Season DVD Packaging

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amaris, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

One other thing: The cover art guy says that legal size paper should be used. Is that true? (I don't know if my printer can handle legal size.)

3. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Most printers can handle legal paper. Normal letter paper is 8.5x11. Legal is 8.5x14, so it's the same width, just more length. Most printers have a hinged flap or sliding arm to support the extra length.

4. Amaris

I use standard size paper. It leaves about an 1/6" uncovered in the front and back. but it's not really noticeable.

[​IMG]

5. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Part of if you need to jump to legal size paper depends on your printer. If you can do "full bleed" printing that starts right at the paper edge instead of leaving a margin then you can squeeze most covers on standard paper.

6. Amaris

Yep. I can do 0 margins with my printer, and I think it looks good. For me, it looks far better than the alternative. In fact, I just picked up Season 4 at a farmer's market for $10 because there was no outer case, just a badly damaged inner case. All the DVDs were in great shape. Took it home, put the discs in one of my new cases, added the cover, and now we're up to Season 4. :D

7. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

Standard width cases, that's the stuff I am talking about, for some reason I could never just use that terminology. I've also seen King of the Hill (albeit once for seasons one and two), The X-Files and That 70's show doing that (the new cases). I can't even begin to describe how much better (and less costly) those sets seem to be (in my eyes).

8. Neutral Zone

Neutral Zone Captain Captain

I bought all my in the slim line packaging (TNG,Voyager & DS9)and find them easy to get the disc out and they take up less room on the shelf. The TOS presentation of the new remastered set look good, they arein a tin case with the DVD's in a plastic case, mostly layered in two's. Presentation is good and looks cool on the shelf but getting the discs out can be a problem at times and it is not always to keep them in order.

9. Amaris

The DVDs in the complex, cut your fingers, give you a headache type packaging are going down in price. This means I can pick them up much cheaper than if bought new, and then put them in these custom cases which are easy to use and look very nice.

10. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is the biggest pet peeve I have with my VOY DVDs -- counting to find the DVD I need. Print the darn episode titles on the darn disc, please. :scream:

11. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Paramount really screwed up when they designed the R1 packaging, particularly for DS9 and VOY. The TNG sets are barely acceptable - they look pretty, but have thick cardboard outer boxes and the inner gate-fold that's sometimes difficult to get out. They also take up a ton of space. The DS9 sets are noticeably smaller, but have poor (in my opinion) artwork and design, and are constructed out of pathetic plastics that's too flimsy and prone to tearing. Thankfully, my sets have held up well but it's not like they get over-used. The VOY sets look nicer than the DS9 sets as far as artwork is concerned, but the plastic is still flimsy and I have a difficult time piecing the outer shell together. The lack of proper disc art and labels is insulting. And the choice of random, bright, obnoxious colors does not make this set attractive. Puke green? Bright pink? WTF? I only own season four, which is a very nice shade of blue, at least.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see that Effectuality is a Canadian company. For whatever you've bought from them, have you had any problem with customs and crap like that?

13. Amaris

I used Genesys for my order (the ten pack). However, I have ordered from Canadian companies in the past without incident.