New Frontier Novels on Horizon?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I've recently started reading the New Frontier series written by Peter David and have really enjoyed it. The public library near my house has a number of the novels, so it's been easy to find them. The most recent NF novel was written in 2011, but I've not read anything about plans for any new novels or material that ties in with some of other recent Trek novels. I was curious if anyone knows about any projects Peter has been working on.

I am aware that Peter has been dealing with significant life changes in the face of serious health problems (I don't want to give too much detail out of respect for his privacy) and recognize that any plans for future books may have been scrapped for the time being, but you never know. In any event, I wish Peter the best and hope he's doing well.

--Sran

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe his contract for NF ended with the last book, and the last thing I heard was that Pocket was not planning on renewing it. As far as I know he doesn't have any other Trek stuff coming out.
    Right now he is in the process of tying up his X-Men comic book series, X-Factor, which he has been writing since 2005. I believe he has more a new comic series coming up after it ends later this year, but I'm not sure. He's also written several original novels over the last few years. I haven't read any of his non-Trek stuff other than his first modern day King Arthur book, Knight Life, but I am hoping to check out the rest of that series, and X-Factor.

3. Captain Clark Terrell

^Thank you! That's too bad if there won't be anymore NF novels. It would be interesting to see the characters from that series involved with the Typhon Pact arc.

--Sran

4. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

There's some speculation that the end of X-Factor may not be the end of X-Factor per se. So we'll see. But unfortunately, there's nothing on the New Frontier.

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

can anyone else do anything with the NF Characters or is i strictly PD's Domain

6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As with all tie-ins the rights are with the licensor (CBS here).

7. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I imagine New Frontier is one of those "gentlemen's agreement" type deals. CBS/Pocket can do anything they want with it, but since it's been so firmly established to be PAD's it's best left where it is unless they really feel it something else could be marketable.

Though I imagine reference will eventually be made to the characters beyond the scope of the last NF book.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's pretty much been my interpretation as well. We did get the No Limits short story anthology, which had 20 stories and only one by PAD.

9. Captain Clark Terrell

And even then, Peter was the book's editor. I've seen Mackenzie Calhoun pop up in other novels, but his appearances have only been brief in those instances. His character appears via hologram during a meeting as part of the DS9 Relaunch series but doesn't have any lines.

--Sran

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

But the only reason he was there was because that was a crossover scene that appeared in each Gateways book.

11. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The series might benefit from a fresh take with a different author.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

This topic keeps cropping up, so I'll say the same as I usually do.

Sort out (retcon) the Nechayev situation (not hard) so that she can still be used, and fold the NF characters into the main novelverse. They can guest in other series or have an occasional lead story like the Aventine does. No problem...

13. Captain Clark Terrell

Thank you. I'd assumed as much but wasn't sure. The DS9 book is the only Gateway novel I've read to this point.

--Sran

14. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^This is basically what I've been hoping for for a while now.

But a fresh take couldn't hurt either, NF used to have a certain panache to it, but the later books kinda just stumbled along IMHO.

15. Captain Clark Terrell

Especially with the changes to the crews of Excalibur and Trident. Why not introduce new characters to give the series some new blood? And with the events of the Typhon Pact happening, it would seem the NF crew should have something to do. Even if the characters are asked to play roles different than what we've previously seen them doing, there's no harm in using them to generate some excitement.

--Sran

16. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think the No Limits anthology showed that other authors have a handle on the characters. Id like to see what KRAD or Mack could do with a NF novel.

17. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

This! Mack's Kebron story from No Limits was awesome, and KRAD would be great taking the NF folks on a new adventure. I'd be there for sure!

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

So it's settled then - give NF to KRAD.

And get him to do a follow up to Articles while he's on...

19. Captain Clark Terrell

Just finished reading Once Burned today. Great story! I'll admit that the part where Calhoun is blown into space by the photon torpedo while not wearing an environmental suit stretches belief, but the rest of the novel is superb. It's too bad what happened to Kenyon, but he's hardly the first captain consumed by grief and loss. I love Kat Mueller's character and wish she had a TV or movie role.

--Sran

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't worry, this isn't the last you'll see of Kat.