Your Love For Amok Time !!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Nero's Shadow, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I watched Amok Time the other day and I have to say its one of my all time favourites. There are some really good scene interaction with kirk Spock and Mcoy. One of my favourites is when kirk and Spock talk about the birds and the bees and Spock replies the birds and the bees are not Vulcan.

It also has probably the best fight scene of all three seasons kirk and Spock do a great duel. We also find out a lot more about Spocks race and the Vulcan that was never very detailed in the series.

So that's why I love amok time !!! What's your love for this episode !!

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I would have loved to have seen Kirk manage to knock out Spock just to see the look on Miss Flawlessly Logical's only 3 possible outcome's face when Kirk has her beamed up with him, Spock, and McCoy.

3. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I rewatched the fight scene yesterday on Youtube. And I agree, it's a good fight. It's also a good peek into Spock's character. These are the days of "you can't show two people in bed in the movies unless they each have at least one foot on the floor", and he's talking about mating.

4. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    classic episode of course with the famous ending.
    "Captain?" "Jim!" and Spock's reaction

5. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Yup. This is easily one of the best of the series.

6. Captain Tracy

Captain Tracy Commander Red Shirt

This might sound like an odd observation, but outside of the dialog, story, and scenery, I though in this episode - more than any other - because of the actors great ability, I really FELT like they were on an extremely arid and hot planet.

Obviously, much credit has to go to the set director and the lighting director, but I feel the actors just tried a bit harder to convince us that this was truly an alien planet - more so than in other 'alien planet' episodes, where they just walk around like 'ho-hum,... look were are on an alien planet,.. see the upside-down plants,... very alien."

So many good things about this episode, too be sure.

7. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

I love it less now. This is the first sign of the injection of more "action" (fight scenes) to improve ratings, after their having almost been cancelled (yes, it happened after season 1 too). I'm not too interested in fight scenes, they take time away from the science fiction, and often are contrived and embarrassing.

8. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

eh? I don't think "Amok Time" was unusually action-oriented than many episodes in season 1 were.

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I started writing a fanfic about that scenario, except that in keeping with the rules of the ritual, Spock is killed. So Kirk has to figure out how to explain this all to Starfleet, figure out what to do with T'Pring, and he's in mourning for his friend.

Shore Leave was a "ripped shirt" episode not only for Kirk, but also for Yeoman Barrows!

10. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Spock’s emotional reaction to seeing Kirk alive, and his “logical” rationalization of it, were amusing to watch. But we’d already seen McCoy supposedly die and get doubletalked back to life in “Shore Leave.” Later, Scotty would die and get doubletalked back to life in “The Changleling,” and the same thing would happen to Kirk two more times — in “The Tholian Web” and “The Enterprise Incident.” Cheap writing. These were the stars of the show; we knew they weren’t going to die. (Well, at least not until M*A*S*H.)

Um, you’re thinking of 1937, not 1967. But TV censorship was a lot stricter in those days. It was a big deal to let Kirk use the expletive “hell” at the end of “City on the Edge of Forever.” And no open-mouthed kisses!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Ya know, as gorgeous as Arlene Martel is in this, having seen her in other 60s shows (Hogan's Heroes, Outer Limits...) I think the exotic hair and Vulcan makeup actually hid much of her natural beauty. Look at her as the supposedly mousey charwoman in Demon With a Glass Hand, and she's absolutely breathtaking! (Then again, I have a thing for the natural, wild-haired, unmade-up look)

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love T'Pring's reasoning which on several re-watches I failed to remember so it was like hearing it anew. I'm always impressed with this level of machinations.

It's a very intense episode to watch.

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Although I always wondered why a logical Vulcan woman would need to cause this much trouble, and someone's death, to change partners. Surely there were legal options in such an advanced society.

Also wondered why a logical Vulcan woman would wear so much makeup and jewelry. Then again, it WAS her wedding.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah.

The first fight scene of the series was in the first pilot, The Cage, when in illusion Pike fought the Kalar on Rigel VII.

The second fight scene of the series was in the second pilot, Where No Man Has Gone Before, when Kirk fought Gary Mitchell with a phaser rifle.

The main premise of Arena is a really long fight scene between Kirk and the Gorn captain.

But let's not forget Kirk v. Khan (Space Seed), Kirk v. Spock (This Side of Paradise), Kirk v. Finnegan (Shore Leave), Kirk v. Finney (Court Martial), Lazarus v. Lazarus (The Alternative Factor), etc.

Seems like there was already the "injection" of action in the first season.

---

Amok Time is an excellent episode.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cuz Vulcans talk a good game about logic, but in the end, they're hypocrites who use logic to rationalize whatever bad behavior they want to get up to.

16. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

This. And the fact that if the ladies decide to walk out of their arranged marriages, their husbands-to-be will die of the blood fever, so it's probably kind of discouraged.

17. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing that always resonated with me was when Spock asks McCoy to beam down with him and Kirk. McCoy is genuinely touched to be considered one of Spock's closest friends. No sarcasm. No humerous coments. Just a simple: "I would be honored, sir."
    It was moments like this that helped show that in the end, push comes to shove, Bones and Spock were about as close friends as one could get.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

You'd have to be really dumb to cross a Vulcan woman.

19. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Yes, that's an excellent scene. Whenever I watch TOS nowadays it's this kind of scenes I notice - the small things which together form the Big Three. The Kirk - Spock - McCoy dynamic is what makes TOS TOS, in my opinion.

20. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love how Spocks emotional outbust is not a joke, not a gimick but does show his real affection for his captain and friend to the point he "dropped his guard" for a moment. Very touching.