Best Trek Uniform?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by WorfsuxDax., Feb 16, 2010.

1. WorfsuxDax.

WorfsuxDax. Cadet

I did a search for this and couldnt find anything but apologies in advance if this has been discussed before.

Which is your favourite Trek uniform, not just in terms of how it looked, but how it helped set the tone of the show?

I loved the grey/black uniforms from the second half of DS9. I thought they emphasised the gravity of the dominion war and looked awesomely naval when seen on the bridge of the Defiant. However, at the same time they werent as overstated as the Wrath of Khan uniforms, they looked functional, but they looked noble as well.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS, post-First Contact, or Star Trek 11. Star Trek 11 went down in my estimation, though, when I watched the film on BD at home and realized that the jerseys didn't just have an interesting texture, but were covered with little Starfleet chevrons, which looked a little silly.

3. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

My favourites are the original series uniforms and the ones from "First Contact" and seasons 5-7 of "Deep Space Nine". I liked the early DS9 uniforms too. I'm also in the minority who liked the seasons 1 and 2 TNG uniforms.

The only ones from the TV shows that I really disliked were the seasons 3 to 7 TNG uniforms. Seeing them again as I re-watch the series, I'm really annoyed by the collars and the way the design of the shirts make Picard and Riker (most prominently, but others have to do it too) have to pull them down constantly.

When I first started watching the original Star Trek series, I thought the original uniforms were kind of uninspired...just shirts basically, but as I saw more of the show, I noticed and began to appreciate all the little details that distinguish them from each other. For example, the different patterns on the arms and the way they've got black shirts under that the collars frame. Out of all the Star Trek uniforms, the original series ones are the only ones I could imagine enjoying wearing in real life without feeling like a doofus (but only on Halloween, of course :p).

4. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My favourite are the VOY/early DS9 jumpsuits, always thought they looked good. There aren't many uniform types I don't like - even learnt to like TMP's - but I'm not a particular fan of the late DS9/TNG films grey suits, the material looks far too thick and cumbersome to me.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The gray First Contact uniforms, followed closely by the red TWOK uniforms.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

TOS and ENT are the only ones that don't look like costumes. The white, shortsleeved uniform worn by Kirk and Sulu in TMP is pretty good too. If the entire cast used that uniform TMP would go up a few notches on that front.

7. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The black/gray uniforms introduced in FC, followed by the early DS9/VOY uniforms, followed by the TNG S3-S7 uniform. The red officer uniforms are alright, but the problem with them is that they don't look functional at ALL. As a friend of mine has mentioned, they work fine as dress uniforms, not so much as duty uniforms.

8. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm rather a fan of the early TNG dress uniforms. They show Picard's legs off to great advantage. ;) My favorite duty uniforms are the early DS9/VOY uniforms followed by the ENT MACO uniforms, the closest thing Trek's come to real earth military wear.

9. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

1.) ENT
    2.) FC and second half of DS9
    3.) TWOK
    4.) TNG seasons three through seven

They're the only ones that actually look like uniforms, not pajamas, IMO.

10. Purdy Bear

Purdy Bear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like Seven of Nines's cat suits, but you must have a brilliant figure to wear it. I also liked the clothes Janeway had on in Concerning Flights when she visited the planet.

I also loved the original series.

11. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

II-VI. Followed by the later DS9/FC ones.

12. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well according to VOY producers, Jeri Ryan's figure wasn't good enough, since they made her wear corsets. :cardie: :rolleyes:

ENT uniforms are the best because, out of all the Trek uniforms, they most look like uniforms people would really wear.

TOS uniforms were pretty good, too (male, that is - mini skirts are nice, but it's not logical to wear them on away missions or even every day sitting at the console). But they're another case of a costume that you really need to have a great figure to pull it off - I never realized that until I saw DS9 "Trials & Tribble-ations" and saw how skinny they made Bashir look, and how stocky they made Sisko look! You can't blame Shatner for wearing a girdle...

The most form-fitting though, other than catsuits, were those pajamas-like early TNG uniforms! They were fun to watch, though very illogical.

13. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Just to advocate something different, TMP's because they looked, to me, more realistic. But my favorite in terms of being realistic I guess would be ENT's.

The ones in the new movie were good, but they changed so much about the ship both inside and out, it seemed odd to me that the uniforms were so close (but of course a little different) from the TV show. Maybe it was because the uniform is actually on the characters themselves, so that felt like something you shouldn't change too much, as we're still supposed to accept Pine and Quinto etc. as the 'real' characters.

14. RegFan

RegFan Commodore Commodore

The ENT uniforms looked the most practical. My favorite uniforms are the VOY and FC ones.

15. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

^ Yes, I'd go for the ENT uniforms as well just for that reason. Although I don't particuarly like the 24th century style rank pips instead of braids, for example.

I like all Starfleet uniforms with the exception of the TMP and the Voyager/Early DS9 styles.

16. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

Toss up between TOS and First COntact!

17. Mr. Scott

Mr. Scott Commander

18. Mr. Scott

Mr. Scott Commander

..............minus the bigass belt buckle. This is Starfleet, not Texas! (sorry)

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The skant.

20. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh, you just reminded me--you know what I wish they'd stuck to their guns with? The male skirts from early TNG. That was some bold stuff, right there.

Edit: and see, the Magical Guardian of Earth agrees! Possibly ironically.

Magnus wore a skirt and nobody ever called him girly.