Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Mar 3, 2013.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

That doesn't happen in the movie, the only one who corrects him is Maria Pitillo's chaaracter in a bar.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But sometimes realism isn't the point of a particular art form, as with my Muppet and cartoon examples. Or as with traditional Japanese theater, which often uses puppets that are clearly puppets, operated by visible black-clad stagehands that the audience is trained by theatrical convention to ignore. I tend to see the creatures in tokusatsu films as an extension of that theatrical tradition. They're meant to be stylized and symbolic rather than photorealistic. Some art forms require the audience to engage their own imaginations to enable them to accept what they see as real for the purposes of the narrative.

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I do hope we get a Godzilla design that looks life-like and photo-realistic. I do not think the term realism is the right term to use for these movies. As a fan I want the movies to be believable or plausible.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'm assuming this is Godzilla through the years?

[​IMG]

(I'm probably not as up as other fans here: DAM was first Godzilla film saw, and probably seen about a dozen or so, mostly 60s/70s ones and couple of later movies. But I really hope they keep the essence of that face, the eyes especially).

ETA: Just discovered there was a Godzilla/Marvel (SHIELD) crossover. Ah, the internet.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  5. Gojira

^Yes, those are pictures of Godzilla through the years. Many complained that Godzilla from the Heisei Series (84-95) looked too feline, while the face on the last Godzilla from 2004 (Final Wars) looked too rat like and was dubed Ratzilla.

6. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Actually, the Marvel "Godzilla" comic series used SHIELD throughout its entire 24-issue run. 'Dum Dum' Dugan has the mission to follow and fight Godzilla. Later issues also had such guest stars as The Champions, Devil Dinosaur, the Fantastic Four and the Avengers. The series is collected in its entirety (though in b/w) in Marvel's "Essential Godzilla". I'd recommend it only for hardcore fans and nostalgics, though. Also, Marvel's Godzilla has a closer physical resemblance to the Hanna/Barbera cartoon version than to the Japanese original.

7. Christopher

^I think I recall Godzilla showing up in an X-Men issue set in Japan. He fought Lockheed, IIRC. I thought at the time it was just a pop-culture joke, but I guess it must've been a crossover with Marvel's Godzilla comic.

It's interesting how Marvel treated most of its licensed tie-in properties as part of the overall Marvel Universe rather than separate realities. They folded in ROM, Micronauts, GI Joe, Transformers, Godzilla, even Jack Kirby's take on 2001. There was even a Marvel Star Trek comic in 1980 where a simulation of Marvel's Dracula appeared and Spock referenced characters from that comic as real historical figures.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another good example of this would be Henson's live show, Stuffed and Unstrung. During it, the puppet performers are just out on an open stage operating the puppets.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUXs4fm7P1k[/yt]

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that was actually Lockheed's female companion from the Beyonder's Battleworld. When the X-Men returned to Earth following the original Secret Wars they materialized in Japan. Lockheed's companion grew to enormous size in Earth's environment. If I remember right, at one point a couple of Japanese school children reference their "monster guide" to identify the creature and briefly consider it night be Godzilla beofre dismissing the thought.

10. Christopher

^That must be what I was thinking of. Even if Godzilla didn't appear, the comic still treated Godzilla and other daikaiju as real-world entities in Marvel Universe Japan.

11. Mike Farley

Godzilla himself appeared in a couple of issues of Iron Man somewhere around that time. He was not called by name and mutated out of copyright appearance by Dr. Demonicus, but it was clearly implied that it was the Big G.

12. Christopher

I'm sorry, but that syntax is unclear. Do you mean that someone named Dr. Demonicus mutated Godzilla into an appearance different from his normal, copyrighted one?

13. Mike Farley

Yeah. That was a really bad sentence. Sorry.

14. Gojira

Here is a small write-up from someone that was an extra in the movie..

As some of you know, I am an extra in the new Godzilla movie. Now, im going to tell you the awesome expierence i had, filming with amazing actors and with the big G himself.

First off, I need to say this. I WAS IN A FRIEKEN GODZILLA MOVIE!!!!!
    Okay thats that. My role as an extra in this film was to be a kid getting pulled out of the rubble of a crushed village. It was pretty spectacular. Im not the focus of the scene, im just in the back. It was also very serious. They put make up on me to make me look like I was litterly crushed by a house. And there was the acting part. I had to make a VERY scared looking face. I think i did pretty well because no one yelled at me lol.

Also during the scene, I was in the presence of Brian Cranston. What a guy. I had like a 2 minute convo with him after my scene. He is SO cool. (for those of you who dont know, he has the leading roal of Breaking bad.)

The location was right in my mothers back yard. on Vancouver island. It was pretty nasty outside, so it was a pretty good day to film this scene. It was very cloudy and it looked like it was going to rain. The affects were cool to. There were some fires here and there. and the village looked great. The military vehicles were amazing to. They all looked very real. (assuming they are fake but i could be wrong)

Well, that was my expirence. and i need to say this one more time,
    I WAS IN A GODZILLA MOVIE!!!

http://kaijucombat.com/community/index.php?threads/so-i-was-in-a-godzilla-movie.4291/

15. Christopher

That does reflect what I've heard about this movie trying to capture the spirit of the original. Most Godzilla and daikaiju films since the original have glossed over the human cost of kaiju rampages, mostly just showing people fleeing populated areas while supposedly empty buildings are destroyed -- or if they aren't empty, we usually don't see the casualties, at least not until the films made in the 2000s. But the original film was much darker. During Godzilla's rampage, the emphasis was on the terrified victims, with indelible moments like the weeping mother cradling her child, knowing that they were about to be crushed. And afterward, there was a lot of attention paid to the human aftermath, the suffering of the human survivors, the hundreds of wounded and dying cluttering hospital corridors. You could really feel that this was a film made by people who still remembered the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki nine years before, who knew the cost of that kind of devastation in real life. And that makes it all the more wrenching.

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

LUCKY BASTARD! :scream:

But seriously congrads.

17. Gojira

I just want to be clear, it wasn't me who was an extra in the film...I wish I was...I was just reporting what someone else had written.

Sorry for the confusion.

18. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably too late now, but if you can still edit that post, you can group that block of text as a "quote" so that it appears within a lined border.

Sincerely,

Bill

19. Christopher

^I think the first line of Gojira's post makes it sufficiently clear that he's quoting someone else.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd want to be one of those extras who points up in the sky at Godzilla.