Voyager and MBTI

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ryva Brall, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Ugh. I'm surrounded by irrational, feely people. ;)

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    We love :)

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh, Ryva we share the same dominant function Ni.

And I've always strongly identified with 7. I know I have a Janeway fetish but I'm nothing like her, she's my silver screen goddess. 7 is my favorite ever Trek person.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My guesses with explanations:

Janeway: ENFJ

Only an idealist could take the kind of ownership of the situation she did: I will get home, and I will not morally compromise.

Chakotay: ESTJ

People seem to be pegging him as an idealist but I peg him as a Guardian. He out of everybody wanted to settle down and accept the situation.

Tuvok: INTJ

Pretty much all Vulcans exlcuding T'Pol are INTJs.

Paris: ESFP

Also an easy one. A blatant Artisan who is also really extraverted and emotional.

Torres: ISTJ

It's difficult to be a Maquis and not be a Guardian of some sort considering their nesting instinct and their hard stance against idealism.

Kes: ENFP

Obvious Idealist.

Neelix: ESFJ

All of these are obvious except for the J-P distinction.

Doctor: ENTP

The hard attribute here is the N-S. He starts out as an 'S' then kind of moves toward 'N' as he realizes he can get people to treat him like a human. I suppose it's the same with moving from 'I' to 'E' as he refines his social subroutines.

Seven: ISTJ

INTJ is tempting but she is a super-conservative character.

Kim: ISTJ

ISTJ really is a common Star Trek character because it's the writers' go-to for the 'Costello'. The ISTJ is the ultimate straight man, and Chakotay does it for Janeway, Kim does it for Paris, and Seven does it for whoever she's in the room with.

ISTJs from other series:

Dr McCoy
    Data
    Worf
    Garak
    Sisko
    O'Brien
    Dukat
    Winn
    Trip
    Reed

5. Ryva Brall

Both Seven and the Doctor are my favorite Trek characters of all time. (Although if Garak had been a series regular on DS9, he'd probably be my favorite instead.) They're both such great characters, and Ryan and Picardo played them so perfectly.

Also, Teacake, your avatars consistently crack me up. :lol:

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I love Seven and Doc, but feel more kindred spirit with Janeway and Tuvok. But identify most with B'Elanna, though we're nothing alike.

7. teacake

You know I read all sorts of hate crap on this BBS about characters I adore and I just sit there like I'm zombied in front of trash television but when people dismiss 7 as nothing but a way of sexing up the show for ratings I am ENRAGED and I have to defend her. I feel very protective of the character.

8. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I agree with this too, IMHO Seven's character development, her personal journey to humanness, could have been one of the wonders of the series. We got to see tiny glimpses of it, but I for one feel shortchanged because there wasn't more.

9. Ryva Brall

SAME HERE. Even though Jeri Ryan admits that the purpose of her infamous silver catsuit was to gain more viewers, there was more to Seven than that. She was a genuinely complex, interesting character. That much SHOULD be obvious to anyone who watched the show.

I get annoyed at character bashing in general. It's one thing to dislike a character, but to rant about them and use vulgar, hateful speech is just childish. Besides, I think every Trek character has at least some qualities to like, even if I'm not overly fond of them.

10. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

I'm not sure how the exact types will fit each character, but IMO the following loose labels apply:

- Janeway - E
    - Chakotay - I (likes solitude and vision quests)
    - Tuvok - definitely an I
    - Paris - definitely an E
    - The Doctor - definitely an E again
    - Neelix - another E
    - Seven - an I, but mainly due to Borg programming. Her natural personality may have been an E, if she never was assimilated
    - Kes - an I, IMO.
    - Kim - an E. Likes to hang out and party a lot, not just with Tom or B'Elanna.
    - B'Elanna - an I. Not as outgoing as her husband, and to some extent values privacy/solitude based on fear of not controlling her Klingon-esque temper.

11. teacake

And some of my protectiveness is because of what she's been through. I don't feel I have to protect Janeway. But 7 is vulnerable.
    I've got my single pet hate, but I keep out of pet hates forum or even thread when I saw people in the past with the pet hate in their avatar. But yeah, I'm pretty hateful, petty and vulgar :lol:

12. Ryva Brall

"Pet hate". Are you referring to Data's cat, Spot? ;)

13. teacake

Data's transgendered cat? No I love him/her :)

14. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I don't like character-bashing either, but sometimes it's fun to poke fun once in a while, but hateful speech against a fictional character is just ridiculous. I think all Trek characters, so far as from what I've watched, all have qualities that make them unique and important in some way.

And yes...the fact that Seven is a complex, strong, and genuine character SHOULD be obvious to anyone who watched the show. It's not her fault or anyone else's fault if someone can't bother to take their eyes off of her catsuit long enough to notice she is awesome...for reasons OTHER than her body. O_O

15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Sexing up the show may have been the original motive for adding her to the show, but the writers did a better job with her than pretty much every other character in the show besides the Doctor.

16. Ryva Brall

Agreed. Poor Harry. The writers just didn't know what to do with him, did they? There should be a thread called "Harry Kim - What Might Have Been", if there isn't one already.

17. teacake

People's plans for Harry frequently come up but I don't think he'd like any of them.

18. Ryva Brall

You mean, like getting left behind on Deep Space 9 and being forced to work as a busboy at Quark's? He would have met more girls that way.

19. teacake

I think he would make a lovey Dabo boy. I'd tip him to spin my wheel.

20. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

If Harry was assigned to DS9 instead and didn't have that girlfriend Libby, he would have had a good time with those Dabo girls. :lol: Instead he was in the Delta Quadrant...and his sad love life consisted of dating an ex-dead girl who became an alien, getting attacked and almost killed by a group of alien women trying to mate with him who really just wanted him dead anyway, and lusting after a hologram who turned out to be an alien anyway who just wanted to jump Tuvok's bones. And then his crush on Seven... :ack:

Poor Harry...if only he had been assigned to DS9. D:
    I would have liked to see Tom trying to persuade Harry into bringing Dabo girls up to their holosuite. :lol: