Buffy TVS to be (ugh) Rebooted

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Crazier than us you say? I find that hard to believe :) Then again I never frequented the Buffy boards during the show or currently. I'm enjoying the comic continuation of the show so it's alive and well where I'm concerned. I understand they're not for everyone out there either. Another thing is I just don't know if this project actually came to fruition what kind of a box office response there would be. The first one was a bomb IIRC and is considered something of a cult classic by Buffy fans...depending on the material of this particular project I'm not sure an audience would be there to be honest.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well the fandom I belong to is reading the comics and having all sorts of crazy speculations about the upcoming issues as soon as new solicitations or covers are released or someone from Dark Horse does an interview or Q&A. Sure it's just a fraction of the TV audience, but they're canon and the story is still going.

I'm not sure what the "larger world" is. It's not like there's any show or movie that's beloved by everyone in the world.

Never been to the Buffy Boards, but Buffyforums are pretty crazy, I'm also a member of Slayalive where all the Q&As take place, and there's also Whedonesque and the discussions on Livejournal.

3. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Wrong. Joss was the one who made it work. It was his vision that became popular, not that of the director that butchered his original script for the film.

Buffy was and is Joss' "baby". He knows how to make it work. Other so-called producers apparently don't.

Congratualtions, you're a "fandom bigot". As a Trek fan you should have more empathy for other fandoms than that.

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I am not keen on seeing a Buffy remake, but isnt that what happens with every single Superman property, be it a new comic, a movie or TV series, a new and slightly different take on the character and his world. Lets not pretend that Superman has not evolved over time. For example Kryptonite was introduced in a radio series 5 years after the first comic, and obviously is a very big part of Supermans history. Each retelling taking from the last, then adding something new.

The point is just because Joss created Buffy, does not mean, his take on the character is the only valid one.

I think the basic elements of the Buffyverse, are just fine for a similar rebooting, yeah ok I would stick to the vampire, slayer and watchers council element to the story, possibly even ditching Sunnydale completely.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really, no. Joss didn't just create a Buffy show; he is Buffy.

To use an example from your avatar, it'd be like if some shitty developer like Ubisoft decided to take Sonic away from Sega and create a cheap, crappy Sonic game on the Saturn because Sega never got around to it.

6. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm normally open minded about remakes. I will take to a remake, provided it is well done. I'm a fan of the original BSG, LOVED RDM's take, await Blood and Chrome, and also look forward to Singer's more "faithful" version.

Trek fan from WAY back, and LOVED JJ Abram's film.

My trouble with this (now thankfully dead) Buffy product is this. We know what on the cheap Buffy looks like. We have the first film. It was Joss' series and his wonderful toolbox of amazing supporting characters and layered storytelling that gave that franchise any real value.

Now...If I thought TPTB cared about the franchise and were going to do their best to give us a story worthy of the franchise and the fans, now and in the future, I'd excited. When I heard of the possible David Yates Doctor Who film, I was and am excited, despite the idea that it will be it's own continuity. It sounded like they still want to take what makes Who unique and craft a good story out of it, with people who care and know how to tell stories.

I got no such vibe from this "Buffy" project.

DOA, and deservedly so.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That's weird, in the movie and series I have on DVD 'she' is a petite blonde woman.

8. DevilEyes

What I don't is, why do they have to call it Buffy? It's very unlikely that the character would be like the Buffy we know, created by Joss, it would just be another girl who's a Slayer. Just keep the basic mythology and call it something like Mandy, the Vampire Slayer that makes it clear you aren't pretending that it's the same character, but is clear enough reference to BtVS, and people would be much more OK with it, I'm sure.

Well, appearances can be deceiving... ;)

http://pmnewton.blogspot.com/2010/08/joss-whedon-and-writing-from-dark-place.html

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well either way, we'll see when the movie comes out and any possible new show starts, sans Joss and his clique.

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Just to add, I'm not 100% against the idea of a remake/reboot, but I just think its too soon. I mean when was this first announced, 2009? It had only been off the air 6 years

RDM's reboot of BSG came out in 2003, and when was that last on, 1980 I guess with that awful Galactica 1980. So that's 23 years, fair enough.

You could say the same for JJ's Star Trek, sure ENT only ended in 2005, but it was basically a reboot of TOS the TV show, which ended in 1969. That's 40 years

But six years? That's why I thought it was dumb. Same reason I didn't get why rumours of Bryan Singer's BSG reboot started floating around again like a week after nuBSG ended

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Amen all round.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Ethros it is never too early for a reboot/remake in hollywood's eyes. Whatever they think can make them money they'll attempt. I mean look at Sony for example. They decided to reboot Spider-Man while they were still trying to develop and in the casting stage for "Spider-Man 4". So yeah film execs don't really care about "separation". They care if the franchise in question can make them any kind of money or not.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Especially one thats been dead for a decade and was no longer viable or welcome on the network that aired it, or any other Joss pitched it to for the next three years.

14. DevilEyes

So it was dead for 3 years while it still lasted? :shifty:

How was it "not viable or welcome on the network that aired it"? You've got some inside info from UPN 8 years ago? It sure was viable with 3.6 million viewers on average in its last season (not bad at all for a 7th season of a show whose highest average rating for a season was 5.3) and 4.9 for the finale, and I know of no reason why it wouldn't have been welcomed it if had continued. The show wasn't cancelled, it ended because SMG didn't want to go on playing Buffy and because they decided to end it. There was never any attempt to continue Buffy, on UPN or any other network. There was going to be a Faith spinoff that didn't happen because Eliza Dushku decided to be in Tru Calling.

15. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Don't be deliberately dense.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's kind of his thing.