Was Troi a bunny boiler?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by john titor, Jun 23, 2010.

1. john titor

john titor Captain

Before I begin I'd like to say that I think that this a reasonable topic of concern for a TNG thread, I would like an indepth discussion philosophical discussion about Trois escapades.

Basically she goes out with Riker, but then doesn't but then does, the on off confusing aspect to the relationship is baffling. Then in second chances she (a) is totally cold to old Rikers impassioned words and (b) gets it on with old Riker in front of new Riker. In addition she gets it on with Worf towards the end of the show. When Worf asks do you think Riker will mind she basicalyl says who cares.

To make things more plain and simple to the layman she is the cheerleader who goes from the smart jock (Riker) to the dumb jock (Worf) then back to the smart jock in the films (Riker) while going out with the smart jocks brother (Riker 2) while rejecting the nerd (Barclay) whom she sees as her gay friend. The episode where she got the aging disease really brought out these tendencies.

2. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope, she wasnt.
    I think she was a smart, independent and beautiful woman:bolian:
    Plus, Troi was not dating Riker during TNG(tv-show)
    They had close relationship true, but that was IMHO because they used to date, and after that they remained good friends:)
    And Barclay was a patient of hers, so dating/sleeping with him would have been bit wrong.

And honestly your comments smell bit of sexism to me:shifty:
    Im sure that in the 24th century women are as free to choose of who they date, and have sex with, as they are today:)..

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

A bunny boiler, as I understand it, is a female psycho stalker. It was made pretty clear in the episode Second Chances that it was purely Riker's decision to end the Riker/Troi love affair. Regardless of how understanding Troi was, she had no input upon the decision. There's no evadence that Troi sought to retaliate against Riker by harming him, his friends or by playing with his mind. That said, between the time of the separation and their meeting on the Enterprise's bridge during Encounter at Farpoint, I would say they no interactions at all, I think they did not remained "good friends." During the the first couple of seasons of TNG they were basically just work place acquaintances. The friendship, certainly the close friendship, didn't come until much later.

4. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Hmm, To be quite honest, I think the "Bunny Boiler" statement is 100% flawed, its like this

*Riker and Troi had a relationship several years before they served on the Enterprise, when they ended up having to work together they put their "history" aside

*As coworkers though they still maintained the closeness of their romantic relationship, however this time it became an extremely close friendship

*Throughout TNG, It looked as if Riker and Troi were giving their relationship another try, however it just wasn't the right time or circumstances for it, thus they decided to date other people

*Riker had many escapades

*Troi dated a couple of people and then Worf (with whom things eventually did not work out)

*Riker and Troi found the right time and circumstances to give their relationship another try and eventually they got married

No indication of any Bunny Boiling going on with Troi i'm afraid...

5. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. In The Host, for instance, it was Troi who encouraged Bev to persue her relationship with Odan in Riker's body. In The Outcast when Riker was about to take up with Soren he came to Troi and she encouraged him in the new relationship.

6. john titor

john titor Captain

I was criticizing her behaviour not her gender. Thats equivalent to saying that criticizing another culture is racist.

7. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

But you are criticising behaviour that doesn't exist and some of you're argument could be interpretated as being mildly "sexist", for instance suggesting that Troi is dependant on Riker, because as a woman she lacks independence when theres no man in sight, sorry man but thats just how its sounding

Even today we've actually broken down the misconception that women should marry and be housewives as early as possible since they will have no opportunities if not, so think about what it will be like in the 24th century?

8. john titor

john titor Captain

you cant claim opinion as fact, Fact.

9. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its hard to say what she was. Because she was so badly written and inconsistent from week to the next.

But there's no evidence of a bunny boiler apart from when she was in Man of the people and a receptacle for negative emotions. And in the eye of the beholder where she relived someone else's memories.

In fact she was too well balance for a jilted lover. She must have psycho analyzed herself to death to cope with serving with an ex who dumped her for a ship.