38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by ralph, Mar 7, 2013.

1. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

I was under the impression that their mission of neutralising (or whatever) the volcano was a success - that Spock had been successful in that and so they had already saved the natives, and that the only thing exposing the Enterprise to the natives helped to achieve was rescuing Spock. But I could be wrong - to be honest, I'm not sure exactly why I thought that.

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

None of you know how much you'd really be spoiled until you look. C'mon. Click. All the other kids are doing it. :devil:

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I clicked.

Can I have some more now ? Just a little to keep me going...

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've already clicked, curiosity almost always wins. :alienblush:
    I just don't want to dwell too much on it.

5. Franklin

Initiating cloak:
    As I read the translation, it appears they were only supposed to observe, not interfer in what was going on in any way. That's weird in and of itself. Stick around and watch the volcano destroy life on this planet? Why? To what end?

So, as I read it, even if everything went well and they got out unnoticed, Kirk violated the PD by simply by trying to stop the volcano. After all, if all had gone well and the volcano miraculously stopped, why couldn't the natives invent a god to explain what happened? So, it's still interfering in their death (can't really say development in this case).
    Choosing to rescue Spock by revealing the Enterprise only made it worse. Then again, I wonder what Kirk's log would've read if he hadn't chosen to save Spock, and how Starfleet would've reacted to that if they knew he could've saved him.

6. Grup

Grup Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Skimmed ever so briefly the spoilers. Trying to avoid too much info. But.... is it revealed if Harrison is 'Harrison' or some other character using a different name? I don't want to know who it is if it is an existing character though.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm not gonna be taken in by you Spoiler pushers. Coming into the Playground pushing your spoilers on naive children....:p

8. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the site said that 38 minutes don´t reveal anything about the identity of Harrison. I think this mystery will remain until the end of the story.

9. Franklin

Could be. In which case I hope Harrison survives and there's already a plan for how to take up the story in the next movie. If Harrison is "offed" at the end of the movie, then who would care about a big surprise at the end over who he really was the entire time?

Funny thing: how can they show 38 minutes of a 120 minute movie (almost a third of it) that reveals absolutely nothing of any real value about story? Hope that doesn't say anything about the movie.

Within Trek, I'm trying to think if almost 40 minutes of snips of any other movie could've been shown without any big reveals or total spoilage.

They've also apparently decided to start the movie with the volcano scene first, then go to the husband and wife visiting their daughter in the hospital where Clarke runs into Harrison. Too bad, in my opinion. The way it was, it introduced the first real questions in the story, got people thinking, then jumped to join our heroes "in progress" before they became part of the story. I liked how that felt.

10. Franklin

:lol: C'mon. The first look's free.

11. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Abrams likes to keep suspense till the end without losing focus of the story.

I think Harrison will not die or will leave a trail that can be alive or that an important character (like Averengers) will comes as cliffhanger, although they say sequels are stand-alone stories.

12. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

About time we got something of substance! Now some speculation. The first question is: why blow up a library? The answer: to destroy obscure historical evidence of something that didn't make it into the digital archive (an escaped sleeper ship, maybe...). Why assassinate fleet command? Because they have top secret knowledge about a facility housing obscure left-overs from history.

The good news: Harrison probably isn't Khan. The bad news: I think those who believe this is a set-up for a third movie *with* Khan might be on to something.

13. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Even better news: it may have nothing to do with Khan at all.

14. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Believe me: I hope so too.

15. KirkusOveractus

I'm still thinking that there is something to do with Robert April.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The Google translation came across a bit like Uhura trying to convince the Klingon outpost to let the Enterprise head toward Rura Penthe in STVI, but from what I gleaned from it (and assuming the author's impressions of the first 38 minutes are accurate - which they seem to be given what we already know) I can't say I'm too enthused about them basically rehashing a lot of the plot of the first movie, especially where it comes to Kirk's "hero's journey."

Kirk is involved in a major ethics/rules violation also involving Spock that threatens his career in Starfleet until Pike (who earlier gave him a pep talk about duty and responsibility) gives him another chance by making him the First Officer on the Enterprise where he redeems himself after a bunch of Starfleet personnel are killed and he gains command of the ship. This all happens after Kirk has a keen insight at the last moment before an impending attack that no one else in Starfleet considered. People still question his lack of experience but then give him command again despite those misgivings.

None of that is a dealbreaker for me by any means, and I'm still greatly looking forward to seeing the movie, it's just that I would have preferred to see Kirk
    settling into the role of captain throughout the film rather than having to go through another series of events that lead him to the role he was born to serve (and had already secured by the end of the last film).

It just seems like taking a step backwards to me before returning to the status quo again.

17. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Pretty clear now that they don't find out who Harrison is until the end of the movie, which for the first time, actually explains all the secrecy.

We're not supposed to know until the Enterprise crew knows.

18. Franklin

Sounds like it to me, too. Further,
    the way he becomes Pike's first officer then gets back into the captain's chair (if it's because of Pike's death) sounds totally contrived. No one else can replace Pike? Kirk's prior sin doesn't matter any more? All is forgotten that quickly? Then why such harsh punishment at first -- loss of command -- other than to show the soft spot Pike has for him and to have Kirk experience one more harsh setback on the road to maturity with the loss of his mentor?

I guess in context or execution, it could all be done convincingly. Plus, maybe key points or subtleties were lost in the reporting or translation.

19. KirkusOveractus

But what you also have to take into account is

Kirk's age. He will be about 26 years old at the time this movie takes place, as opposed to the 34 year old Kirk we knew at the start of TOS. He didn't get to have his rise through the ranks like was described here and there in the series. That experience wasn't had in this universe, so he's going to make mistakes as Captain and will have to be knocked down a peg or two.

Pike could be doing this as he feels responsibility for Kirk becoming Captain so quickly, and assumes command of Enterprise with Kirk as First Officer to get him back on track.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, without spoilers, did the article say if the preview was any good? Or is it just a dry beat-by-beat?