Bones - "The Pain in the Heart" Holy Hell Spoilers!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by bigdaddy, May 20, 2008.

?

Grade the Episode...

Poll closed Feb 1, 2011.
  1. A

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. B

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. What the fuck?! Zack?!?!

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

IT'S FUCKING ZACK?!?! THE CREATORS RUSHED THIS STORYLINE AND IT'S HUGE!! STUPID WRITERS!!!

2. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Great episode. But NO, there has to be something more to it. It just can't end this way. It can't.

3. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Seriously, Zach? WTF?

BTW, was tonight Sweets' first time in the intro? Cause I never noticed him in there before. I figured that was the giveaway that it was going to be him, by sticking him in the opening credits for his final episode or something.

4. Vanyel

No Sweets has been in the opening credits for a a few episodes now. I think at least the last 3 or 4.

I'm still pissed.

However, Eric seems to know a lot about season 4 of Bones, so maybe it was a ruse.

5. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked the way it was written, making Hodgens and Sweets both look guilty. Honestly Zach was the logical choice, but I hoped they didn't go down that road. Still, if he was the explosion, then how did he get the skeleton out?

6. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

I assume the nobody master came in and got it.

7. Vanyel

That's the big unanswered question. The video logs could have been checked to see if The Killer was in the building when the explosion happened. If he wasn't that's their out. Zach couldn't have been the apprentice in that case.

But then again doing another bait and switch (I am using the phrase correctly, correct?) like with Booth wouldn't be a good thing either.

8. bigdaddy

Yes the master came in the back door and stole it. They explained that.

9. ancientone51

ancientone51 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, totally did NOT see that coming!

Nor did I like it.

After discussions last week, figured we'd nailed it with Sweets; they totally played us with that bit too.

Two ways to get past Zach, but they did one with Daddy and one with Boothe already.
    But to keep Zach around I might go along with a redo of either.

Makes e even madder that the daughter pegged it when i told her about one of them being involved. She knew who, even had a bit of an explaination for it (He came back different) but she was none too happy about it either.

10. Vanyel

Neither did I.

I would too. However the Daddy thing would only get Zach acquitted, but not back on the team. Only using him as bait to pull the real apprentice out of hiding would work to get him cleared and to back on the team.

I thought it would be Zach. I didn't want it to be, but figured it had to be him. My reasoning was a bit different.

Remember when they were all getting a background check by that one agent from DHS? She put it to Zach that if someone gave him a good sound logical reason for betraying the US Government would he do it? I don't think he ever answered the question.

Also last week he again showed that he was an outcast as a child. His talents as a singer and his intellect separated him and made him a loner. He also talked about his workouts and that he was deceptively strong. That is contrary to the Zach that couldn't stab a dummy in one early second season episode.

Still, I don't like the idea of Gorgomon being Zach. I really, really hope it's some kind of ruse. The show wouldn't be the same without him.

11. bigdaddy

12. Starseeker

Starseeker Captain Captain

Frankly, Zach was my reason for watching the show. He was the best part. He was Niles to Bones' Frasier. Unless there's redemption coming for him, I'm done with the show.

13. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Strange. I've always viewed Zack as utterly replaceable. He's always been the same bland guy contributing nothing to the show. Oh well, guess not everybody agrees on that point.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The only way I can see whole ZACK thing was that the actor told the writers he wants out after season 3. Also while the whole strong character can overpower a weak one does hold some weight...Zack is incapable of murder in my view, his illiegence should provide him with logic to say No.

The show has "JUMPED THE SHARK" but I don't see it happening again though this could hit the show hard in season 4 ratings.

The writers strike rushed the storyline and we got to see the Master for a few seconds and then dead which is a huge waste of time though overall the episode gets a B.

However KUDOS to the writers for a shock twist and I have to admit that logic dictates that anyone can be a killer so in the end nice one to the writers for giving us a original shock that could not be seen a mile away.

However I do fear a possible fan backlash in season 4.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  15. Vanyel

I think there will be a big backlash. I was looking at Eric Millegan's website and the site Television Without Pity (Link that I hope will get you to the right page in the thread) and the Bones forum reaction to this episode is almost completely negative. Zack was my favorite character (I guess you can tell by the number of times I've posted in this thread).

According to his web site's newsletter he knew his characters fate as of 2 months ago. His leaving wasn't his choice.

He does hold out hope that since Zack is still alive in a psychiatric hospital that he could still guest star on occasion. Season 4 will be very different without him and I hope that there is someway that he can be brought back without using the whole Dallas it was all a dream that so far is all the rage at TWoP.

I'm going to miss you Eric.

Oh yeah, I really hope that Eric being gay had nothing to do with him being chosen as Gorgomon's apprentice. I don't think it is since the producers knew since day one about his homosexuality. But if it is, there will be hell to pay.

I really don't know if I can watch season 4 now. MAYBE by the start of the new season I'll have calmed down and learned to live with it, but that is a big maybe.

For now I'll have to be content with my DVD's of season 1 & 2 to remember the Zack that should not have been changed.

16. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

No doubt about it. They tried to get rid of the character twice before ... Once, when they blew up the building he was in, second when they sent him to Iraq ... Now this.

It is the very definition of "character assassination" ... and after this, I have lost all respect for the creative team behind the show. I won't be tuning in to Bones, and I will not be buying dvds of the series. In effect, the show left me.

Hell, I can almost understand what those Enterprise fans thought with the Trip incident at the end there. mmm.... Almost.

17. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

^The "Trip thing" was worse :lol:

But still...wow! I was a little shocked...I don't watch this show as regular as others, but still :eek:

18. kitkat

kitkat Admiral Admiral

OK, this is probably a stupid and annoying question but what did it mean when Hodgins said something about a cat? I recognized it, meaning I've heard the term before, but I don't remember what it means. Schroedinger's (sp?) cat or something along those lines.

As far as the episode goes, awesome. I just hate that we aren't gonna see Zack anymore. I like him. I like his totally literal way of taking things, kind of how Bones is.

19. Vanyel

Schrödinger's Cat

20. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

That had to be one of the biggest surprises I've ever gotten watching TV. I was CONVINCED it was Hodgins, especially after he triggered the morphine drip.