DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cain as a Talon would certainly be more interesting than what has been going on in Batgirl for the last several issues.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Her fans liked what she did in Batgirl.

Turning Cassandra Cain into a Talon would set them off. She is one of that fandom's sacred cows.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

New 52 The Edge and The Dark Panel news:
    Frankenstein will join JLD in a few months. "Lemire said writing dialouge between him and Constantine was fun".

Deathstroke 0 will go back to what drives Wilson. Deathstroke will tie into Team 7.

Jonah Hex 0 will go back to his origin. In #13 the circus come to town, with some crazy clowns.

Sword of Sorcery will also feature a Beowulf backup.

Suicide Squad is leading up to the team meeting a "mysterious orginization" and the confrontation will get "pretty messy".

I, Vampire 0 will tell Andrew's origins in 1951.

Amethesyt will join JLD for a while, but it might not go so well.
    Complete live blog from the panel.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

When the phrase "Books of Magic" showed up in JLD, I certainly thought of Tim Hunter ... be great if these projects happened!

On Cain/Black Bat: I'm not sure I agree with a blanket statement about Gail Simone fans. I'm a Gail Simone fan, and I came up with the idea of Talon/Cain,* so ... But I agree that Black Bat is a fandom shibboleth, just like Steph Brown.

* Not alone or anything, as others seem to have had the same thought.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Batman: Beyond the Night of Owls panel:
    Calvin Rose's story will show a lot of background and history of the Court of Owls.
    Snyder says Batman #0 will show a very different Bruce Wayne and will show Gotham in a new light.
    Snyder has been working on his Joker story for a year and he's excited about getting to explore what makes him dangerous.
    "Joker has been sitting back for a year and watching everyone, planning for the moment of his return to make sure Batman remembers who he is."
    Batgirl #0 will show Gail Simone’s take on Barbara’s motivations for becoming Batgirl.
    Simone is excited to tell a story featuring Catwoman in Batgirl Annual #1.
    Simone says Batgirl #13 will be amazing. She is going to start to tell the Knightfall story and feature more sides of Gotham’s upper class.
    Batman TDK #0 will “dig into the guts” of Scarecrow and why Batman is obsessed with fear. It will show what influences Bruce and focus on Joe Chill.
    Batwomn #0 will “show a deeper side of her views and her father’s past.” It falls in the middle of an arc, so it will be interesting to see how it fits in, “with some interesting twists”.
    Lobdell says Jason’s origin in RH&TO will be sad. Lobdell is excited to bring Blackfire into the New52.
    Batman Incorporated #0 is about the origin of the team.
    Detective Comics #0 explores why Bruce is the way he is and how he approaches intimacy. It’ll be “fast paced, with a taste for adventure”.
    Catwoman #0 will “bring together the bits and pieces of her past, and is Nicocenti’s first issue”.
    They will be collecting the digital comics, Legends of the Dark Knight, Arkham Unhinged, and Batman Beyond Unlimited, in print.
    Following a fan question, Gail Simone says there will be “a big difference between Batgirl and Batwoman in future stories”.
    There is some Riddler stuff coming up.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

GAH! Double Hard Returns! Double Hard Returns!!!!

Batman was great, as always, this is by far the best of the Bat-Books.

Batgirl continues to be enjoyable and fun.

And I read through all of the World's Finest books and really enjoy that series of books too.

8. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Worlds' Finest is a gem so far. But I'd say that about anything with Perez and Maguire.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

New Panel: DC Entertainment: DC NOW!
    Geoff Johns says Batman: Earth One gave him an opportunity to tell a story about a very different Batman.
    In Justice League #12 Aquaman will call out the rest of the team about what they're supposed to be doing.
    Shazam will make his first real appearance in JL#0 and will join the team later.
    "We'll see what the Third Army is and what the ramifications of the guardians decision to route out fee will is and how characters fight against that".
    Aquaman #0 will be about how Arthur first discovered Atlantis.
    Aquaman #13 will conclude The Others story.
    Before Watchmen: Silk Specter #4 will take place in 1964 and follow her as she learns things that teenagers discovered in that time.
    Swamp Thing #0 will show how Alec became Swamp thing through Alec Arcane's eyes. There will be lots of twisted stuff in the book as it moves toward Rotworld.
    The Blacklist is what American Vampire has been moving to. It will follow Peal and Skinner as they hunt vampires in 1950s Hollywood, and things will go badly.
    Lord of Nightmares will introduce Dracula, and show the rise of vampires and how one species became dominant.
    Some stuff about Hawkman and Grifter.
    Superman #13 will feature a more emotionally grounded Superman, and will explore him being the most powerful person on the planet who is hiding out and pretending to be ordinary.
    Flash #0 will explore his origin and include some stuff that shows us a new side of Barry.
    The Flash #13 cover may or may not contain spoilers.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

:wtf:

Ok... are they like padding in these panels or something?

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Batman #11 was great, what a visually amazing battle. A really great run.

I have a new desktop image now, the shot of Batman and Robin standing in the foreground while bat-shaped explosions blossom across the city skyline :D

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, "Batman" has been a fantastic title overall. This last issue was just awesome.

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

That was one big fuzzy cat. :eek:

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I had a touch of food poisoning last night and when i wasn't close with the porcelain I forced myself to read Resurrection Man #11. So I went to bed rather early but enjoyed this issue of Mitch trying to get to roots of the who, what, when, where and why of the events, places and person/people that may be responsible for his "resurrection" ability. Sucks the series is cancelled. Is issue #12 the last or is it getting a #0 issue to end things out on?

I should probably call out sick today--and just read.

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you guys want me to keep doing the live announcements from the panels?

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Go for it. I believe the Scott Snyder panel/presentation thing is this afternoon. Along with the Superman panel.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool. I've got some other stuff I want to do, so I might go back over some of them later after they end. I can't find a DC schedule anywhere.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The SDCC scheduling page has the full schedule for the entire weekend. I keep going back to it to recall when what is going on lol.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They finished the Concept to Page panel, which featured Buccellatto, Manipul, and their editors discussing the Flash, at 11:00, but it didn't really seem to have any big news. It still seemed interesting though, with lots of insight how they go about writting any issue, with the main focus seeming to be on #12. They showed off some script pages, and sketches.
    EDIT: Ooops, turns out I missed the Superman Panel
    *Superman:Earth One Vol 2. will start with a very proud Clark and introduce Parasite.
    *Superman will voice important issues in #13.
    *Superboy #0 will deal with the history of Krypton.
    *Superboy #13 will test his limits, and he might not come out on top in all of his fight.
    *"Action Comics #13 will see some familiar villains that have been connected from the beginning."
    *Supergirl #0 will deal with her relationship with her parents. #13 will show her looking back on Krypton, and will introduce a villain with mental and physical powers.
    EDIT 2: Justice League and Green Lantern.
    *Geoff Johns, Jim Lee, James Robinson, Nicola Scott, Tony Bedard, Francis Manapul, and Brian Buccellato are all there.
    *In Justice League #12 there will be changes, including some members quitting.
    * In JL #0 Billy Batson will meet the wizard, but won't believe him when he tells him about magic.
    *#13 will introduce The Cheetah, and will lay the seeds for The Trinity War and other changes.
    *Green Lantern #0 will introduce the new character, and deal with The Guardians and the Third Army.
    *Green Lantern Corps #0 will focus on Guy, and set up future stories.
    *New Guardians #0 will see Kyle trying to master the whole emotional spectrum. He may play a big part in the Third Army story.
    *Bedard compares it to a movie with a hero learning different fighting styles.
    *The Flash #0 will explore Barry's journey to who his is now.
    *There will be lots of Gorillas in #13.
    *Earth 2 #0 will be an adventure of The Trinity.
    *We will see characters react in different ways.
    *Justice League Dark #0 will see a young John Constantine fall in love with Zatanna and deal with other issues while in America for the first time.
    *There's more of a mystical sense to Earth 2. The next arc will see the heroes go up against the government.
    *There are a lot of stories to be told about Kyle's past before he became a GL.
    * It was important to explore who Billy is before he became Shazam. Once he joins the Justice League we'll see just how different he is from the rest of the team.
    EDIT:
    The New 52 panel.
    *To many panel members to list them all.
    *The story of Batgirl #0 is a transformation story about Babara becoming Batgirl, and it will surprise people.
    *Batman #0 will show Gotham in a "completely different way", as we see how Bruce set up shop. It will present a new perspective on the mythology.
    *Talon #0 was conceived by James Tynion IV and will "tell a story across the DC Universe.
    *Swamp Thing #0 will be "nightmarish and gross", and will show how died and came back as Swamp Thing. The story will payoff in Rotworld.
    * Some stuff about Hawkman, Deathstroke, and Grifter. Is anyone here reading those?
    *Firestorm stuff. Anyone reading that?
    *Superboy #0 will deal with the cloning process that created him, and why Supergirl reacted to him the way she did.
    OOPS, not done yet.
    *Lobdell says Superman #0 is the story of a Superman's parents facing the end of the world.
    *Teen Titans stuff. Does anyone care?
    *All Star Western #0 will be Jonah's origin, and include story element beginnings and endings.
    *Suicide Squad. Any interest?
    *Year one of Justice League was about who the team is, Year two will be about who they should be. Members will leave, and new people will join. #12 will end one and start the other.
    *Aquaman #0 will show him being exposed as the man from Atlantis, and then searching for his Atlantis and his mother over the course of a year.
    *Beginning in January Justice League will deal with Martian Manhunter's time on the team and how it went bad.
    *"Cyborg and Shazam will be "buddies" when he joins the team, acting a little irresponsibly being the two youngest members of the team. It's also interesting also since it's a pairing of magic and technology."
    *There will be more returning characters joining The 52.
    *Batgirl #13 will feature a story about Batgirl and Oracle. Simone is really excited about her part of Death of the Family, which shows what Joker has planned for her.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012