Guillermo Del Toro's Justice League Dark?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OdoWanKenobi, Jan 8, 2013.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool. I'm not real familiar with these characters other than Zatanna, but I like the idea of getting stuff based on some of the less traditional areas of the comic universes.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It actually makes a lot of commercial sense. Magic and monsters is really popular. You would attract the comic book crowd without making a "super-hero" movie and isolating anybody still put off by costumes.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Basically DC/WB's GotG.

Though I think Days of Vengeance with the Shadowpact would have worked better. Blue Devil was essentially Hellboy in that mini anyways.

edit: Though given his Swampy interest the most likely story would be Moore's Great Darkness Story.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

isn't Guillermo also attached to half a dozen other projects as well? either way, i really enjoy Justice League Dark and the Vertigo stuff so i'd def watch a JLD film.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

He claims that he got a phone call asking if he'd be interested in doing Star Wars Episode VII but turned it down.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could see del Toro being a producer on this, but with Pinocchio, Crimson Peak, still wanting to do At the Mountains of Madness and Hellboy 3, I just don't see him directing this.

8. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I would be interested to see where this would go. Lots of potential here, both good and bad.

9. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Fine, but get John Constantine right this time. British, sarcastic, middle aged. Maybe played by Jason Isaacs.

He might be a bit too old by now though.

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

They all seem like characters who'd be right up his alley. If they can pull off the visual look of Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth it could be very cool.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ohmigod, this sounds amazing. I've always loved the spookier side of the DC Universe.

Dibs on the novelization! :)

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

If Zatanna is more like her pre reboot self, and not a magical stripper/Chriss Angel looking magician that they made her into with the JL Dark comic, I could be excited. I do like the Magical parts of the old DCU, and I always liked Zatanna (and Spectre, deadman, Madame Xanadu and others). If they go with more of a New 52 thing, I have no interest in it at all.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

As with BLADE way back when . . . .

I suspect the majority of viewers who saw BLADE didn't even know it was based on a comic book.

14. OdoWanKenobi

Considering the obscene amounts of money made by Avengers and The Dark Knight, I have to wonder if the costume thing is really a turn off for people now. It seems we've long past the point where superheroes are just something for nerds, and are now accepted into the mainstream pretty easily.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This sounds like a good commercial move. As noted by theenglish magic and monster films have had recent success. WB look no farther than Harry Potter but Percy Jackson is also filming it's second movie and Hobbit back in the mix for monsters on film.

A JLD film using the right mix, on paper, sounds like a possible winner. The only character that sounds a bit forced for the group Del Toro mentioned is Swamp Thing. It may be that including him is a set-up for a spin off though!!

Another thing it does is avoid being seen as blatantly trying to ride the coat tails of Avengers, like JLA appears(can't blame them though). It also doesn't mirror X-Men. It's a team of magicians and other supernatural types with other angles to explore.

Don't know how "hot" the current JLD comic sells but I've enjoyed it and Constantine is the core of that title and now he's spinning out into his own title this Spring.

16. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the first thing I've seen that makes me think Warner could compete with the Marvel movies. Marvel's success came from hitting people where they didn't expect it (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America - all concepts that were off the radar of the general public). This is DC's shot at replicating that.

17. OdoWanKenobi

^As someone else said before, this seems to me to be more like DC's answer to Guardians of the Galaxy. A team that is all but completely unknown the the general public, but popular with the comic book fans, designed to complement the more established and iconic team movie (Avengers/Justice League) and build the cinematic universe.

I do think it's of interest that it seems to indicate Marvel and DC going in opposite directions in regards to genre. Marvel's plan now seems to be building up their sci-fi cosmic universe, while a JLD movie would indicate DC leaning more towards the supernatural/fantasy elements of their universe.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I like her new look.

If they make this movie, they might pay homage to her old magician's outfit with the top hat, but I think she'll be wearing something else most of the time.

19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

She looks stupid. That, plus the fact that in the New 52 when she met Constantine she was basically a magical stripper just helped kill her as a character I was interested in, when it comes to reading comic books. To be fair to her new look, not one hero or villain that got a redesign has a redesign that is better than the original look, but atleast a few came out tolerable. Her new origin is more understandable, and made a bit more tolerable by comparison, when you realise DC made a lot of their female characters either idiots (Wonder Woman) or sex objects with no personality (Starfire) with the New 52, so her being a magical stipper who atleast has a brain makes her better than most New 52 female characters. But, that doesn't make save her from being just another ruined New 52 hero I used to really like who I now have no desire to read. I still like the character, just not the New 52 version. Like with pretty much all DC characters, I'll continue to read and enjoy her old DCU adventures, and ignore her in the New 52.

That said, and back on topic, if shes not a magic stripper, I'd like to see her in a movie, along with other magic heroes.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like her new outfit better myself. I don't dislike her old costume, I just think this one is a lot easier to take seriously.
    Here's a slightly different outfit that they have on most of the covers and promo images.
    Unless we see her performing on stage, I don't see them using her old costume much, if at all in the movie. The new one strikes me as something that would be a lot more likely to be used in a film like this.
    GDT did talk abit about the movie in a recent interview with IGN.