The Saga Is Now Complete

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Man of Steel, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Destiny: Lost Souls is now out (or starting to appear depending on where you are).

I'm having my copy shipping to me internationally..

2. dave_R_treker

dave_R_treker Captain Captain

Still for preorder at Amazon. still says that the estimated shipping date is December 1. Thats still two and a half weeks away.

3. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

...which means the Borders near me will get it about two weeks after that... :brickwall:

4. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I ordered from Barnes and Noble and it's shipping the 14th of November which means I'll have it by Dec 1.

5. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well that's frustrating, aphrohead books on amazon uk market place has Lost Souls available already, but still no-one seems to have Mere Mortals yet!

6. TigerBait

TigerBait Captain Captain

Wait, so even though I preordered the book off Amazon, I still have to wait for another two weeks?? WTF, I gotta find out what happens for the fleet, for earth, for cardassia!!!

7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I have Mere Mortals on order from my local bookshop.

8. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm fed up of waiting for books for a month AFTER the Americans get it. What is the problem with Amazon coordinating so it is released at the same time?!?!?

9. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ The books are printed in and shipped from the US, so there's going to be a lag.

But you've had the latest Bond movie for a couple of weeks now, so it's a wash.

10. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pocket have a UK division, they could print some copies off, but that doesn't explain a month's delay. Two weeks I could accept, but a month is too long.

And I read far more books than I watch movies, 60-70 books a year compared to 10-20 movies. I'd rather spend the price of a movie ticket on a book or two.

11. Dayton Ward

I don't know the particulars, but I'm betting the books are shipped via...well...ship, as in "slow-ass freighter" because it's more cost effective. If that's the case, that would explain the month-long lag.

12. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I normally manage to get books very soon after they come out by buying from Amazon marketplace sellers. I had received and read Gods of Night before most of the US people here had been able to get a hold of it.

13. Dayton Ward

^ Well, now you're just making my head go all asplodey.

14. Brefugee

I also read Gods of Night a fair while ago, but I couldn't find Mere Mortals for a reasonable price anywhere!

And as for us having Quantum of Solace for two weeks, it makes a bloody change for a film being released in Europe before America and Bond is British, so it makes sense!

Oh, and while I'm here, I know someone (my exs dad) who went on a sailing ship across the Atlantic which took three weeks so I find it incredibly hard to believe a container ships takes longer to cross!

15. Dayton Ward

First, the Bond thing was a joke. Learn my posting style, newbies ;)

Second, it's not as though the books would be instantly transported from printing press to the hold of the ship, and then instantly transported from ship to bookstore upon arrival. There's time on either end of the trip to factor in. Not that hard to figure when you think about it, actually.

(Assuming I'm right about how the books get there, and they're not just being held up by some evil British warlord who hates Star Trek books.)

16. Brefugee

How ever the process is I'm assuming:

it's finished at the press > boxed up and put on lorries for distribution across North America and to the nearest docks to be sent across the seas! > sits in dock for a few days > leaves port and sales the high seas > arrives in foreign port > put on lorries again to another distribution centre > then finally arrives on shelves either to sit there forever or to be purchased and read.

Of course, I might be off base with my assumptions, but the above I would hazard a guess would take two maybe three weeks, and I know no one here has any say or power over distribution, but I read Gods of Night six weeks ago and it's still not on shelves anywhere I've seen, so does Pocket Books only have printing presses in the States or are there any internationally?

But in the grand scheme of things, as the Trek Novels are in pretty much the same language, at least we don't have to wait for translations.

Oh and yes, humour, that's what it was! Very funny Mr Ward :vulcan:

As for a Warlord, the last one we had I saw on tele on Sunday and she looked ready to kick the bucket which will bring a smile to my face.

17. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sir Buzz Killington, no doubt.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

18. Dayton Ward

Obviously it takes longer, or folks wouldn't be here complaining :D

So far as I know, the Trek books are largely printed in the States and shipped internationally. I know of at least one recent exception (the Ships of the Line art book), but I don't know how many others there are, or what the ratio -- if any -- of books printed within or outside the States.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Well, work it out. MMPBs are usually out in the US a few weeks before the advertised month of publication. That's to allow surface freight shipments to reach UK about six weeks later. And Australia another month after that. The international arms of Simon & Schuster are already looking after their local MMPBs, so new US arrivals go into the next month for promotion.

Find a UK comics supplier that will bring you in a single new Pocket ST novel - airfreighted - from the Diamond catalog - and you'll have it a few days after the US. Or... wait a month and pay a lower amount thanks to the S&S UK bulk order.

Here in Oz, Galaxy Bookshop imports a batch of new Pocket ST novels - airfreighted - from the Diamond catalog - and I have it a few days after the US. Or... I can choose to wait two months and pay a lower amount thanks to the S&S Aust. bulk order.

20. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

If people really want to know how container shipping works I recommend this link. I check it every day.

Linky