Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Firstly. I rather liked the art.

I was meaning to get the e-copy of this and the a hard copy when it was completed, but my brother put aside a copy in the local comic shop. Anyway, I thought it was fun, a good teaser/introduction to the series and it didn't leave me disappointed, it actually felt like I was reading an adaptation of an episode with the dialog between The Doctor and the Ponds.

The next issue with The Doctor and the Ponds interacting with the Enterprise crew should be interesting and I for one, can't wait.

Here's what the best Sci Fi magazine in the World, SFX have to say on the matter in their review.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

After a shipping mishap and a week of hellish deadlines, I finally read the first issue.

I liked it well enough. But it's also a comic that's easy to feel ambivalent about. What it does, it does decently well. The painted artwork, though very nice, took some adjustment to accept, and the dialogue rang true to me. The opening prologue has potential, and then we're into the ancient Egypt interlude which is easy to dismiss as a pointless runaround designed solely to introduce Star Trek audiences to the Doctor Who cast, though I suspect the green thing will turn out to be Chekhov's gun in the third act. That's the problem, though I know this is the first issue of an eight-part series, on its own this issue feels very insubstantial. It doesn't deliver on the promise of its covers.

Though I understand dramatically why the last page reveal happens (it's the same reason the first issue of Avengers Vs. X-Men] runs in place until you reach the final pages and Cyclops goes off the deep end -- the story's setting you up for an artificial dramatic moment), I would have liked to see something different that brought the Doctor and his companions into contact with the Enterprise crew earlier. Maybe the Doctor materializes the TARDIS in the Enterprise's dolphin tanks, causing all sorts of mayhem. Or something maybe screwball, like "Partners in Crime," where the Doctor and the Enterprise crew are working on the same thing in parallel until, finally, they bump into one another. As it is, the story starts out with a certain languorousness that doesn't put its best foot forward. This doesn't feel like the start of an event, this feels like the next issue in IDW's ongoing Who series.

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Whats the deal with this release schedule? I went into my comic shop expecting to pick up issue 2, only to find out it won't be in for another two weeks?

I now see how the trade coming out in October will only contain the first six issues.

4. Allyn Gibson

The first issue only came out two weeks ago (May 31st). It's on a monthly schedule. :)

First four issues. It's due out a week before issue #5 in mid-September.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

D'oh! I even asked earlier in the thread if this was on a monthly schedule. I suppose I'm getting spoiled by the weekly release of "Before Watchmen" and the bi-Monthly release of Avengers vs. X-Men.

6. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I just saw that story. I wonder what the "special anniversary book" is going to turn out to be.

8. Allyn Gibson

There are times Rich Johnston does valuable work, and there are times the man's a total shitstirrer.

This is a case of the latter.

Tony Lee himself said in response to Rich's article:

9. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Indeed. Several posts later, Scott Tipton dropped in to say:

Seriously, Johnson doesn't have enough muckraking to do with the Big Two?

10. Admiral_Young

This kind of behavior and conduct on Rich's part combined with the attitude is what constantly amazes me about him. He really doesn't care except to get the scoop or story out.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Prior to his BleedingCool website, when he used to have a weekly Lying In the Gutters column at comicbookresources.com, Johnson used to have a little disclaimer that his articles could contain facts, uncomfirmed stuff that could be either right on the money or way off the mark, and just stuff he makes up.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, there really is no such thing as bad attention. It seems as if this Johnson just wants attention, and this is how he's getting it.

13. Admiral_Young

I had no idea that Rich used to be at CBR. I started following Bleeding Cool after he broke the news regarding the New 52...two weeks before DC planned, I thought that was a dick move then and still do...but since then he's been right about 90 percent of the time that I've been following since I keep using him as a resource.

14. C.E. Evans

Oh yeah, he was at CBR for many years, that's where I first started to follow him. Used to give warnings about the validity of the stuff he was reporting through traffic lights:
    Green meant it was true and could be confirmed.
    Yellow meant it was possible, but couldn't be confirmed.
    Red meant it was basically bogus.

His original Lying In The Gutters still there to some extent at BleedingCool, but it's more of a weekly recap kind of thing now.
    Yeah, I do think Johnson tends to be more right than wrong, but when he is wrong, there can be zero grain of truth to it sometimes.

15. Admiral_Young

16. C.E. Evans

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of painted comic book art myself, although there are a few artists who use that style that I do like.

17. Admiral_Young

I'm a fan of painted comic book art...just not the kind that we've seen in issue one.

18. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the only painted art i've ever liked was Alex Ross' on Kingdom Come and Marvels...

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess this one is going to be more of a Trek related issue with the Doctor, Amy and Rory playing miniman role? Kind of the reverse of issue 1?