STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

If it does, say, $400 million worldwide that would be a bit soft for a $180-190 million budget. They would likely reduce the budget back to around $150 million. To get another sequel at this budget level it probably needs to do in the high 400s or over 500 worldwide.

2. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I have to admit that I'm still surprised by today's box office realities. It wasn't too long ago that a $300m box office total was considered great. Now every big film has a huge budget and Avatar and the Avengers have shifted the paradigm and studios are only satisfied with CRAZY money.

By the way, thanks for your avatar. It's been awhile since I've seen Season 1 Sarah. Good memories. :techman:

3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

250-300 DOM and hopefully 200+ OS. 500m total finish looks realistic?

I don't think Paramount will wait four years for the next one though, I think that's something which has affected it.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

With a $25-27 million Friday - taking into account the weekend multipliers past May sequels have had after Thursday openings - $85 million for the 4-day weekend is now probably the worst case scenario and $100 million for the 4-day weekend the best case scenario.

Ah, Sarah... :adore:

5. Phily B

Well for what its worth, GI Joe 1 still got a sequel and a higher budget for some reason, even if it didn't do well domestically or in the foreign BO.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If there is a sequel it'll be out in 3 years time, 3.5 tops. After all 2016 is the 50th Anniversary year.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

G.I. Joe 2 had a reduced production budget. The first one had a $175 million budget, while the second one had a $130 million budget - they got a cheaper director and did some cast reengineering, too.

8. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Her maths arent right. (Nikki at deadline.com)

The Boxoffice followers on hsx & boxoffice.com are saying that an 88m weekend from a 27m Friday is highly unlikely and also the fact she says 'almost double Thursday' yet says 25-27m when Thursday alone was only 10.5m, if its almost double 10.5m then thats perhaps 19-21m not 13.5x2 because that would include Wednesday.

Not holding my breath here. (But you all knew that anyway)

Just take these figures with a pinch of salt for now imo.

9. Phily B

Hmm, you're right. I can't believe they gave GI Joe 1 a 175m budget :vulcan:

10. Phily B

I think the BTC numbers are going to turn out to be correct which isn't particularly an improvement on the last one.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

She probably meant double Thursday including the Wednesday night numbers. Those numbers are often considered part of the Thursday take. When a sequel releases some of the early demand by opening on a Thursday it can lead to a weekend multiplier of 2.9 to 3.3X the Friday take, so that's where she's getting the possiblity of an $88 million 3-day weekend from.

12. Flake

Trouble is she is well known for making mistakes like this. We dont know how she got her numbers. Perhaps it was some exec saying 'almost double Thursday' which taken literally means about 19m which is an awful number but she may have accidentally used the 13.5m to make her basic calculation. I have a bad feeling about all this.....

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You go right ahead...:lol:

14. Flake

Seriously I'm sorry for being the thread pessimist here, someone slip me a valium or even better some Khan blood! That stuff would rule.

15. Phily B

I too have a bad feeling and think it'll struggle to reach ST09s gross, but will beat it comfortably WW.

I do think it'll lead to Paramount looking at getting Trek into production far quicker this time.

16. Flake

I would like Brad Bird as well. Apparently he was first choice on Star Wars but he passed and now JJ is doing it. Bird is committed to directing a movie that is released in Summer 2015 so there would be no chance of doing Star Wars without dropping the movie he is doing and he didn't want to.

It would be nice for a director to come in and say he actually was/is a big Trek fan because he would have one up on JJ straight away. Can you imagine the internet meltdown if JJ said he didn't like Star Wars? :devil:

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Brad Bird directing a Trek movie would be great. Unfortunately I think J.J.'s replacement is more likely to be a step down.

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I nominate Michael Bay and Megan Fox as Number One.:p

19. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Bird is down to direct a film released in 2015, how does that make him any more possible than JJ? Star Wars is also out 2015.

20. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Matthew Vaughn would do a good job, I think. I quite liked X-Men First Class.