Things To Fix

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by tharpdevenport, Jan 27, 2010.

1. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

With the remastered TOS episodes, certain things were fixed, like a missing phaser beam, background added to a scene were it was compeltely missing for some reason, so forth.

I know a couple of TNG episodes have filming equipment presant, but I wonder: if TNG were gone back to to fix, what would you have fixed?

I don't mean the crappy changing of special effects and other things they did with the controversial TOS remastering, but legitimate things like boom mics, incorrectly stated facts, erroneous continuity, so forth.

EDIT:
    I am not talking about retconning, or changing things to fit how you think it should have been, but legitimate mistakes.

Any auggestions?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Vengeance Factor.

I think it's morally incompatible with Riker's character for him to kill Yuta in that way. They should photoshop a phaser into her hand, have her shoot first at point-blank range, but miss. Then Riker can go ahead and shoot her.

3. Pseudo

Pseudo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, is this a fan of "A New Hope - Special Edition" I see before me? ;)

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

How exactly do you fix incorrectly stated facts and erroneous continuity with new remastered effects?

5. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

The only thing I would change would be the "phaser beam coming out of a torpedo tube" shots throughout "Darmok."

6. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Neither said nor implied that. So, you don't have anuthing to contribute to the topic then, huh?

7. Pseudo

If money were no object, I'd re-do all the special effects as CGI and add collars (and pants where necessary) to all the uniforms in season one and two.

8. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

^ That's what I immediately thought of as well.

S1 is perhaps in need of the biggest overhaul. Off the top of my head, I can think of...

1) The blue-coloured bussards as the Ent-D is surrounded by the Q barrier in EaF. I think the same thing occured in Q Who where the Ent-D fired phasers at the Borg Cube.
    2) "Rig main phasers" in EaF should come from the saucer ventral phaser strip instead of the Captain's yacht.
    3) A missing warp flash in Where No One Has Gone Before.
    4) The Enterprise approaching science ship in The Naked Now at impulse when dialogue says at warp.
    5) "Aye sir, full impulse."

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Like in Generations, when Riker complains of a "pretty big margin of error?" And Picard responds, "Much too big, Number One." Yeah, a big margin for error is a good thing, guys. A narrow margin, the opposite, would be bad. Much too big, indeed.

But why should they fix things like that? I get a good chuckle at that scene every time I watch it.

10. Pseudo

In those circumstances a big margin for error may be seen as a we could make a mistake easily. And a narrow margin of error means something quite different.

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you kinda did. But I'll err on the side of miscommunication. So what did you mean, then?

And to answer your question: I would redo all the exterior ship shots with new starship or space station designs, i.e. The Best of Both Worlds, Redemption, 11000110, The Pegasus. I could care less about anything else.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  12. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

I'd change a scene in "Q Who." When Picard orders Worf to lock on to the exact location of the Borg tractor beam and destroy it, Worf fires at a spot on the Borg Cube that's not even close to the beam's origin point. It takes him three more attempts to hit the origin spot.

I'd change it so that the first attempt hits the origin point, but doesn't do any damage. Then, Worf hits it three more more times with larger and larger phaser power until the beam is terminated.

13. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Could you? Why don't you, then? :confused:

Ah, but what makes you think the origin spot of the tractor beam is literally the beam's origin? A Borg cube wouldn't necessarily be that obvious. The tractor beam's power could have been routed through another part of the ship. It wasn't, seemingly, but Worf didn't know that at the time. Or he did and the targeting sensors were being thrown off by interference. Or, maybe, there were several power conduits running power to the tractor emitter and Worf needed to destroy all of them before it would disengage.

Admittedly that does sound more visually striking, yeah.:techman:

---

I'd assume any enhancement project would replace all space scenes with new ones anyway, so many specific complaints would be moot if such a thing happened (ie. they wouldn't intentionally remake the mistakes). But addtionally I would like to see fewer stock shots reused, so new compositions made for each episode. I'd also change a lot of guest starships to commpletely new ones / different classes (too many Excelsiors!).

Then there's the matte paintings - make new ones! I don't want to see 'Angel One' everywhere, thanks!

Smaller errors and things, okay, let's see. Some of these might be quite tricky or unrealistic, but work with me here:

- Make Cyrus Redblock and his crony (The Big Goodbye) disappear more quickly when they step out of the holodeck. I've never liked that they stand there for a few seconds off the grid. If changing the timing is impossible for dialogue reasons, just have them appear to be transparent for longer. It's a static shot anyway, so it wouldn't be hard.

- Change Picard's line about 'Andonian tea' (Conspiracy) to Andorian tea. I mean, it's close enough anyway, right? Andorian culture should be more prominent in Star Fleet command HQ. They could also be clever and make the tea blue. Oh, I'd also composite a few more people roaming the halls in the background. Yeah, I know it was supposed to be quiet, but that was a little too quiet.

- Digitally replace the actor who plays the illusion of old Wesley (Hide and Q) with new footage of Wil Wheaton. :lol: Change the dialogue to "twenty years older" instead of ten (or whatever it is now).

- During any scene where the captain's announcement is heard in the hallways or quarters or anywhere on the ship is shown ([eg. Where No One Has Gone Before), replace a couple of shots with the interior of the nacelle control room that we see in season 7's Eye Of The Beholder, purely because it always bothered me that we never see this room prior to this final season episode.

- Replace all dialogue where Robert Duncan McNeill's character in The First Duty is referred to as Nicholas Locarno with new dialogue where he's referred to as Thomas Paris. It's easier than fixing all of Voyager. :p

14. M.Robison

M.Robison Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Tapping the badge to communicate with anyone on the Enterprise.

This is a dumb rant of mine but It seems to bug me any time I was TNG. According to Mike Okuda's TNG Tech Manuals description on how Intraship comms work in a nutshell Is one person states name and person to call, the computer finds that person and activates the speakers at that location.

So the manual states that to the computer the badge tap is force of habit and not necessary to communicate yet in many episodes someone does it anyway, but why bother?

Like I said a dumb peeve:rolleyes: but it chaps me every time.

15. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is this one of those cross-Atlantic language things?

As a Brit, I’ve noticed the phrase “I could care less” come out of American mouths a lot over the years, when I know they mean (grammatically) "I couldn't care less". Or at least I assume that’s what they mean!

Then again, I pronounce the "i" in Aluminium as well ;)

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I'd change most of those shots of the Enterprise cruising next to an Excelsior class ship and replace them with CGI of them with various other Starfleet vessels. Just to diversify the ship designs.

17. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The "could care less" error bugs me, too, and I'm a Yank.

Do you mean you pronounce the extra, non-existent "i" in aluminum?
    :rolleyes:
    Doug

18. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be the one in Aluminium!

:)

Seriously though, any idea where that "i" disappears to in the pronunciation?

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Okay...I "couldn't" care less. Happy now?;)

20. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, I would just leave TNG alone. I'm fine with it the way it is. But for full disclosure, I would have left TOS alone too, as well as Star Wars IV to VI. I guess I'm from the school of 'just because you can, does not alway mean you should'. I feel that tinkering with something that might have minor flaws, but for the most part is fine the way it is, tends to lessen it's charm a bit.

But hey, that's just me. I also notice the white starting to show up in my beard.