STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dusty Ayres, Dec 18, 2009.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think that Kirk's Enterprise was the biggest ship in the fleet (or the flagship). Both Gene Roddenberry's novelization of TMP and Franz Joseph's blueprints referred to the Enterprise as a "Heavy Cruiser." Heavy Cruisers were medium size cruisers with medium size guns and powerful torpedo armaments, designed for long range and high speed. Usual not the biggest ship in any fleet.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had forgotten all about BillJ. Now I can't forget him. :(

3. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

I love that they did Star Trek XI it breathes new life into the franchise don't you think. I love the original series as well.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gee, that's too bad.

We were never shown or given any indication that a larger, more powerful or faster ship than the Enterprise existed anywhere in the fleet. On at least one occasion, "Tomorrow Is Yesterday," Kirk referred to the ship with considerable pride as follows:

CHRISTOPHER: Must have taken quite a lot
    to build a ship like this.

KIRK: There are only 12 like it in the fleet.

Even if one concedes the possibility of a larger ship somewhere that doesn't mitigate the unlikely nonsense of so young a man achieving the rank of Captain and being put in command of so sophisticated and desirable a command as the Enterprise - and testament to how coveted such a billet is and what a remarkable vessel a starship like Kirk's is was referenced over and over again in the original series.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't it possible that in this new reality, Mr. and Mrs. Chekov had two sons and named the second son Pavel? Whereas in the other reality as we all know, they had only one son, who they named Pavel. Who's to say that these people all have 100% the same DNA as the folks in the other reality who have the same names? Might explain the differences in looks - they're siblings rather than the originals. ;)

Which doesn't necessarily mean their original universe siblings exist. Could just be a case of conception occurring a minute or two before or after it "should" have. A small bump in the space-time continuum, and someone pops out looking a bit different, maybe even with a somewhat different personality even if the upbringing is pretty much the same. I'd be surprised if you could mess with things and not have incidents like that.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

He's Chekov. That's it, bottom line.

7. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^Just with curly hair. And a goofball air.

8. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But useful. :lol:

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Step up from bad wig and worse comb over.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Koenig was more like bad hair and a goofball accent.

11. CDR6

CDR6 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ok folks, we're tilting at windmills here. This arguement is getting old...and stale. J.J. and company got the characters right, he made the single engine starships cool...(to borrow a phrase, "light years ahead of anything else...including the the big "E" herself.") At least Starships are now driven by some sort of thrust instead of "double talk generators".

Beyond that, we lost 40 years of story/history to a couple of hack writers. The devil is in the details...ship's interior, fork lifts, blimp hangars, breweries, "I" beams and bridge rivits. Stolen special effects from Star Wars...etc-etc. I have been in film since the days of cine 8 and here to tell ya, his camera work is at best... amaturish.

And for this he gets lauded for saving Star Trek. (Boy are we in trouble.)

My arguements will never be excepted by the "new wave" Trekkies. (They can't even figure out how to spell "new" yet.) Conversely, I will never except their Trek arguements either.

Therefore we need to live with it, good or bad in our respective opinions, and get on with what's next...if anything... End of angry rant...

12. Admiral Buzzkill

You're not actually establishing any credibility at all with that claim.

On the other hand, as a very very "old wave" Trek fan I can not only spell "new" but also "amateurish," "argument" and "accept."

I'm pretty happy with the new film, too. :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  13. Devon

Right.

Nope. Maybe you lost 40 years of Trek history, on your merit of course, but I didn't. It's amazing that these supposed "hack writers" have supernatural powers.

So you "lost 40 years of story" because of cinematography choices that you didn't like?

We?

Oh boy.....

14. CDR6

CDR6 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Devon,

The "40 years" remark was in reference to all that material/back story that has been built up during that time, and the writers couldn't find anything to write about, even with all that available to draw on.

In theory one could write the story about how the group got together by just using original back story as source material, instead of what we were treated to. Of course it would have lacked the fire works, but hey, that's what Star Wars is for.

Regards,
    Chuck

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If they were going to use the TOS characters they needed a clean slate. The 40 years of backstory is a bit of a straightjacket. They managed several nods to that backstory though.

16. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^"Ex-wife took the whole dang planet in the divorce..."

(Reference to Fandom tradition, as is Riverside Iowa, Winona & George Kirk, etc.)

"...all I got left is my bones...."

17. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow..But hey, opinions are like assholes..

I have a total NON Trek movie fan that works next to me..20 years old and typical of his generation..

He liked it so much in the theater, he got the Blu-Ray..and loaded the digital copy on his Ipod..he watched it at work during breaks..and couldn't stop talking about the movie..
    His friends (according to him) are the same way..
    we are getting new fans..who are now interested in the old series..and movies
    it's no longer an exclusive club anymore, and I'm very glad to see it..

I liked the new movie..the most important thing to me was a GOOD MOVIE, not adherence to the aspects of "continuity"(AKA Canon as if it's some form of religion or something) after all,even the Original series had continuity issues between the 3 seasons..

It was a nice way to free up the writers, without jettisoning all that went before..

and a good summer blockbuster..

If one doesn't like it, that's fine..keep to your old Trek series and movies..the rest of us will move on..including this TOS First Run fan from September 1966 to today..

18. Devon

Of course they did, as mentioned above.

They did.

Terrific. :techman:

Or the reason for making it.

19. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

:lol: still find this attitude amusing since some of the people i know in person who loved the movie were all fans of first run star trek.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That movie would have never been greenlit.