Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

They'll most certainly do the most famous and "common" ships in the early run of the subscription. We'll likely get into the less-explored ships in the later issues. I, too, am looking forward to an Akira. And a Centaur for that matter... :)

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^That's not great business sense, you sprinkle the main ones through the run. Forcing people to get them all.

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I hope stores carry them

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

As I said earlier, becareful with buying from stores. I work in retail and after Issue 6 or so we stop getting in partworks, as they go from sale or return to firm sale only. Now different retailers might operate a different policy, and the US retailers might be different from UK retailers. But I would recommend you either subscribe or speak to your local retailer when the first issue comes out and ask them if they will continue to get it in.

Bear in mind retailers only have limited space and plenty of partworks come out, they can't possible keep getting in copies of them all in.

5. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unfortunately, I didn't see the Centaur on the list at Memory Alpha. I suppose it's possible that more might be released, if demand is great, but considering there's already seventy listed ships, plus a handful of bonus ones, that'd have to be some pretty big demand.

Agreed. I assume the list at MA was the tentative release order.

6. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, now that you mention it. I think it is blue. Take another look at it. I think the camera flash has washed out some of the blue on certain parts. The blue is a real light eggshell blue similar to what the studio model of the ENT-D was.

The official website makes mention that because lighting of each ship varied from shot to shot that the colors would change, so they consulted with CBS Studios to get the correct color.

7. t_smitts

Now that I look at it again, I see what you mean.

Now that I think about it, I'm curious what they did in the case of the handful of ships for which a CG version was never rendered: Constellation class, Ambassador class, Oberth class, Enterprise-B type, the Vulcan shuttle from TMP. I don't believe the refit Constitution was ever created in CG either.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Didn't they use a CGI refit Enterprise for the DE of ST:TMP?

9. 137th Gebirg

I believe so.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

They did, and it still exists, but only ever rendered to SD, so it's nowhere near detailed enough for any further work.

11. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd assume that there are enough physical models out there and so many reference pictures available that the proper paint apps and details can be found with a couple phone calls.
    It's not too hard to go and look at the actual physical model as long as it still exists somewhere.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The refit was done for special TMP DVDs

13. 137th Gebirg

Well, that's a bummer! :( Oh, well...like you said, maybe they'll do an extension to the series if it's popular enough. With 70 issues, they will certainly have enough time to ascertain if it's worth the time and money to do it. I just hope they don't do some of the other DS9 kitbashes over the Centaur.

After having looked at the Memory Alpha list of ships, most of them make sense, although I would have favored something else than the Enterprise NCC-1701-A (issue 63), particularly since we're already getting the refit in issue 2. Probably nothing more than a simple repaint.

And the Enterprise-J in issue 38 REALLY intrigues me, particularly since it has largely been a lesser-explored vessel with unknown detail, and there has never been (to my knowledge) a complete set of orthos publicly made since its creation.

It looks like some really cool stuff is being planned for this series. I really hope it does well.

14. t_smitts

I actually don't have a problem with repaints, if it's actually a different ship and not just a variation of the same ship.

For example, I liked that Johnny Lightning made a Yamato (though I would've preferred the Odyssey), a Constitution class Excalibur and Defiant, and the ISS Enterprise NX-01.

I didn't care for those "battle-damaged" or "cloaked" versions of existing ships, however. Those are just so much suckage.

And you gotta have all the Enterprises.

I have no desire to see any of the kitbashes from DS9 besides the Centaur. Most of them are hideous.

As I've said, the Merchantman is seriously overdue. (I don't think anyone's made a miniature of that one). I'd really like an Andorian ship and the D'Kyr type Vulcan ship too.

15. 137th Gebirg

^^^ The only folks I've ever seen do a Merchantman was FASA for the ST:TSFS Starship Combat Simulator expansion module. It was around 1.5 inches in length. Quite detailed and accurate IIRC, but super small and kind of hard to find, as most everyone were only interested in the larger capital ships.

16. t_smitts

Technically, it was a company called Citadel that made them.

From Memory Alpha:

"Citadel released for the UK market starship miniatures, that were based upon the gaming materials originating from the FASA gaming miniatures, as indicated on the packaging."

Actually, looking at the list, I would've liked to have seen the Groumall and the Jenolen too.

17. 137th Gebirg

Ah, yes. Citadel. Forgot about them, so many years ago.

Shit, I'm old. :(

18. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got the pilot run of these last May/June. Good models, interesting enough magazine. Will probably get some more.

Rest assured on Eaglemoss - check out their Marvel Figurine Collection which ran from 2005-2012 (actually, maybe a bit into this year as well). Amazing models, and a real commitment to complete what they set out to do (that was so popular it kept getting extended).

The reports that they needed a new factory to handle production are true.

The reports that they underestimated initial demand was also true.

They released their little test run (like they usually do with the partworks) and somehow forgot to remember that, in these internet times, everybody (nationally and internationally!) can learn about the new series within minutes! Suddenly, it wasn't just a few folk in the SW of England that were interested...

19. 137th Gebirg

I'm pretty confident that they'll deliver a quality product. I've seen what they've done in the past and have been quite impressed. As others have mentioned here, however, I just wish they would have sent a simple confirmation email that my pre-order has been recorded and processed. It's a small thing technically but, from a greater perception POV, it's a significant matter of common internet commerce etiquette that seems to have been bypassed in this instance. All that aside, yes, I'm sure everything will work out based on their otherwise excellent reputation.

20. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral