Game of Thrones 3.3 - "Walk of Punishment" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 14, 2013.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

34.4%
  2. Above average

59.4%
  3. Average

3.1%
  4. Below average

3.1%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Rate and discuss (with spoilers for the episode, but not for forthcoming episodes) "Walk of Punishment", airing on the 14th April on HBO and on the 15th April on Sky Atlantic.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nC3ZYdqKA&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

What an odd mix of nasty and comedic... a very strange overall tone, or tones. Looking forward to non-readers' reactions to Dany's offer and the "unkindest cut of all" there at the end. :evil:

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The cutting of Jaime's hand and then the song coming in is the greatest moment ever and I will hear no argument to the contrary.

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Until they match up Dany and the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, at least.... ;)

5. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Good job. Another first.rate episode. Theons storyline is different than I remember from the books....

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad he gave Brienne a hand there, hey-oh

7. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

My wife screamed at the end! :guffaw:

8. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So did Jaime!

9. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

The Stannis/Melisandre scene was just embarrassing as was Tyrion/Pod, although I did like the nod to GRRM's infamous Meereenese Knot.

Quite liked the Jaime/Brienne stuff though and I loved actually hearing Rhaegar get mentioned since S1.

10. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

I totally expected that chopping. However, I didn't expect it to be that sudden.

I'm guessing that guy helping out the Greyjoy is the son from wedlock? Has anyone seen the Bastard? As I watched Theon's escape... I had the horrible feeling that the whole thing was a long torture by the sweeper.

Gah - everything will be even worse!

11. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Jaime losing his hand was definitely shocking. I can't imagine Robb will be particularly happy about it not to mention they've just made the shackles useless. Jaime made a good try of talking his way out of the situation but he's definitely no Tyrion.

For Daenerys I suspect
    she's going to turn her slave soldiers on their former masters which is why she's keen to know exactly how loyal they are.
    I have read up through A Clash Of Kings though so I might have an unfair advantage in that guess.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  12. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This. So very much.

I nearly peed myself laughing when I realized what was going on.

13. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

I totally get what they were going for with the song thing and that kind of tonal dissonance works really well for me sometimes, but the problem here is just that I don't think it's a very good version of The Bear and the Maiden Fair. Last year's The Rains of Castamere was a great rendition where as this just felt jumbled, awkward and more obviously "putting-the-book-lyrics-to-music" than a song in its own right compared to TRoC.

Or maybe it's just cause I don't like punk. :rommie:

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Finally! "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" has arrived! And the punk/thrash version at the end right after the cut was awesome - and totally unexpected... :D

15. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

This. I skimmed this thread before watching the episode and wondered how on earth a scene with Pod could be made embarrassing. Now I know.

Otherwise a decent episode, although I think the slow pace is starting to hurt the quality a little.

16. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

'Above Average' for me - the best episode of the season, so far. Also the funniest episode in a long time. :)

I thought the Pod stuff (and council chair scene) was hilarious... a great contrast to the otherwise grim material.

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Agreed. I didn't find it embarrassing or out of place at all. I definitely think they're trying to lighten the mood in an otherwise dour atmosphere. As anyone who has read the books can attest, Westeros and Essos are generally dark and unhappy places in which to live.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the scene where Pod returned really made me laugh when you consider how much Tyrion and Bronn usually have to give up in gold for the prostitutes that they see.

19. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't object to lightening the mood. I do object to sticking a few minutes of a bad teen sex comedy into something that pretends to be a serious and realistic drama.

20. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the Pod bit was great! I like the little comedy scenes, this one and the one last week between Tyrion and his girlfriend. A little levity is refreshing.

That ending...wow. As Jamie was talking I didn't think the other guy was really buying it. I wonder if he'll get an attachment.

Giving up a dragon...that's some high stakes she's playing. I imagine she must have some kind of plan, I know she's desperate but it's difficult to believe she would give up a dragon so easily.