Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I should be getting my desktop up and running in the next couple of weeks. Any ideas what I should spend 8 months worth of the lifetime subscription stipend on in terms of fleet projects (especially KDF ones)?

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the Summer Event starts Thursday I was wondering if anyone remembered how many marks you could get for a full grown Tropical bird.

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

i don't, but I DO have a couple of almost grown ones to turn in once the vendor returns :)

4. Hartzilla2007

I still have 35 eggs from last year.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

oh, i've got a crapload of eggs, favors, and pearls. Just thought the vendor would be there after the event ended, or there would be a turn-in place like the winter event has had. So I started a couple of projects right at the end, and they weren't ready to turn in yet, so I've got some mid-level birds to start with...

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Different subject: Bought my Romulan a Scimitar the other day, and not quite happy with the loadout/spec yet. Anyone have ideas on optimal loadouts to get this thing really moving? Doesn't have to do eleventy-million DPS or anything, but would like to see more punch.

Ship loadout:
    [​IMG]

Skill Tree:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  7. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Birds are so last year.

This year is all about feathered monkeys!!! :lol:

8. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Well the first thing that comes to mind is that the Scimitar turns to slowly to use cannons. It should be easier to broadside using beam arrays. Also, fill out the two remaining tac consoles with vulnerability exploiters.

And if you want a further dps boost, you might want to consider switching from a defensive deflector/engine/shield set to a more offensive set like Romulan. Or pick the combo I've started equipping on my ships: Undine Deflector, Romulan Engines, Elite Fleet Shields

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Concur with beam arrays and more TAC consoles. Fleet Credits are my limiter on this toon at the moment. My main has tons, but can't use the Scimitar, but my Romulan can use it and can't afford the gear :)

That was the best set I had for eng/deflector/shield at the moment, but almost done with Adapted MACO set, was going to move to that soon. Trying to avoid moving to a set that forces Phaser/Plasma/Distruptor sets; want to stay with AP if possible.

I'm not quite endgame on my Rep systems yet. Finished Omega and Dyson, T4 Romulan, T3 Nukara, haven't started Undine on this toon yet (or maybe T1). My main toon is 85% done Undine rep, and then will sponsor the rest of them so they don't burn twice the resources for no reason.

Any other suggestions? Hesitant to pull the trigger on it, but internally I know that getting rid of torps is probably the next step in favor of more beams. Can then respec to redistribute those points.

10. Timelord Victorious

After being more or less finished with my sci/sci build and tac7cruiser build I am thinking about rolling a new engineer.

But I don't want a traditional build, since engineer/cruiser can be a bit boring I was thinking maybe try something I never did in all those years and make him a carrier captain.

Anyone got experience with that combo?

How good would that be at DPS. how flexible would it be to switch to a heal or tank role on a team?

not many carriers available, right?

The Kitty Carrier is the only one easily available on Fed side, Romulan doesn't have a true carrier, right?

I guess, if I run n Atrox I would make it a Caitian crew, which sounds fun :)

Since I can't make a Tholian crew the tholian carrier is out of the question.

But I could make a Jem'hadar themed ship? For how much do they go these days?

Any other good choices you would recommend?

11. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tried a carrier build on my KDF engineer with the Tholian carrier, and while I decided it wasn't for me, here are a few things I learned.

- Carriers don't stop on a dime, so there's a learning curve in getting them in and out of the fight.

- Your fighters are your main method of DPS. I had to think defensive about my carrier.

- A strong hull and strong shields were very important. Buffs to those were a must.

- The turn rate is terrible for them. You can either use consoles to increase the turn rate, or equip cannons / turrets and prepare to do a lot of broadside fighting with your ship.

- I tended to keep my carrier at maximum range in a fight and let the fighters do all the work.

- There is a lockbox trait called Wing Commander that you will want to use:

An affinity for coordinating attack patterns among small craft allows you to deploy your Hangar Craft with increased effectiveness.

+100% Rank Up XP for all Hangar Pets
    (This reduces the total time it takes to reach Rank 5 by half.)

- Also look into the Caitan Flight Deck Officer DOffs. One has the power to reduce the recharge time on hanger bays, so you can relaunch your ships faster. Others can increase carrier pet accuracy in the various modes.

12. intrinsical

I have the Atrox and I love that it gives a different type of gameplay, but you need to be aware there are many downsides.

The ship's turn rate and inertia makes movement clunky. It only has 6 weapon slots but is not considered a science vessel so it does not receive the Sensor Analysis although it does get Beam Target Subsystem abilities. So the Atrox depend heavily on fighters to contribute to its overall dps, otherwise they can be weaker than science vessels in terms of damage output. All this combined sometimes makes me just slot transphasic torpedos and turrets, autofire at 9-10km range and focus on sciencey stuff and healing teammates.

I have learn over time that I prefer durable fighters that can last for at least 30 seconds or longer in combat. Any fighter that gets destroyed in under half a minute quickly becomes a nuisance, forcing me to constantly launch new fighters and monitoring the hanger launch cooldown timer. So that rules out low-hull fighters like Delta Flyers, Peregrines, Tholian Widows, Obelisk Swarmers, Catian Stalkers and Romulan Scorpion Fighters. Repair Units only heal shields, and in my opinion they don't heal enough. Which means at least for myself, the only viable hanger is the Runabout and they don't do a lot of damage but they do well in slowing down opponent ships.

If you have the ec to spare and want a good carrier experience as a Fed, get either the Tholian Recluse or Jem'Hadar Dreadnaught. They are much, much better carriers than even the Fleet Atrox for the simple reason that they can launch durable and strong frigates.

13. Timelord Victorious

I have started a jem'hadar crew, so the goal is the Dreadnaught Carrier. :)

Attached Files:

14. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoa, you have a lot of senior staff.

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I'm a busy Fleet Admiral, I shouldn't have to handle the day to day operations of my ship :p

or, just been playing since launch. and am lifetime sub. so whatever the number of extra slots that gives you, pretty much every time there's been a reward that gives out a BOFF, etc. And the Romulans may get one or two special ones to start with, so it just piles up. And because of the number of sets they've given out over the years, and the way the STFs used to work, pretty much everyone has a special gear loadout to use (or store). Crappiest guy's probably still got MACO XI gear :lol:

16. intrinsical

In that case, I hope you have lots of ec :)

17. Hartzilla2007

And the Undine T5 rep fix goes live today Yay!

18. Timelord Victorious

Yeah, If I have a goal to work for I can get the EC in a reasonable time frame.
    Already have a seller who will sell for a fair price within the fleet. ;)
    So no escalating exchange price which could easily mean 50% more.:)

Tour the Galaxy, here I come! XD

19. intrinsical

Oh I don't mean the Jem'Hadar Dreadnought. That's the cheaper part of equipping a Jemmie Dread. The most expensive component is getting a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship to unlock them as a carrier fighter.

There's a revamped Borg featured episode that rewards a random purple personal kit. Each kit is worth at least a mil. That's what I would be farming for ec.

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

grinding the summe event and selling the favors usually nets good money as well, especially in the first week or so when people want the new toy immediately. I usually pocket 5-10 mil during an event if I'm around for it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.