General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Besides the main subject of the video, the black guy twatting about at the front deserved a punch for being a complete fucking arsehole.

But seriously, Punk hits someone who he thought hit him when it was someone else. It's a mistake, but the WWE should compensate the guy quickly and quietly, and probably think through a little more how they do these kinds of segments in the future.

2. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

One of the worst things to have come out of this incident is your typical IWC (I hate that term) people, talking like Punk has flown off the rails!

It's madness, one isolated incident, and suddenly CM Punk is either vilified or agreed with because people can't bear to say anything bad about him. I don't know Punk personally, so I can't comment, nor do I want to speculate upon his real life personality, but when you spend 300+ days on the road, working your ass off several times a week, only for fans to take liberties by smacking you about - it's going to be hard not to react.

Besides, this incident is nothing comparison to some of the things that the likes of Randy Orton, Shawn Michaels, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Hulk Hogan and even Vince McMahon himself, have got up to in the past.

3. Ghost Bones

Anyway that aside, is anyone else very unimpressed that the WWE Champion got his bollocks handed to him by Methuselah McMahon? Finally, CM Punk has the WWE Heel Disease. He is now but a weak coward.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is what pisses me off about his heel turn, and what I've tried to explain before. This isn't anything new. He's essentially doing the cowardly heel gimmick right now. I really don't understand why they've done this. I understand a heel turn...but not this type.

5. Ghost Bones

Well it's the same as every heel. If you're not big enough to be a monster, you're a weak coward. Conversely, when you are big enough to be a monster, if you're a face you're a weak loveable loser. That's the WWE formula and it's despicably boring and predictable.

6. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i caught WWE The Main Event. I gotta say it was pretty solid. I enjoyed it more than recent Raws. But it makes a huge difference, when you have just one hour, with a strong buildup/focus for a match or two.

7. Mr Silver

Unless you are Ryback or Brock Lesnar...

Ridiculous levels of muscle definition seem to equate to strength, power and toughness in the eyes of WWE. We know Brock Lesnar can back it up, given his history in amateur wrestling and MMA, but apparently, most of the other muscle monsters through the years haven't lived up to the look.

One of the best examples I can think of is when Ultimate Warrior was battling Andre The Giant in the late 1980's. Warrior kept stiffing Andre with a poorly executed clothesline in match after match, despite the fact that Andre kept telling him to stop. Eventually, Andre had enough and held out his fist during the spot, which Warrior went straight into and knocked himself silly. Warrior immediately improved upon his clothesline execution!

Then of course, you have Jericho getting the best of Goldberg in a backstage brawl, and Booker T kicking Batista's ass.

8. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

That's because Chris Jericho is an honest man and the best in the world at whatever it is he happens to do.

I recall reading about this the day after it happened and I have to say that Booker hit the nail on the head in his assessment of Dave Bautista's lack of respect for the business and his peers.

9. Ghost Bones

Well it's a relatively recent phenomenon and indicative of WWE laziness in recent years, so that rules out Lesnar who, of course, is a heel on 2012. Ryback's a straight copy of Goldberg, which is a gimmick in itself. To come in as a big muscly man and start beating everyone all over the place in such a way the crowd chants for more, that's doing a Goldberg. Also, Ryback's quite short.

10. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Very sad that Vince still has to get in some offense when he jumps in the ring and the way he oversold the slap at the beginning was terrible. Did the man learn nothing from Lawler awhile ago? Men his age should not be involved in that kind of activity, especially a guy who abused roids the way he did in his youth.

My new tshirt..."FEED ME SMORES!"

11. Admiral_Young

12. Admiral_Young

An interesting Sting interview. Apparently he hasn't totally ruled out going to WWE but says that possibly his induction into the TNA Hall of Fame might prevent it. I doubt that. If Vince thinks he could make a buck from it (and it's undoubted on my part that he could) he would find a way to make it happen still. Sting has always wanted to do "one cool thing with the Undertaker".

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_65905.shtml

13. Mr Silver

I'm thinking it was Orton, he's always been more outspoken than your typical WWE superstar. I remember a couple of years back in a non-kayfabe interview, where he spoke of his joy at "being on a different show to Triple H". To those unfamiliar with this kind of stuff, Orton was essentially suggesting that Triple H took priority when it came to the main event, and that by being on a different show, Orton and others had a chance to work without fear of Triple H taking their spot. It is of course, unsubstantiated, but some wrestlers (past and present) feel/felt that Triple H has held them back, despite the evidence that suggests otherwise (Triple H has put over numerous talent strongly, throughout his career).

Back to the original topic though, there is only a handful of people that could get away with directly challenging Vince McMahon in that way, they include:

Triple H
    Stephanie McMahon
    John Cena
    Randy Orton
    The Undertaker

I can't think of anyone else who A) is inclined to voice up, B) immune from demotion or any other consequences, and C) close enough to McMahon, where he will take what they say seriously and personally.

14. Ghost Bones

Not long until Bound for Glory. Anyone excited?

15. Admiral_Young

16. Icemizer

^Good story. You cant surround yourself with yes men all the time or you will end up failing. It almost happend to the WWF when WCW was crushing them. Vince just kept going with what he thought the people wanted and I am sure Briscoe and Patterson kept going yes boss thats great, even though it really sucked. You need an annoying guy like Heyman arround just to keep you looking for, well, the next big thing.

17. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

It's worth noting however that, for every wrestler that Triple H put over there are even more wrestlers that he has never, nor would he ever put over. Some of those same wrestlers could honestly say that Trips held them back.

That said, Randy Orton is NOT one of those main-eventers that Trips held back in fact, it could be argued that Trips made Orton the superstar he is. Hell, Trips put Orton over just about every time he cut a promo as a member of Evolution, nevermind the angle they did 2005 after Orton won his first World Championship. For Orton to publically make such an comment at Trips' expense is just classless.

18. Mr Silver

Actually, Pat Patterson was incredibly outspoken and honest with Vince. It's well documented that Patterson was/is one of the only people who could make Vince see sense when something was going in an abysmal direction, or would be an awful idea to begin with, despite Vince's enthusiasm for it.

It has even been suggested that the "yes men" era began, in part, because Patterson left the creative team (back in 2004, which is definitely possible, given the gradual decline in quality, following that period of time). That's how strong Patterson is as a voice of reason.

19. Icemizer

So its Ryback and Punk. This match has train wreck written all over it. So how do you book it for Punk to keep the belt but Ryback to maintain his undefeated streak? Ryback isnt ready for any type of title run at this point and once he loses the undefeated thing he is just another guy.
    I guess Punk could keep playing the cowardly heel and just run away or Heyman could bring in Lesner for backup setting up a Lesner/Ryback battle. The next big thing vs the last big thing has a certain interest to it. Although recalling Lesner/Goldberg that was horrible.

20. Mr Silver

I have a horrible feeling that WWE might put the title on Ryback. Although, this would mean that Punk would have to regain the title, because alas! John Cena cannot do anything heelish, like defeat Ryback for the title! (they did that last year with the challenge for the fake WWE Championship against Mysterio - people hated that)

The most sensible thing, for all involved, would be for the match to end in a no-contest. Heyman introduces a new client, who subsequently comes out and brawls with Ryback (creating a new feud), CM Punk then grabs his belt and bolts from the arena, whilst Cena makes his appearance and chases Punk, with Punk just getting away to end the show.