Valentine's Day: Yay or Nay, Hooray?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I checked through the first 4 pages of Misc just to make sure no one else has touched on this yet, if you have, sorry but here we go:

It's that time of year when you give sweet kisses and tokens of affection to your significant other.
    When you make them feel like they hung the moon, that you cherish them forever, all in one day.

Are you ready for it?
    I know I'm not.
    I'm not up for Valentine's Day this year. Usually I try to be as upbeat as possible,
    particularly on a day of expressed love, but I just don't have that spirit in me this year. This year
    has been particularly rough on me as relationships go, and I'm just so alone that I feel no need
    to celebrate. The only thing I will be doing on Feb. 14th is giving my dog her birthday present (she's 14 on Valentine's Day).

Other than that, this will be an irritating day from start to finish. I'm already growing sick and tired of the "give her diamonds."
    Or "show her that you love her by buying a bouquet of roses." I'm avoiding love songs, poems, sonnets, romantic overtures,
    and aisle 5b at Walmart.

So, are you ready?

J.

2. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Why save it for the one day? Why not celebrate all year round?

:bolian:

(Of course, it would help if I had someone to celebrate it with... :()

3. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As lonely and as depressed about love as I have been in my life before, I've never really looked down on Valentine's Day. I don't see it as an offense to my failure, and its commercialization is really no worse than any other major holiday. All the same, I don't think it's particularly wonderful either. I mean, I guess I can kind of get behind part of the sentiment, but I don't see why dedicating an entire day is necessary or even beneficial. I do like giving things and sharing things with people I care about, but Valentine's Day is really the least fun of all the occasions to do that for me. There's just something not quite right about having everything within eyesight be pink and heart-shaped.

So rather than a "yay" or "nay", it gets a "meh" from me, overall. Though I did buy one Valentine's Day card for a dollar, so maybe I can't get away with saying "meh" to Valentine's Day this year. Screw it, I'm saying it anyway.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Nay.

A more commercial holiday isn't possible. A holiday all bout giving (to women) dining (free if you're a woman) and helping flower and candy companies up the quarterly sales (as women love flowers and candy.)

Seriously. Where's the MAN'S equivalent of VD where HE gets showered with gifts. And don't give me any of this "I give my man stuff on VD every year," crap.

Every commercial on TV is geared toward buying things for women, the number of jewelry commercials (remember guys, it doesn't matter how romantic you are toward her she won't love you/accept until you show her that expensive tennis bracelet!)

This holiday is all commercial and consumerism. There's not a shred of anything "real" to it at all.

5. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Valentine's Day is for lovers only. Since I'm not in a relationship, it doesn't apply to me.

6. blablover5

blablover5 Admiral Admiral

Meh.

I used to hate it when I was younger, but now it just isn't worth the energy to care anymore.

We're not going to do anything special aside from avoid some of our more sit down restaurants we'd haunt on the weekend. But I don't actively go around trying to destroy everyone who does like it or spend the day in total black.

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

While it's not an essential time by any stretch, it's still a definite "Yay".

The overt, gross commercialization has been so vivid that I just don't even notice it anymore. But... I'm not about to let it spoil a nice occasion for Mrs. 'Roon and myself. Money's tight as usual, so we just have to get creative on how the funds we DO have are spent. This year, there's a special exhibit of Egyptian artifacts at the local museum. Since she's long been a fan of Egyptology and the archaeologists involved, we'll spend the afternoon there courtesy of some discounted tickets. Dinner afterwards ..... good question. But it hardly matters. No place that requires a reservation (they're all booked,I'm sure), but a decent enough sit-down casual place will fit the bill.

This is what it's like after 23+ years, and I'd be hard-pressed to have it any other way. :adore:

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not even convinced it's for lovers.

Valentine's Day is a farce. A fake. It's an entirely manufactured, prepackaged, corporate excuse. It's a fiction designed to get people to buy cards, flowers, candy, etc. It's not celebrating anything. There is no objective reason for it. If you're in a relationship, you should show your love 24/7.

9. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Who says we don't? It's a mistake to presume that just because some folks do enjoy and celebrate the day, that it's the ONLY time that they do. ;)

10. Ashu

Ashu Vice Admiral Admiral

Nyay.

Im impartial.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, but if that's the case, then what makes V-Day any *more* special than the rest?

Even for couples who show their affection year-round, the mere fact that they do anything special on 2/14 just shows that they bought into the hype - they fell for the scheme. It's the same reason why anybody ever buys diamonds. The diamond industry is, IMHO, an even bigger sham than 2/14. :p (Hint: Diamonds are not rare. )

And trust me, it takes A LOT to get me to believe any of this "everything's a corporate conspiracy" crap. :lol:

12. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

To quote Lisa Simpson:
    So nay for me.

13. Ashu

Ashu Vice Admiral Admiral

You;'re just jealous that I have a boy and you don't :p

14. ShamelessMcBundy

No, i'm actually very happy for you.

15. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

;)yes for people in love it a great day.plus you get to see women wear red dres who can be aguest that lol and i am a swm lol

16. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Just to clarify, I'm happy for everyone who is in love and is with someone today, it's just that for myself, being so "incredibly vast tundra, middle of the desert with nothing in sight for miles but sand" lonely, just really dampens my spirit.

J.

17. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

I'm just like you, except I haven't got any pets.

18. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I have a card for you, it says "I Choo-choo-choose you" and there's a picture of a train on it.

As for me, this is the first year in a while that I'm single. So it sucks to be me.

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. Roses February 15th cost a buck a piece, on February 13th they will cost $50!

A friend on mine bought be some chocolate last month because we are great friends. I buy him little things for him, just enjoy life as much as possible.

20. ShamelessMcBundy

Can't it be a picture of a bee on it that says Let's Bee Friends?