Dragon Age 2, coming next year

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by clint g, Mar 12, 2010.

1. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

http://gdc.gamespot.com/story/6253427/dragon-age-2-coming-feb-1-2011

Awesome! I can't wait to sink my teeth into the expansion pack

2. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jeez. I wonder if that means ME3 will come out in less than 18 months then.

Hrm - it might be another Xpack though.

3. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

I was under the impression ME3 was supposed to come out after a much shorter delay than the 2+ year gap between ME1 and ME2. I didn't expect to see Dragon Age II so soon though.

I won't complain as long as the games are good and don't feel rushed or half-assed to make a quick buck.

4. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Anything is possible, though a sequel doesn't seem unlikely. If they started work on it prior to the release of Dragon Age 1 (a pretty common practice it would seem) then 2011 seems like a pretty reasonable release year. I would assume that whatever it is they plan on releasing on February 1st is going to be delayed though, as is the norm with a big name game :lol:

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Awesome.

I'd rather have ME3, though.

6. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I find myself split on this, as I really really liked both games. I think I'll be fine with either one coming out first :)

7. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the gameplay/combat of ME2 more but the RPG elements (story/companions/choices) of Dragon Age a lot more.

I went into Dragon Age planning to play a selfish Mage through the game but found the narrative gave me the opportunity to go much deeper and tell a really cool redemption story. Very satisfying stuff. And I loved that I'd be presented with choices that weren't Good or Bad but more like I was deciding between the lesser of two evils.

Either way, Bioware has totally cemented themselves as a company whose games I'll just give a shot, no questions asked.

8. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Bioware is my favorite gaming company.

I need to pick up Dragon Age at some point.

9. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I adored Dragon Age, so yeah, put me down as interested. I wonder if my actions in the game will carry over or not into the sequel, and in what ways.

10. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope so.

I've got the add-on pack for the first one on pre-order, though it'll feel a little odd using one of my characters on either that or a sequel. I will be pre-ordering DA2 and as soon as ME3 comes up, that's going on the list too.

11. Skywalker

Yeah, true, DA easily beats out ME2 in both depth of story and character. What I'd like to see in ME3 is more of a blending between ME2's combat (though I really hate the ammo system and the nerfed biotics), DAO's character development (and interaction between party members!), and ME1's epic storyline.

12. firehawk12

13. firehawk12

Game Informer cover confirms that DA2 is coming next year.

That's a frighteningly short turn-around time and I'm surprised they didn't announce anything at E3 considering it's coming in March.

14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well.. assuming they'll use the same graphical engine the development time will be cut short immensely as you don't need to program it from scratch anymore.. just a few tweaks here and there (please update the blood splatter on the characters as it always looks like someone took a full paintbrush and just splattered red paint all over).

What remains is level design and story and that can be done within a year or two.

So.. immensely enjoyed DA1 and really looking forward to the 2nd.

After the story disappointment that was ME2 (ME1 rocked the story but ME2 was just too short because the main storyline was over in a few missions and was padded out by the search for a new team) i'm very much looking forward to DA2 and hoping they expand the scope and include other kindgoms like Orlais.

15. Skywalker

Huzzah!

Guess I'd better get started on buying that spiffy new PC I've been meaning to buy so I can play DA2 (and replay DAO) the way it's meant to be. :p

16. firehawk12

I still have faith in Gaider, even though I think BioWare has no idea how to handle interactive companions anymore. :lol:

It makes me wonder if DA2 was well into development long before DA1 was finished. I mean, at some point they had to start development of Awakenings as well so who knows.

Oh wow, I didn't know the character was named Hawke. Who will be the first person to name their character "Lady"? ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  17. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm not too concerned about the lack of character import. I never felt as attached to any of my Dragon Age characters as, say, my Shepards from Mass Effect. If they're working Hawke to be the new continuing protagonist in the same vein as Shepard, then I'm all for it. The loss of race choice is a little saddening, though.

18. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree on the loss of race thing. On the other hand, does this mean we're more likely to get a voice over for our character?

That's one thing that I didn't like about DAO as compared to ME.

19. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I can live with not importing the character from the first Dragon Age; I'm more leery at the idea that your character can only be human. I suppose that'll allow them to tailor the plot more specifically built around the character, but I liked the option to be a dwarf (and to a lesser extent an elf) in Dragon Age: Origins.... and heck, that's something of a step-down from the six distinct origin stories, isn't it?