Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

^ yeah i thought Defenders #1 was a good start. i liked how Iron Fist was reading Marvelman.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to say that I had wrote off Avenging Spider-Man completely when it was first announced...but I've read both the first two issues and it's a whole lot of fun!!! Wouldn't have thought Red Hulk and Peter would have made an interesting duo but was wrong on that account! Making Jameson the Mayor of New York was one of the greatest things to come out of Brand New Day.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Agreed about Defenders #1, a very strong start.

This was the only Marvel book I got this week (and Action #4 was the only DC book. It's rare that I get out of the Comic Book Store for under $10). I still haven't gotten Uncanny X-Men #2-- Diamond has f%@#ed up the shipment two weeks running. I told the manager at the shop to tell Diamond that I was going digital thanks to their incompetence (Not really, but Diamond doesn't know that).

4. Saga

i kinda wrote off Avenging Spidey when it was announced too...but like you i've found the first two issues to be a lot of fun. love the Rulk/Spidey interaction and Jameson had some good lines in issue #2. plus, its just nice to see Joe Mad doing comics again.

5. Admiral_Young

Defenders was pretty awesome. Anyone got the clues that teased the future throughout the book? Here they all are together.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/07/those-mysterious-defenders-1-phrases-hint-at-marvels-future/

I'm guessing the universe will break has to do with the coming of the Phoenix. Also it's about time Stephan Strange got his own ongoing book. I think the last time there were plans to do this JMS was in talks to write it. Fraction did do a great job with this issue writing wise. The art was fantastic. I'm really coming around to liking Betty as Red Hulk. It'll be interesting to see how she interacts with just Hulk.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I didn't really care about Defenders, but I wasn't very interested in the line-up. Avenging Spider-Man is fun, though.

So I guess Bendis' big Avenger-y finale is going to be about Ultron. The Free Comic Book Day Marvel book is a reprint of Avengers 12.1 which ended with Ultron returning to Earth. It's funny how they put out that issue months and months ago, yet nobody ever mentions Ultron after that! I hope it's a crossover between all the Avengers books!

7. Admiral_Young

We don't know what Bendis' final arc on either Avengers series is going to be but as I said it's probably a good bet it will be the Ultron War arc that will start next year after he wraps up the big Hammer War arc that is going on now.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I get confused every time I see "Hammer War", lol... did you make that up? Why don't you call it Fear Itself? :)

9. Turtletrekker

^He's not actually refering to Fear Itself, but rather to the return of Norman Osborn and HAMMER in the current Avengers arcs, but I can see where your confusion came from. :rommie:

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ooooooooooooooh. Ok. That makes sense now. Well, if it was HAMMER War. Or H.A.M.M.E.R. War :lol:

11. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should call it HAMMER Time.

12. Admiral_Young

Yeah I've seen that used around some sites now already :) I am still waiting to find out what HAMMER stands for. That was supposed to be one of Victoria Hand's tasks :)

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So I had a fairly large stack from yesterday and made time for one book before I flew out to Philly.

Read Defenders #1 and found it an enjoyable read. They set it up so Hulk makes an appearance and seemingly brings the group together THEN establishes why he can't stick around and gives them Betty as a surrogate role for the group.

I look forward to issue #2.

14. Admiral_Young

Yeah as mentioned in the Defenders thread Hulk isn't on the team because of his own book, he's just there as a plot device to get Betty on the team.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    There's a Defenders only thread?
    I didn't see it on the first two pages, must've overlooked it.

16. Admiral_Young

Yeah it was started by WhoFan. Probably been pushed back a few pages by now.

17. Turtletrekker

Here are next week's Marvel releases...

I'll be getting Avengers 1959 #4, Avengers Academy #23, Avengers: X-Sanction #1, Journey Into Mystery #632, New Avengers #19, S.H.E.I.L.D. #4 and hopefully Uncanny X-Men #2, shipping two weeks late from Diamond to my shop.

18. Admiral_Young

I'll be getting Avengers: X-Sanction #1 , Uncanny X-Men #2, New Avengers #19, Sheild #4, and Ultimate Comics X-Men #4.

19. Admiral_Young

20. Saga