A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Does thhe Martinverse has something similar to the Star Wars Essential Atlas.

Something examining the Lore of the world.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

There's at least one book coming out soon, and another later. There's The Lands of Ice and Fire, which will be a world atlas (released at the end of the month) and World of Ice and Fire, which is supposed to be a companion of sorts, although there is no solid release date for this, nor would I guess there is likely to be until GRRM gets close to finishing the series.

3. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

There isn't a solid release date yet, but there'll be one sooner than that. The world book has always been planned to come out between Dance and Winds, and Martin is working heavily on his portions of it right now. I would imagine his hope now is to deliver it soonish for publication next year. Then again, his hope last year was to deliver it last year for publication this year, so...

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I've gathered, 'The World of Ice and Fire' was expanded a bit following the show's success and given a bigger budget for art and other extra production values. Might explain a bit of a delay, in addition to George's slow writing pace of late.

6. Brendan Moody

The world book has been in development for a long time. It was first announced in 2006 for publication in late 2007/early 2008, back when Martin was deluding himself that he could finish Dance very rapidly after Feast. Then it kept getting pushed back along with Dance; by June 2011, when Martin had finished Dance and was turning his attention to various other projects, the world book was "almost three years late" and "need[ed] to be finished and delivered by year's end." That was, I would guess, the big reason why he reported around that time that he wouldn't even be starting The Winds of Winter until early 2012; he was hoping to finish the world book instead. Obviously that didn't happen; as recently as mid-September of this year he was still working on it, reporting (oh, the surprise) that the new material was taking, and becoming, longer than he had expected.

Looking now at the subforum of Westeros.org where the world book is being discussed (including by the co-authors and forum owners), I see that the text of the world book had been finalized by the end of last year and they were just waiting on artwork... but then while the artwork was being completed Martin decided to add more material, including the stuff he's been working on recently. The map book, a fairly recent development, ended up taking the publication slot originally planned for the world book, which is now on track for release sometime late next year.

7. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

8. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    No surprises there, as it's been speculated for a while that the Red Wedding would be the ideal subject for the ninth episode of the season given that ASOS is divided into two seasons.

Looking forward to it, anyway, as it's one of the most wrenching and brutal passages of the novels.

9. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

It was officially when I stopped trying to predict what was going to happen, that's for sure... :eek:

10. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ No kidding. :lol:

I'm curious just what shenanigans GRRM has up his sleeve for TWOW and ADOS. :)

Cheers,
    -CM-

11. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

12. 137th Gebirg

Good interview, but some of the translation errors were a bit distracting. Martin strikes me as a very precise speaker, in a similar manner of how he writes his books. When there is a slight deviation by the writer/interviewee away from English, or being written by a person who doesn't have a complete command of the English language it seems to really interrupt the flow of the content and deteriorated even more towards the end. Other than that, looking at what I perceive to be the content of the interview, I thought it was well done and not full of a bunch of cliched questions.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  13. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I read that episode 8 will probably feature Sansa and Tyrion's wedding. I think it was on winteriscoming.net.

I wonder if they will reference the document Robb had his bannermen sign before his death?

14. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

The two events you mention are not contiguous in the books.

15. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

At this point I don't see why they would bother with little things like that. They've clearly shown a willingness to change things and a disinclination towards such nuance and foreshadowing.

16. Brendan Moody

If the letter's going to be at all important later on, I'm sure they'll work it in. I don't tend to think it will be-- whatever Jon does after A Dance with Dragons, it probably isn't going to be taking up the banner of the King in the North, and if all that happens is him refusing the possibility, that's not important enough from the TV writers' perspective to be worth dramatizing.

I imagine the order of King's Landing vs. Riverlands events in the book is likely to be jumbled a bit. If the show stuck very faithfully to the sequence of events in the book, they'd have to do Joffrey's wedding in the first or second episode of season four, and then the rest of A Storm of Swords would only take up half the season. That might be the plan, but I doubt it. We already know, for example, that Oberyn Martell isn't being introduced this season, even though in the book he arrives in King's Landing before the Red Wedding.

17. 137th Gebirg

I'm curious if the letter "naturalizing" Jon as a full-blooded Stark is even going to be worth the paper it's printed on, seeing that...
    ...damn near everyone who would have recognized its legitimacy is now dead or imprisoned. For that matter, does the letter even exist any more? And, yes, I would agree that Jon really doesn't have much interest in lording over the smoking hole that is Winterfell, particularly since he turned it down quite promptly when Stannis offered it to him. That, plus, by the end of ADWD, he has become quite occupied with the rather egregious problem of possibly being dead at the hands of his brothers. Melisandre to the rescue! :D

18. Brendan Moody

A few people who know the content of the declaration are alive and free, mostly notably Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont, who have the physical copy, and whose whereabouts since their departure for Greywater Watch during A Storm of Swords are unknown. But there's hardly anything in the way of an army to press a claim by a new King in the North... at the moment. How the northmen currently allied with Stannis or with Bolton might react to a Stark resurgence is an open question, though, as we agree, probably a moot one.

19. Brendan Moody

As the release of The Lands of Ice and Fire approaches, a few preview images of parts of the map have been posted. Last week Westeros.org had a fairly dull piece of the map of the North that didn't really add anything we hadn't seen before, but this week there's a section of the Braavos map that's a little more interesting. MTV Geek has four images. Two of them (a snippet of the Beyond the Wall map including Castle Black and Craster's Keep, and a close-up of the northeastern part of Valyria) are just prettier versions of maps we've seen before, but there's another piece of Braavos, and something from a map called "The Known World" that features a number of locations I don't think have ever been referenced before; presumably they're in unvisited parts of Essos or Sothoryos.

20. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain