Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it is. It makes you wonder if you could leverage that to power certain things. Like build a steel rod that would have an affinity for lightning, which would send it somewhere to be stored for a continuous resource. Speaking of which, I wish water could be used that way too. If one could build moving parts, you could literally have a water wheel.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I wish water physics let things float besides the crafted boats. :( I'd love to take my ship out.

3. Owain Taggart

Yeah. Btw, you should maybe expand on that dock of yours. Could have a whole little dock town ;)

4. Robert Maxwell

I'll build a whole fuckin' marina!

5. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

You can feel free to connect it to the canal I am (slowly and labourously) building.

6. Owain Taggart

Hah, that's actually what I meant.

7. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So where were you standing when you got hit Owain? Would be cool if you were standing out in an open field, just like they say not to in RL. :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  8. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I was standing on sand making an artificial lake the one time I've been struck by lightning. It came out of nowhere too, the weather was clear when it happened. At least, I assume it was lightning, since I didn't see any evidence of creeper damage nearby.

9. Owain Taggart

I was standing right in my house while working on it when suddenly hell from above struck me.

10. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I experienced my first lightning storm today, but didn't even see any lightning hit the ground, just flashes in the sky. It brings a great atmosphere and my observation level in my Mount Vulcan base is perfect for soaking it in while being in complete safety.

I'm really tempted to use it, but I decided not to use mods until they figure out a way for them not to break with each update.

Speaking of which, did anyone see the furore today when Notch revealed his plans for modding? Yikes.

Anyway, I've been working on this for the last few days:

[​IMG]

It's an interpretation of the Colossus of Rhodes over the canal that leads into Bartlet Cove. It has the same dimensions as a Minecraft man (except the jaggedness) and I would have done it in the same colour as the default skin were it not for the fact that I would have had to generate new land and go out mining for lapis lazuli. Here he is in eihort (which doesn't display the fire on the torch).

[​IMG]

11. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thats cool Ben!

Found this interesting vid for fireproofing wooden structures using half blocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fj1O75Y9bI

Oh and YAAAY! I spent ten minutes running around in a THUNDERSTORM on Roberts server this morning! A real pisser too! :D
    Damn near killed myself scrambling down off a dirtblock pillar I was standing on when it hit.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  12. Canadave

Looks like the next update will contain in-game maps. Image from Notch's Twitter feed.

13. Robert Maxwell

Hah, I like the execution there, fits very well with the visual aesthetic of the game, especially the border dithering. :p

But where's the damn mod API?!

14. Canadave

^ It actually reminds me a lot of the maps from the first couple of Settlers games, if anyone remembers those. That actually fits quite well, considering how much painstaking resource gathering was involved in those games. :D

15. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

well made a nice little house stocked it with goodies and even found a lava lake and made some obsidian? anyway got me a couple of diamond picks and went for a walk. now i cant find my way back home:(

16. Robert Maxwell

It's kind of cheating, but press F3 and you will see your X, Y, Z coordinates. Y is your height, whereas X and Z being 0 and 0 is more or less your spawn point (or very close to it.) So, navigate back toward X and Z being 0 and you're on your way home. :)

17. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's not going to be a modding API, Notch said that he wouldn't be able to make one comprehensive enough to work with all mods as well as not breaking with each update. Instead, he plans to create some sort of official modding partnership thing that will give modders complete access to the source code and comments, as well access to code for upcoming updates. Some people tried to lynch him over it yesterday.

The map thing looks cool, but I feel that it kinda missed the boat a bit. There's so many mapping tools available now that there's no novelty to it. Not that I don't appreciate adding an official one into the game, that would have come in very handy during my first few weeks in the game. And I'm sure it will be useful whenever I head out exploring again.

18. Robert Maxwell

No modding API? Great. :lol: I like how his solution is basically what I and others have suggested in the past, though. How's that crow taste, Kimi3013? :p

19. Canadave

I agree to a point, but I think the fact that it's entirely in-game will make it useful in its own right, myself.

20. Owain Taggart

I like the idea of maps. That's awesome. Also, apparently you can share them and join them together with other maps to reveal more area. Though, I think what hurts it a bit is the fact that it's a low resolution map, making it hard to see any detail of where you actually are. Looks like something from an 8-bit game. When I pictured in-game maps, I thought they'd be more like overhead maps featuring elevation marks.