Reused names

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by LoneDragon, Mar 24, 2013.

1. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Anyone notice Voyager character's names have been used in Trek before?
    Counselor Troi once mentioned having an appointment with an Ensign Janeway...
    Theres an Admiral Chakotay in an episode of DS9....

2. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Uhhhh... Chakotay was definitely never an admiral. Not even in the novels lol.

Mistake maybe? :confused:

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That would be Admiral Chekote.

Of course other Trek's have used names more than once:

There is a Dax in STXI

A Scott in TNG

Hanson/sen has been used on TOS, TNG and VOY.

4. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Cutting it a little close there with the name, but good to know.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

No! How could there be more than one of those?

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

V'Ger.

The USS Hitler would have been less cutting considering the death toll that probe struck on Earth barely a century earlier.

Actually?

If hundreds, or thousands of people died? Exactly why did Kirk let V'Gey wander off? Surely at the first sign of weakness it is his duty as a human being to stab this son of a bitch in the back

What death toll?

It's weapons didn't fire.

V'Ger turned off the power.

Every one in mid transport. Dead.

Everyone in a an aircraft. Dead.

Everyone in surgery or on life support. Dead.

Anyone relying on a forcefield to stay alive. Dead.

Anyone driving a car... 15 to 60 percent dead.

7. Nerys Myk

They might have made it up for the show. ;)

8. Nerys Myk

Are you confusing V'Ger with the Whale Probe? Did V'Ger ever get close enough to Earth to cause any sort of damage?

9. Guy Gardener

Watching the end of the movie now.

You're right, all V'Ger did was turn off the Planetary defences, everything else was still turned on because Starfleet was still able to calculate and observe what was happening as the V'Ger's weapons were being positioned in orbit for a culling. I was reading a novel recently, about how massively terrified some admiral was, which in his mind justified him into doing awful things in the name of planetary security after V'Ger walkd through their firewalls like they were made of tissue.

Stupid Star Trek 4.

If they hadn't disabled that comet gun from Terra Prime afer it proved to be such a tactical liability, because only an idiot wouldn't have demolished it the following day, I wonder how it would have fared against V'Ger?

(The alternative to demolishing the comet gun was to build 40 more so that, taking over less than half during any future coup d'etat would be a losing hand tactically.)

However, V'Ger did destroy a Starbase in the beginning of the flick. That's gotta be a couple thousand for a body count in the least? not the millions I was hoping for, but still nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  10. Nerys Myk

Epsilon IX was just a communications array. Its crew might be limited to the handful of people we saw.

11. Guy Gardener

Curses!

Foiled again.

12. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In 2370, USS Voyager encountered a cosmic space wedgie in the Badlands, where upon it vanished without trace.

75 years later, it returns to Earth having lost its entire crew, gained sentience, calling itself "V'Ger" and searching for its creator(s).

How much cooler would that have been as a series finale than "Old Janeway from the future comes back in time because she misses getting hugs from 7 of 9"?

13. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's my theory about Ensign Janeway:

Ensign Lucy Janeway is actually Our Captain's cousin. Her father is the brother of Kathryn's father.

From an early age, Lucy Janeway's parents always told her stories about how remarcable cousin Kathryn was. Such as: "Kathryn is doing so well in school, Kathryn won the tennis tournament, Kathryn has been accepted at the Academy", all those stories told with a hidden sentence of "Why can't you be as good, clever and smart as Kathryn?"

So poor Lucy struggled with her duties, eventually ending up at the Academy herself, only to be told that "Kathryn is an Engineer at the starship Icarus, Kathryn has become First Officer now and finally, when Lucy got a posting at the Enterprise, something she thought would really please their parents, she was told that "Kathryn is the Captain of a ship now".

Lucy continued to struggle with her career on the Enterprise but then came her problems with Lieutenant Pinder and her bad luck when she brought up the subject to Counselor Troi, not knowing that Troi was under Ves Alkar's influence and because of that behaved rude and arrogant to poor Lucy.

The argument with Troi made Lucy Janeway ask for a new posting so she was transferred to USS Excelsior. Of course, her parents saw that as a setback in her career. "If Kathryn had had a posting on the Enterprise, she wouldn't have been transferred....."

The final straw came when Voyager disappeared in the Badlands. From that moment on, Lucy Janeway had to stand a constant complaining about "poor Kathryn and her lost ship" and she realized that whatever she might achieve in her career, she would never come up with something that spectacular.

So she finally flipped, told her parents what she had wanted to say a long time, quit Starfleet and joined the Maquis instead. After some time with the Maquis, she went to Angel One in order to avoid being captured by the Federation or the Cardassians. When the wars were over and she was paroled together with most of the Maquis, she settled on Cestus II where she works with gardening.

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

And there was a Crewmember Dax in The Undiscovered Country.

Which character was named Dax in ST: Eleven?

[​IMG]

:)

15. Nerys Myk

Typo.

16. teacake

I read that whole thing expecting the climax to be her rather dramatic death.

"If my cousin Kathy can get lost in the badlands I'm going there too in my little shuttle so there!!"

17. Guy Gardener

Worf was lost in the bad lands.

Ezri turned off her engine and trusted the eddies and currents to flow the same it had a week ago.

Not a bright spark at all inside that tiny perfect little body.

Mark, a much wiser soul just got remarried and forgot about Kathy.

Worf must be better in the sack that Kathryn Janeway.

18. teacake

He couldn't ever fully forget about her because he had her dog, looking at him with soulful eyes asking where her beloved was.

As to Worf.. so deeply uncomfortable with himself. Not good.

19. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I din't want to take it that far, I thought that Cestus III was remote enough.

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The world has many Scotts.

I saw a fun fan theory once that Captain Tryla Scott was supposed to be a descendant of Scotty and Uhura after their flirtation in ST V.