Speculation: Must the villain be Gary Mitchell, or... ?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by los2188, Oct 15, 2012.

1. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Hehehe. We may be onto something, here....let's hope for the best!

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Ships? Shirt rips? Heh. :lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  3. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

where are my glasses? :lol:

4. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

Well okay....I stand corrected, however, I still think it will be Gary Mitchell, and if not him, the villain will be Soran. Soran is getting back at Kirk because Kirk helped Picard stop him...even though they're all still in the Nexus. ;)

5. ralph

Soran? No! He appeared when Kirk was retired.

The ideal character is Gary Mitchell, but the mystery is the spaceship on the planet, which seems to be old and Terran. I think the ship and the volcano are the key to identifying the villain.

6. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

I've been saying since we first saw Cumberbatch fighting Spock that I think he is playing a Klingon infiltrator. I can't imagine a movie called Into Darkness about a more personal-level villain like Khan or Gary Mitchell when the producers have said that the events of this film will thrust "everything" into a darker light a la Empire Strikes Back. Klingons are a galaxy-level threat.

Consider too that Benicio del Toro was originally supposed to have the role. Dude looks like a TOS era Klingon to begin with.

7. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm calling shenanigans on this cover art. The word "Darkness" is misspelled in the title.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Whoever made the error seems to have fixed it. Here's the cover again straight from Diamond's site...

[​IMG]

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The cover was raced into preparation for a presentation. Typos in titles in draft covers are quite common.

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, it's not a Pirate Story afterall? Arrrrrr....Darrkness

11. ralph

What do you think about this ship? There is a number. My guess it is a Earth Ship, and maybe an old ship.

[​IMG]

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was described as a "space barge" by whoever it was that leaked the photos. It certainly doesn't look like a Starfleet ship.

13. ralph

It is difficult to know what this photo means, but a barge is used for the transport of cargo or people.
    I don´t know, but it is looks like an old ship that has crashed on planet.
    Ok, it is not necessarily the Botany Bay.
    I would like to see a Gary Mitchell, but this ship, Quinto and Cumberbatch Fight look like Khan.

14. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I asked Bob Orci via Twitter and he responded:
    So it seems that there is a new interview coming about Star Trek Ongoing. This is important because in issue #1 and #2 there was Gary Mitchell. So I really begin to think that we might get Mitchell after all, I don't see another issue of the comics that would conflict with the movie.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was already asked and answered a few months ago. He did an interview where he was pushed into saying the comics were canon, and then he immediately retracted it in the comments.

I've only read the first two issues of Star Trek Ongoing, and I've only read the first two Starfleet Academy books. They were not very good. And I'm talking about the stories themselves, ignoring the myriad continuity errors and ignorance of Trek lore (comm badges and replicators in the 23rd century? Rape gangs roaming San Fransisco?) If this is supposed to be nuTrek's canon and somehow important (although I fail to see how being called "canon" gives them any more worth than the hundreds of non-canon Trek comics and books out there), then IMO those in charge haven't a clue what they're doing. Four novels were written and planned for release in 2010, by authors who know the Trek universe backwards and have written fantastic Treks in the past. Yet they were cancelled, seemingly in favour of this. The nuTrek Expanded Universe has been such a disappointment.

Rant over.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Not cancelled. Placed on hiatus. Big difference.

The "Starfleet Academy" novels are prequels. Less likely to conflict with a new movie. The "ST Ongoing", by retelling TOS episodes, can also be more easily constrained.

The four authors might "know the Trek universe backwards", but they do not know Orci & Kurtzman's universe beyond one movie. Yet.

Once JJ's team is done with their movies, Pocket Books will be keen to recoup the costs of the four original novels they have already paid the authors to write. They may well require tweaking, and can then incorporate info from the latter movies. It's much like the situation with the second and third "Vulcan's Soul" novels, which went on hiatus for twelve months so that the new-to-canon Remans of "Nemesis" could be shoehorned seemlessly into the ongoing narrative.

17. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh. "Shoehorned seamlessly" is my new favorite oxymoron. :)

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1