(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has Davros started talking about himself in the third person yet? That's always a sure-fire sign that it's all going pear-shaped.

Seems that this is Billy's last chance at Forest. From what I've heard, should they not go up this season then Doughty's going to be cutting his losses and slashing costs next season.

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

^ For 'should', read 'when', surely.

3. Angel4576

I don't want to jinx our collective good fortune...... :techman:

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

2-0 Win for Forest (1 point from playoff). Because of fixtures of people playing each other, the local news said we needed to win 4 of our last 6 games to get a top 6 finish (3 of the last 5 now). Not sure how right they were but its going to be an interested end to the season no doubt and oh cheers Derby :p.

Reading that Man Utd have bid for De Gea and I ask WHY :rolleyes:. Seriously he's not going to come cheap and with limited funds compared to Chelsea & Man City why not buy a very good but cheaper option like Jussi Jaaskelainen from Bolton...

He's been one of the most consistant keepers over the last 5, 6 years in the PL and is an excellent shot stopper. Also at the age of 35 he is very experienced, cheap and means that Lindegaard can take his time to adapt to Utd and replace him in the future (2/3 years)

Use your money on something you actually need like a winger or attacking central midfield.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

You're welcome! Wish I'd gone last night!!

I think a lot of clubs will potentially be trimming their spend next season if they don't go up this year, and maybe even if they do, it'd be ironic if a team, by virtue of their success, overpent and ended up on the wrong side of the new FIFA regs...

6. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

United will give Spurs Rio Ferdinand + £15 mil for Gareth Bale in the Summer. I'm calling it now.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Spurs won't sell Bale yet though if they fail to make the CL for 2 seasons in a row then Bale might get itchy feet for a move to a European elite club - Form withstanding. I doubt Fergie will tweak with his centre backs in the summer though you would think after 2012 and his 10th year "Rio" might be axed. I hope the long term future see's Smalling and Phil Jones at Utd because I see them as the future England paring...

So similar to a Terry/Rio partnership.

8. Servo

Rio is becoming an injury liability, and Smalling is fast becoming one of our best defenders. Redknapp confirmed he tried to sign Rio last summer, but couldn't agree on a price with United. We want Bale, they want Ferdinand.
    Bale won't go to Europe, he'll want to stay in the PL. I can guarantee that with Spurs pretty much out of the CL tonight, and with us looking good to get to the final (not to mention a possible treble), the prospect of putting on a United shirt next season will be very tempting for Bale.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

But the deal is not a good one for Spurs, why give up Bale for Rio who has 12-24 months ish left in him probably. I don't think Bale will become frustrated at Spurs until Redknapp leaves most likely next summer for the ENG job.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

(HT) Spurs 0-0 Real Madrid

Spurs are really up for it, pity the ref doesn't feel the same way because Modric and Pav were denied two penalty kicks. Big games ruined by refs - just another day in football.

11. Servo

Of course it's a good deal if we make it a player + cash offer. They'd get a massively experienced defender who can marshall their defense and give them more strength at the back, and something in the region of £15m on top of that.

Plus, I reckon Bale would want to come here so he can play in the same squad as Giggs before he retires. :techman:

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think that values Bale too cheaply, yeah Rio's good, but he's old and increasingly injury prone. I think utd would have to sweeten the deal better than Rio plus just £15 million.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Forest lead 1-0 within 3 minutes at Norwich...Now lets see how we can let slip this game on tv like the rest :p

14. Angel4576

Prophetic words, but you do it so well.......! :lol:

Trying to decide who I want to get that final playoff spot is tricky - Forest, Leeds, Millwall? Thank God Hull are in with a shout!

15. HappyDayRiot

That was one hell of a freakish fluke goal though!

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

So it's a Man city Stoke final. On the down side I don't really like either of them, but on the plus side at least one of the usual suspects isn't gonna win the cup (ok City will probably soon be one of the usual suspects, but at the moment they still haven't won the cup in 30odd years!)

I think Stoke could turn them over however...

17. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Arsenal vs Liverpool yesterday seems to have been fun (although Wenger won't have enjoyed it much), I don't think I've ever seen a game with 12 minutes injury time. :lol:

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Wenger needs to stop acting like a baby at times, he seem to refuse to shake Kenny's hand. The injury time was right because of the horrific Carragher incident and then the other 4 minutes were mainly there because the most of that was taken up by Arsenal goal celebrations, Arsenal players pissing around in the wall for the free kick and the same for the penatly kick.

Wenger needs to concentrate on his players not kicking other players in their 18 yard box when there running away from goal :rolleyes:

19. HappyDayRiot

That Arsenal-Liverpool game was the funniest thing I've seen in football for a while. Wenger has only his own players to blame for the time rolling over so much - why did they take so long to set up the wall against Suarez, or set the ball for the penalty? What on earth was Eboue thinking!? Comedy gold though, when Dalglish told Wenger to piss off - it's about time someone did.

I'm backing Stoke for the Cup. I hate Man City and hope they win nothing. Also, Stoke knocked Cardiff out and I have a grudging respect for whichever team does that, so wish them well. Also, Stoke are not the wretched anti-football side the media try to perpetuate the stereotype of. Yes, they can mix it and hoof it and rely on a long throw, but they play some tidy stuff against a lot of teams.

Also, Pulis is a Newport boy so I have something in common with him.

Cardiff City, meanwhile, continue to romp to promotion glory...

20. Angel4576

Only Arsenal could take the lead in the 98th minute and still not win......! :lol:

Congrats to Stoke. Hometown team, although I've never supported them. Bolton just didn't turn up yesterday, and Stoke were brilliantly clinical.