Errand of Vengeance / Fury series

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by RonG, May 28, 2012.

1. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Having just finished the last (sixth) book in this 2-trilogy series, I wanted to write down my thoughts on it while it's all fresh.

To start, this is some of the best TOS era series I've come across, providing a darker look at TOS. In my thread about what to read after Vanguard (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=172324), I mentioned this series, and after having read it I can easily say that this is IMO a "proto-Vanguard".

The thematic connections with Vanguard are apparent – from looking at the TOS timeframe through other characters (though naturally EoV/EoF feature the Enterprise crew prominently), to looking at the UFP / Klingon relations (and with the Gorkon connection – though this is what probably prevents this series to be IN continuity with VAN).

The first trilogy, Errand of Vengeance, is easily the better of the two IMO, with its original premise, captivating characters and surprisingly gripping (at least to me) plotlines. Though it suffers from editorial mistakes (much like the Janus Gate trilogy, its predecessor in the short-lived ST:TOS "imprint"), and these were jarring in several places, the trilogy still managed to be a top notch TOS offering, at least to Trek readers looking for the military / political side of things.

The second trilogy, Errand of Fury, while not quite up to the standards set by the previous one, was still a great read – it seamlessly connected the aftermath of EoV to the TOS episode Errand of Mercy, which naturally was the culmination of the UFP / Klingon "arc". I had read about the criticism surrounding the final volume, due to half of it being devoted to the episode novelization, but I think it worked pretty much like intended, and provided the closure needed for the various plotlines.

All in all, a solid 8.5/10 – Highly Recommended!

2. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^Sounds like I may enjoy this series, Ron. I think I'll read a few more reviews and download Book #1 to my kindle this morning. Thanks for the recommendation:bolian:

3. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

4. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

I completely agree, but one of the highlights of (both) series is IMO the original characters, which I've found very engaging and three-dimensional.

5. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Oh, absolutely! I found myself hoping that they'd live whenever they go into a tight spot, which is pretty much diametrically opposite to how I feel about the original characters whenever I read an ent-e novel.

I think the West story thread really helped sell the scale of everthing, as well as the consequences if the ent missions failed.

6. KQuita

KQuita Lieutenant Red Shirt

This series definitely belongs in anyone's Trek library, especially any one that has an interest in Klingon Lit.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm starting to think I might have to move these books up in my reading plan. I didn't realize people had enjoyed these that much.

8. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

I bought the first book years ago, and only read it a couple of months ago. It left such an impression, coupled with wanting more "mature" TOS in the wake of the already-classic Vanguard, that I had to find the rest.

I read all remaining five books in the span of about a week...:cool:

9. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have both trilogies on my nook reading pile.

10. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Heh.

I read them as they came out - I think the time from the first book to the last one was almost seven years.

Had to keep rereading them to remember the finer details!

11. chris_masters5

chris_masters5 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

After reading Vanguard - really peaked my interest in TOS - just added these 6 books to my wish list upon your recommendation RonG.

I've always been interested in the overarching themes in TNG & DS9 (wasn't that interested in the standalones) - never really thought there was anything like that in TOS before I read Vanguard. I've also read the two entries about Klingons and Romulans in Seven Deadly Sins and am currently reading Section 31: Cloak. Are there any other books you think would add to the overarching themes in TOS that don't majorally conflict with eachother?

12. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Cloak is a definite :bolian: IMO! and it does fit in as far as mood / darkness go with both Vanguard and the Errand trilogies.

While not TOS per se, I'd also recommend Dayton Ward's In the Name of Honor, and Dave Stern's Children of Kings.

13. chris_masters5

Just read up about these books on Memory-Beta and the reviews on Amazon:

In the Name of Honour looks like it should be interesting in establishing things for TUC and also referencing the smooth/ridged klingons without contradicting ENT.

Not too sure about Children of Kings though - The premise about the station being attacked, Klingons developing a cloaking device and Orions being involved seems intriguing but being set in neither TOS or Abrams' continuity but a mixture might be a bit confusing - some of the reviews aren't that good either - is this one of those books you'll either really like or really hate?

14. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

I have some of the books in these series. I'm glad to hear they are well liked. I will have to get around to reading them soon.

15. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Well, the first time I read it, it didn't seem that good to me, and the fact that it's not really in either continuity (Prime or Trek09 universe) bothered me a bit.

The second time I read it, it felt like a more complex Trek tale than before and I was able to enjoy it much more.
    Opinions on it varied of course - you should be able to track down the TrekBBS thread quite easily and see if you'd be interested in reading it.

16. chris_masters5

Found a couple of threads about it - they've convinced me to give it ago.

17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Curious... Why wouldn't The Children of Kings fit fully in the "regular" continuity?

I mean, there may be promotional reasons for claiming it's a half-breed or mixed bag or whatever. But there doesn't appear to be any inherent reason for this in the story.

Timo Saloniemi

18. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, there was a reference to Number One consulting the records of the Ferengi Commerce Authority. Among other things, if I remember correctly. Here's my review of it, but be warned that I wasn't impressed. It might be nice to revisit it someday, though.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read it yet, but I think I remember people bringing up some of the stuff with the Klingon cloaking device not lining up with the Prime Universe history.

20. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Glad to be of service :)

As for the continuity, IIRC there are a couple of in-story (minor) continuity gaffes with the Prime Universe, so I've always looked at it as a "true" standalone.