Sci-Fi movies/TV shows released this year?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Nov 19, 2011.

1. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

hey guys, i really love science fiction and i haven't come across anything new so i've been watching old Trek and SG1 to get my fill; i'm still loving watching the SG1 battles between the Goul'd and Replicator ships in season 8. i always seem to miss out on good shows. is there anything out there at the moment? terra nova looks decent, but i was looking for something with ships or something futuristic.

what's terra nova been like so far?

2. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

I've heard it isn't that great.

As for new shows to try out, I'm biased here but you might find Doctor Who interesting. It has a lot of robots.

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been watching Terra Nova. It's decent. If you're interested in Terra Nova, watching the surprisingly similar (and similar in quality) Falling Skies is also not a bad idea.

Movie wise Source Code and The Adjustment Bureau were very good. Heard Another Earth and Melancholia were good, did not see them.

Don't recall any space opera releases this year, good or bad, but perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough.

4. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I would suggest Space Battleship Yamato which came out in 2010 for you.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Terra Nova is bad, don't bother with it.

The Walking Dead is terrific. Some folks are carping about how sloooow it is, but since they did a great job locking in the characters in the first season, I find it easy to be patient. A slow story about fascinating people is still good.

American Horror Story
    is a mess, writing-wise, and it's not actually very scary, but the cast is great and it's incredibly entertaining, if you don't mind a lot of sexy, violent, demented sleaze and tawdry gimmicks being thrown at you, rapid-fire fashion, so you don't even dream of reaching for the zapper. I gotta like any show that tries that hard to keep my attention.

Once Upon a Time
    is interesting, and you might check it out if the idea of traditional fairy tales being rewritten in some surprising ways appeals to you.

Grimm is a paint-by-numbers fantasy cop show of the type we've all seen too many times before.

Falling Skies at least has actual aliens in it, which makes it a rarity nowadays. I like the premise and the characters, even if the first season was a bit repetitive - fight the aliens, run away, etc - but where they left off, the second season could be going very interesting places that will kick the drama up a notch or two. They need to do something.

Dunno about the movies, the only genre movie I saw in the theater this year was Captain America - I loved it! :bolian:

6. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also: Rise of the Planet of the Apes is basically the best Planet of the Apes film since the original, and more importantly was just very good and a lot of fun.

'Terrific' is a strong word, but I would say it's basically watchable television, and has a strong hook. The show's focus on its characters is a mixed blessing in that the character writing is very erratic; getting under Shane's skin is more fun then around half the underwritten cast.

If we're drifting into fantasy territory, though (re: Grimm, Once Upon A Time etc), Game of Thrones was pretty much a powerhouse of this year's television and can pretty easily be claimed to be one of the best shows of the year and - in my opinion - the best high fantasy TV series, period. Really good if one wants an epic pseudo-medieval political drama with lots of scheming and brooding and the weird fantastical stuff pushed far into the background, skulking like a lit fuse. Great show all around.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's terrific for the characters alone. Also, look at the context: very few shows worth watching and even fewer among genre shows. It's definitely the best of the shows on my list.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Space Opera (Outer Space SciFi) or Robots, can't really think of any aside from Doctor Who this year.

I do echo Temis' suggestion of Falling Skies for Aliens (Alien invasion of Earth TV Series, there is some Mechanial Walkers, that are Death Robot-like).

Also for Zombies, Walking Dead is very good (With alot of LOST vibe to Character focus and the way scenes are shot, and they've had a couple enlightening flashbacks)

I like Once Upon a Time alot, but, it doesn't have Robots or Space Battle battles or Alien, it's Fantasy, a twisted take on Fairy Tales

Something you may not have seen before, that I think you'd enjoy is Space: Above and Beyond, if you've never seen it.

9. ReadyAndWilling

ok, i just looked up 'space opera' and nothing came up. same with robots?

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Those aren't the names of TV shows.

11. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Cowboys vs aliens.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And REAL STEEL was all about robots.

13. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Transformers: Dark of the Moon of course also featured robots, including one voiced by Leonard Nimoy.

14. ReadyAndWilling

ok, thanks guys. i might check out cowboys and aliens.

i'd love something to terminator 2 or terminator: salvation. are there any movies out there like this? something where we get to see the viewpoint of the machines would be ideal.

15. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

There's the Terminator TV series from a few years back, The Sarah Conner chronicles. It has Summer Glau as a female 'good' Terminator and various bad terminators. However it's in a seperate continuity from the last two films, which killed off Sarah and started the Future War.

16. ReadyAndWilling

ya, i loved TSC. anything else out there? even if it's from a couple years ago?

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Have you seen Westworld? It's got an unstoppable killer robot played by Yul Brynner.

18. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't see anyone mention Super 8 and while it was a little slow and sappy at times I enjoyed the film. The children who acted in the film I also thought did a great job.

19. ReadyAndWilling

i just saw the trailer and it looks pretty good. i'll check it out some time, thanks.

20. ReadyAndWilling

ok i'm watching outlander and it's not bad at all.