Request: TOS Planets

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Albertese, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Hey guys,

I have a project in mind but part of my initial research is about the planets used in the original production of Star Trek back in the 60's. I understand there were a couple different models used photographed under different lighting gels to change their color.

I seem to recall an article I read someplace that catalogued the models and maybe had some productions stills of them on the photography stand. Am I imagining this or does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

If anyone could link me to some pic or articles like I describe, I'd love it. But if I just imagined it all, oh well. Thanks anyhow.

--Alex

2. Albertese

Seriously? No one has any idea? Shaw? CRA? Anyone?

Even some screen grabs would be helpful. I searched on line but it seems everyone has updated with TOSr images. And my computer is ill-equipped for screen grabs of my own. Any help would be appreciated....

--Alex

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Albertese

Actually no. The article I was referring to had nothing to do with TOSr, and had some stills of at least one of the models on a shooting stand.

Oh well, the article you linked to actually has all the info I really needed. Thanks a lot! This will really come in handy.

--Alex

5. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

startrekhistory.com has a lovely pic of one of the planet models, but you can't save the pic via the ol' right-click-"Save Image As" rountine.

6. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Talos 4 was actually Earth's moon, colorized.

7. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

There are some planet shots on the old StarTrekHistory.com site here and here... along with Talos IV here. On the new site they are here and here as well.

Yes, there was an article showing shots of the planets being filmed... no, I don't recall where it was and didn't save a link to it. I didn't even save any images that I can find off hand either. :(

8. Albertese

Hey, I found a way around that. At least on my computer. I'm running a mac with OS X (10.4.11 to be precise). I dunno enough about computers to know if this will work for you.

Right-click, Click Print and then instead of printing on paper, print to .pdf. It then saves as a PDF on my desktop. Pretty slick.

Thanks for the links Shaw. That's great stuff. Sucks that no one saved anything about that article we both seem to recall. I knew I wasn't just hallucinating!

Anyhow, thanks for coming through, guys.

--Alex

P.S. Yeah, when I first found out that Talos IV was just the moon with some nifty new colors, I was dumbstruck. Pretty neat idea. I always thought that was one of the best planets on the show!

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Alt-Printscreen to get an image into your clipboard on a PC

Command/Shift 4 to set a crosshair to grab part of the screen on a Mac. Saves to your Desktop.

10. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another option is to save the entire web page, then pick out the image files you need. However, a lot of those pictures are actually *.SWF files, so you'd still have to process them afterwards anyway!