Hancock - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 1, 2008.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

17.2%
  2. Above Average

41.4%
  3. Average

27.6%
  4. Below Average

9.2%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's see what the drop-off is next weekend. I'll be surprised if the movie has any legs.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, it may not have very good legs but it all depends on word-of-mouth.

What comes out this weekend?

3. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Hellboy 2, for one.

4. Luke Lightsaber

Luke Lightsaber Captain

I expect that one to nosedive.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

That's good news. With all the negative reviews, I was afraid it wouldn't do that well.

I am surprised though that the movie isn't popular around here. Back in April, it looked like a lot of people were pretty excited about it.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Even if it has a 60% drop-off this weekend it'd still end up with a respectable take -esp. after the DVDs.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like others have stated I liked the movie until it became My Super Ex-Girlfriend 2. Actually, it was an OK way to introduce a weakness, I think I just wanted to see more of the Hancock redemption story plus I didn't think their over-the-top fisticuffs and awkward CG truck slamming was necessary or interesting.

At least it explained why superheroes wear silly tights.

8. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I bet two hundred quatloos Hancock will have more business than Superman Returns.

9. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sure, it'll do more business that SR--but Hancock isn't even a patch on that film as far as quality is concerned. Hancock's jarring tonal shifts, under-developed characters, and frankly stupid 'twist' are more suited to a direct-to-video project than to a feature film. I think of very few films I go see as a complete waste of my time, but this is one of them.

Let me ask you this: if Hancock starred an unknown rather than the most bankable star in Hollywood at the moment, do you really think the numbers would be the same?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol::lol:

Hellboy 2 The Golden Army, an honest comic book movie, that should open around $40m I'd think. Still if Hancock has good WOM, which is iffy based on what I'm seeing about the 'net, it could best HB2. However, I see a solid 50% drop placing it at about $30m and a second place finish, but ahead of Journey to the Center of the Earth. That movie has little buzz on it as of now. Its 3-D gimmick is about the only thing of uniqueness it has going for it.

Still though this is Will Smiths 8th consecutive $100m movie. Making him the only actor to have that streak. He was tied with Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise at 7 before this. He has 12 $100m movies in all.

11. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Saw it in German, and must say the Germans do the dubins very well.

What made those three losers in prison think they could take Hancock at the end o the movie though... At first I thought they had some evil plan, but no, they were just lucky morons.

First half was better than the second, I agree. Of course the door is wide open for a sequel depending on the take.

12. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

I'd say somewhere between Average and Above Average. It was a lot of fun and Will Smith was great as always, but once Charlize Theron became another superhuman the story logic fell apart HARD. The script needed another rewrite to keep the tone more consistent, and to give the "if we're close to each other we'll die" idea something resembling more coherence. They set up the sequel in NYC, so we'll see if such a sequel can make these mostly good ideas better.

13. Mr. Fergy

Mr. Fergy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked it. Will Smith continues to be "Mr. July" in my book.

14. Mr. Fergy

Mr. Fergy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed.

BTW: Sehen Sie "Hancock" im Deutsch? Verstehen Sie "Hancock"? :)

15. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I disagree. If you're talking about a typical super hero origin story, you'd be correct. However this isn't as much as super hero story than it is about people finding their way in a super hero setting. If they would have laid all the cards out on the table at the beginning, it wouldn't have been as interesting as it was.

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I quoted this because it pretty much sums up my opinion of the film pretty well.

Average - not great, but not bad.

17. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As if Singer sucking the cock of Donner wasn't bad enough, but people think S:R is actually a quality film?
    No it wouldn't, but the numbers would be far better than S:R, that's for sure. S:R was supposed to blow off everything in its path, instead it was a massive embarrassment for every good fan of Superman.

18. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

I'm talking about ANY story. You can do more backstory and still be creative and unpredictable.

And this film especially missed that golden opportunity and, for me, took the lazy way out.

--Ted

19. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's a question... the main theme, with all the brass, heard during the part where Hancock picks up the car while rescuing the police offer... that's not actually on the soundtrack?

20. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I saw it last night and was very underwhelmed by it. I thought there was a terrible mess, the story tried to go in several opposite directions. Saw it in French so I couldn't tell about the halfway cuts in dialogs...
    It started well, though.