‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

A Shazam movie could be awesome. I don't have a problem with Billy being a bratty teenager. Billy is an orphan trapped in the child care system and moving from foster home to foster home. That would make anyone jaded. He's still nice to his friends Freddie and his sister Mary. Besides the Wizard chose him despite his flaws. There is obviously good in Billy, and when he gets the powers he uses them to help people.

Also Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel now. Marvel comics owns the Trademark for the name. Go Carol Go!

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah. Especially The Avengers in the light of Days of Future Past.

For me though, I can give them an easier pass than MOS. The Marvel movies are trying to be just popcorn entertainment, let's have a laugh with a wink and a nod to how silly all of this is. I felt like MOS was trying to be more than a glib tent pole, but only got the visuals, but not the substance.

I get the realness of Cavill's Clark, but, he felt so disconnected from everyone else. I never felt like the characters connected to each other. They just were. Just moving through the frame doing the thing they needed to do. Like everyone was emotionally distant from each other.

3. M.A.C.O.

A look at LexCorp
    [​IMG]

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

He's been cast as Gambit in the next X-Men movie. Obviously that doesn't preclude him appearing Shazam too but I would imagine it makes it a little less likely.

5. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can see them maybe taking a lighter, more tongue-in-cheek approach with Captain Marvel (I agree, his name is Captain Marvel. I don't give a crap about trademarks.) Sort of what Marvel was apparently planning to do with Ant-Man, although with the departure of Edgar Wright, who the hell knows what they're doing anymore?

If they go with Hal as GL, I think Bradley Cooper would be a good choice. I'm sure they're undoubtedly going with Barry for the Flash, but since they're already going to have a Barry Allen Flash running around on the small screen, I still hold out some vain hope that they'll go with Wally for the movies. Wally is my Flash.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

This has been the case for decades. I think DC finally just gave up on calling him Captain Marvel.

7. M.A.C.O.

Yeah I think so as well. Because of the TM deal with Marvel, all of DC's Captain Marvel comics had to be titled Shazam. Also most casual readers identified Billy Baston as Shazam because that's the word he spoke to activate his powers. It irked me a little bit when they did this for New52, but after reading the comic, I liked the change. It's not like Shazam is an inappropriate name or that the wizard who shares the name was that influential to the story telling. More power to both DC and Marvel for doing different things with their characters. Especially Carol Danvers. Funny thing is, Supergirl during the 90's was called Linda Danvers. DC and Marvel always lifting ideas from one another.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, as a big Captain Marvel fan I hated the change. Then I realised that, with the personality change, DC's Shazam no longer resembled the real, original Captain Marvel in anything but appearance. His whole premise is different. So, I can say that my favorite DC hero, Captain Marvel, isn't being used by DC anymore. The character that at one point outsold Superman got thrown away, and Shazam is basically a legacy hero, like when Dick Grayson became Batman. The real Billy Batson is dead, and the angsty teen with the same name is just some random d-bag. He is one of the worst rebooted heroes, and I hope he doesn't get a movie, and eventually fades away from the comics like other reboot failures Voodoo, Grifter, Static, etc. The big red cheese will always be my favorite DC hero, but Shazam needs to disappear. He definitely doesn't need a movie.

9. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Calmer than you Neroon, calmer than you.

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

There's been talk of doing a solo Batman movie in 2020, which would be three years after Justice League (and eight years after The Dark Knight Rises). That is, if Justice League is slated for May 2017 as rumored.

Word on the street is that WB wants to wait some time before commissioning another solo Batman adventure in order to have enough time pass after Nolan's Batman trilogy, which honestly makes a lot of sense (something Sony could have benefited from with their Amazing Spider-Man reboot if they didn't have the rights issue to contend with). Especially if Kevin Smith's comments are true about WB's intention of doing team-up movies for now on, which given the Green Lantern/Flash team-up movie rumor might be true.

However, by 2020, it might be time for a new Batman reboot anyway. Ben Affleck is at least signed for the upcoming Batman vs. Superman and Justice League, but not much is known after that. Ben Affleck is also 41 and in six years he'll be 47, which might be too old for Batman. I could see WB opting for a different actor (also, would Affleck wanna continue to play Batman for that long) or I could even see Affleck working as an older Bruce Wayne in a Batman Beyond movie... if WB ever goes that route.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Hmmm...I seem to recall being taken to task around these parts last year for daring to suggest that they might take this approach....

Not if they're looking to TDKR for inspiration...Batman doesn't get too old, he just gets meaner.

Reminds me of my old Saturn dealership....

Wait, so is the current version of Cap in the same situation that Cap Jr. used to be in...not being able to say his own name?

Also, FWIW, the Linda Danvers name dates back to the 60s, before Carol Danvers was even a supporting character, from when the original version of the character was adopted by a family named Danvers.

12. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That's the silly thing about it to me. The magic word he says that transforms him is Shazam so he goes by... Shazam?

"Wow thank you so much, what's your name?"
    "Shazam" *lightning bolt falls from sky, turns him back into kid/teen*
    "Sooo... you're a kid?!"

or

"Who's your favorite superhero? Mine's Batman."
    "Oh I like a lot of them... Superman's cool."
    "Oh who's the big red one? What's his name, Shazoom?"
    "You mean Shazam?" *bolt of lightning*
    "WHOAH!!!"

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Maybe it only works if he shouts it :lol:

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Or he lets his agent, Jim Nabors, handle all introductions.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Saving the planet, rescuing the people in your city and finding a way to win the day without resorting to killing your opponent. That's what Superman does (see Grant Morrison's recent Action Comics arc). That's more heroic.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Shazam? Seriously?!

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Jason Momoa is the last person in the world I expected to play Aquaman. Is he going to be a short haired blonde in it?

19. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If there's any truth to that rumor, it almost seems like they're trying to make him more Namor-like. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. It's not like Marvel seems to have any interest in bringing Namor to the big screen.

20. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain