Best Place To Which You've Ever Traveled

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by T'Bonz, Nov 15, 2012.

1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll always have fond memories of Disneyworld, but the answer to the question is Vegas baby! I did only spend a short time there, so I don't know if I could put up with it all the time.

But there is another place which has the complete opposite atmosphere of Vegas. I stayed in a small villa just outside a tiny village, which was itself outside a slightly larger town outside of Rome. It was so peaceful and beautiful and inspiring it was just amazing.

2. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I took a road trip around the southern part of Iceland last year. Shorter flight from Boston to there then to the West Coast of the US. But it felt like I was on another planet with the extreme and exotic scenery. The people were very friendly, the dollar is actually worth something over there, and the food....er, let's just say I didn't gain any weight on that vacation. Try the hakarl!

I've road tripped cross country and regionally a few times. I've always wanted to do the train thing though. The dynamic has to be so much different than driving on the Interstate. Denver is a quirky place, though about all I did there was take in a Rockies game. If you want odd duck, try Boulder. It's like a Rocky Mountain version of Burlington, except the mountains are higher, and so are the residents.

3. Naira

Naira Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It depends on the kind of travel.

City life: Berlin is great! Lots of things to do, people are on the streets all the time when the weather permits it and it is very easy to move around and experience the city. Also, Hong Kong. I was amazed by that city. The tricky part is to visit when the weather is good.

Nature: I enjoyed Norway, mainly because we hired a car and drove around, visiting fjords. It's an expensive country though, driving around costs a lot.

Culture: I personally liked New Zealand, because the Maori culture is very different than my own and I enjoyed learning about them (I did not get a chance to see nature there...).

All-around experience: No place like home, I guess. Far from my hometown, but I enjoyed my stay at the Greek island of Santorini a lot! Just pick some non-high-season period, you don't want to have to deal with all the tourists chasing the sunset... The island may not have the best beaches on average (even though one of my all time favorites is hidden there) but the views are great, the non-touristy villages are very pretty and I found it has a nice calming effect on the soul. Again, avoid the high-season!

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

It was either my two month internship in Alaska or the two week bus journey through southern Mexico. Both forays were amazing. Sun not setting for most of my time in Alaska, the fjords and snow patches at sea level in July, and going through all those villages, deserts, mountains and rainforests of Mexico.

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Like Naira, for me it depends on kind of travel (work, personal, solo or companion) and experience. But I'd nominate Japan as it's somewhere I'd return in a heartbeat. Probably like many here I've grown up with Japanese movies, anime, etc, so to experience it firsthand was like stepping into fantasy-made-flesh. What really surprised me though is how much it reminded me, geographically and culturally, of UK in a way few other places have, despite obvious differences. Plus being tall, travelling on JR locals and subway, felt like a colossus :)

6. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I just went there a couple of weeks ago! I agree it's a really nice city and there's something for everyone.

7. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Urban: NYC. Culture, excitement, walkability, Central Park, family.

Nature: Colorado. Mountains!

Combination: Santa Fe. Art, Native American culture, mountains.

8. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not been many places that I can remember too well, but I'll vote my favourite place aside from my homecity would be Mugla province, in Turkey. I've been twice with my family, once in 2003 and then again this summer, both to different cities in the province. It was a really lovely place, I guess I enjoyed doing more with my family than the place itself. It does though have some really nice places to just sit and enjoy life, which can be hard these days. It also had a pretty cool mix of places to go, like a clubby area, and a quieter area by the front in Fethiye to just sit and drink.

9. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

After all the great places I have seen like Berlin, Venice, Heidelberg, Dresden, Milan, Verona, Munchen, Yellowstone, Arches, Canyonlands, and so many others, it's traveling back home that I wind up enjoying the most in the end.

10. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Minsk.

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had the opportunity to travel all across the USA over the summer. I absolutely loved Boston for some reason. Just seemed like it more of a big town than a bustling city like I expected. Minneapolis and Chicago are close seconds.

12. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Paris was a very, very close second to Amsterdam for me. I just loved the place. The people were friendly, the food divine and the sights were amazing.

Next time I went back, the husband was with me and he loves it now too. We've been back once again since then and I probably could convince him to visit it again.

I made sure my girls got one trip abroad before they went out on their own and we went to France - mostly to Paris. They all loved it too, especially my eldest.

13. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I really liked Mumbai, and would love to visit that city again under better personal circumstances. It was the most different place I've been, culturally, from my own background, and I learned a lot while there. I was awed at the size of the city, even though I spent much of my childhood living in big cities and have lived in NYC for 11 years. Mumbai just seemed futuristic in how endless it was. And that sort of futuristic vibe was contrasted with how ancient the city was. I love history and the juxtaposition of the historic and the modern (this is also what I loved about Cairo and Puebla City).
    The diversity of the population was also a wonderful aspect, because I got to meet a lot of people from a lot of different cultures; Indians from all over the country, as well as some foreign expats. Though I speak no Hindi, nor any of the other many languages native to India, it wasn't at all a hinderance, since so many Indians speak English (I also really enjoyed learning some of the quirks of Indian English). The only time I had to use another language besides English was when I had tea with a couple of African tourists who spoke French.

Here's one of my favorite pictures of me in Mumbai:

[​IMG]

Other than Mumbai I quite enjoyed Puebla City. Mexico is a beautiful and culturally rich country, and I think few tourists penetrate deep enough. I'd like to visit Cairo again, though I admit that Egypt was the only country where I felt a tinge of concern for my safety (specifically, as a woman), not in Cairo, mind you, but outside the city.

14. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The Maldives are the most lovely place I've visited. The beaches are spectacular. If there's one downside, it's that many of the islands are so small that you can't spend more than a few days on one before you start to get restless.

Bangkok was also a very nice place. Also, Kuala Lumpur......lots of places are cool.

15. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't travel a lot. I like other big cities, they're interresting, but I always find Paris more pleasant and I feel genetically programmed to be a snob about it ;)

The most beautiful place I've been is certainly Porquerolles.
    I also like Brittany, there is "something special" there.

16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. A certain village surrounded by Roman strongholds :D

17. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't even mention the magic potion ;)

18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    New York City, followed by Washington, D.C. and Virginia Beach.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite places that I've been to which aren't named New York? That would be Boston and Washington DC. Not just for the baseball, either.

Next year I plan to take a mega-trip and hit all five ballparks in California. That should be awesome.

20. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Apart from Scotland, you mean. ;)

I may have said this before, but my one favourite place in the whole world is the tiny island of Moutohora, in the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand. One of the calmest places on Earth.

I also love any opportunity to visit London, although I'm not sure if I would want to live there permanently. (I have actually lived there, for about 5 years. I didn't like it much, although I was only an infant...)