The Christmas Countdown Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by F. King Daniel, Oct 26, 2010.

1. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, yes, do. It's fabulous. I love all the preamble about all the tech they used to track Santa (mainly special heat-seeking tech used only once a year to pick up the heat signature of Rudolph's nose! :lol:)

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

That Thinkgeek t-shirt I ordered for my daughter arrived yesterday. The shirt was $29.99, the delivery charge was $22.00, and my husband had to pay £15 for customs and such on delivery. :cardie: If I ever order anything from Thinkgeek again I'll have it sent to a Canadian or American friend and have them send it to me via surface mail as a gift. I've learned my lesson! The shirt is brilliant, though, and my daughter is sure to love it.

4. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

International shipping sucks. I once sent a travel mug to a friend. The mug was $13.00. The shipping was over $20.

5. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Which shirt did you order? And in the future, please think of me, i'd be happy to help you out!

6. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I ordered once from think geek while I was in Northern Ireland. I actually had to phone the courier company in London and get them to organise putting it on a plane to Belfast :wtf:

Hoping shipping to Canada will be a smidge easier...

UPS are the worst - anything I order from Weta that comes from their warehouse in the US has a hefty brokerage charge slapped on it by UPS. If I get it shipped from New Zealand it arrives happily by Canada Post with no extra charges.

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

UPS, as in United Parcel Service, or the US Postal Service?

I never had any problem with UPS; it's FedEx that seems to screw us over again and again. Apparently, when the delivery guy for our area takes a vacation, they just let the packages sit on the truck until he gets back. :klingon:

8. Mary Ann

I ordered this one:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/womens/b3e7/

It describes my daughter perfectly, which is why I don't begrudge this one-time major expense for one t-shirt. However I will definitely keep you in mind for any future purchases from Thinkgeek, because I love their stuff. Thanks for the offer. :bolian:

Trampledamage, it was UPS who delivered it. In fact, I didn't have the choice to send it via surface mail, which is a pain for overseas buyers. I did receive it in 3 days, though, and I didn't have to call anyone in London to arrange a flight to our nearest airport. :cardie: Heck, it would probably be cheaper for me to take the bus to London and pick it up myself.

9. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

^ That's an awesome gift for your daughter.

I've ordered several items from thinkgeek.com last year, delivery to Germany went totally smooth (and fast - took only a week or so for the packages to arrive).

My application for leave still hasn't been approved. It probably will, but I'd prefer to be able to book my train tickets now :(

Looking forward to spending the week leading up to Christmas Eve with my family down south in Bavaria :)

10. trampledamage

United Parcel Service. To be fair, on other deliveries they're are fine, but for some reason Weta stuff gets a charge often almost of the cost of the item all over again.

11. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, that's an awful lot of extra costs you had to pay there! That delivery charge is a scandal! I think when it comes to customs, though, anything over $18 can get clobbered for customs. I think it's been the same rate for years, too. About time it went up.

12. F. King Daniel

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be honest, I think they're all as equally hare-brained as each other. A lobby seems to to confuse the hell out of them, or at least, their delivery policies are such that they don't seem able to consistently buzz the correct bell... :D

As for international delivery charges, both US and UK customs have majorly cracked down on items slipping through the cracks. You would actually have to have it marked as a gift to avoid charges now, whereas a few years ago it was luck of the draw.

It's also more costly for the recipient if you use a courier rather than regular carriers like Royal Mail or USPS, because the couriers pay some fees in advance, and then charge you for them, plus a handling charge. If possible I always prefer to receive and send things via the normal carriers, but with tracking, signature and insurance to increase reliability up to an acceptable standard.

14. Joshua Howard

Joshua Howard Captain Captain

We set out our food donation collection bins yesterday at the entrances of my Walmart store. We also constructed and decorated three large christmas trees. People are buying more food than usual now, as they always do pre-thanksgiving. Working retail, Christmas is huge... and I've always loved that.

15. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

We are lucky in Australia. Broadly speaking we do not have pay customs or GST on overseas purchases under $1000. Customs do look out for people getting multiple packages i.e. if you received 4 packages over a short time with goods totally over $1000 than most likely you would be charged customs and GST.

This is because Australian Customs just couldn't cope with the vast amount of small overseas purchases Australians started to make once internet shopping because popular.

16. trampledamage

Me too - I don't mind waiting a bit longer to get it via normal postal service. Also, if you're not in Canada Post will take a parcel back to the local post office for you to pick up within a week which is easy for me to organise. UPS give you three days otherwise it's heading back to the sender, and they always come round at the same time - 3:30 - guess what time I'm always out picking up my kids from school... :scream:

17. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Heh. UPS and FedEx just drops packages at our door and then drives off. Luckily, we have honest neighbors.

18. F. King Daniel

19. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Bought an adorable glass bunny Christmas tree ornament at the gift shop at Winterthur (http://www.winterthur.org/) a few days ago.

I love that NORAD Santa tracker! Like someone said, the best part is the explanation of the heat-seeking technology.

20. Mary Ann

I'm feeling somewhat Christmassy today because my husband and I bought wood logs and coal yesterday for our fireplace, and I have a lovely fire going. And, yes, I'm completely ignoring our city's smokeless fires by-laws. ;) We bought 10 bags of smokeless coal-like stuff a few years back and discovered that this stuff is impossible to light without immersing it in a wood or proper coal fire, which kind of defeats the whole smokeless thing. No one has complained about the smoke from our fireplace in 4 1/2 years, so all's good.