New Star Trek Items

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by dispatcher812, Dec 24, 2013.

1. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

One of the things I do each day is check this forum and take a peak at "TrekToday Headlines" One of the things I look for is new merchandise. My question is why so much Original series stuff? Where is all the new merchandise for TNG, DS9 and VOY?

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

TOS has endured for almost fifty years, and the reboot movies have renewed interested in that part of the franchise.

I wish there were more DS9 merchandise options, but I get why there isn't.

3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

My guess (based on 5 episodes of Toy Hunter LOL) is either:

1. There are more TOS collectors out there.
    2. CBS has it wrong and thinks there are more TOS collectors than DS9.
    3. The TOS collectors are of an age that they want and can afford toys.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

4. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

You're correct on #1 and #3. Clearly TOS merchandise just sells better. There wouldn't be more on the market if it didn't sell.
    For proof, just look up any item on eBay, organize it by lowest price first and see which series' items are listed first, and which are listed later - and therefore more expensive.
    For example, look up action figures and you'll see (as a general rule) ENT, VOY, DS9, and TNG, list much more frequently (from least expensive to most expensive) before you'll see much TOS. Trust me I know this - I'm a TOS collector, so I have to deal with this.
    In my opinion (and experience) though, the reboot has had little or no affect on the value, or interest in, other series' merchandise.

ME

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hipsters.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

TOS merch sells better. It would probably all be nuTOS if not for the strangely split movie/TV series rights between CBS and Paramount.

7. Commishsleer

Apparently the ST09 stuff didn't see well.

And there's practically nothing out there for STID.

I've got half the bridge and transporter sets from ST09 because they didn't make the second parts.

I think if you want more DS9 stuff to be made buy the existing stuff.

I buy minimates and see on some forums that people complain there's not enough non-TOS characters there. I think they need more people buying the Janeway or Picard figures to get more of these. Jusr my opinion.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Nah, that's clear cut. CBS has the merchandising rights for everything Trek (note both Star Trek XI and Star Trek XI in the listings).
    http://www.cbsconsumerproducts.com/startrek/star_trek_original.html

It's up to the companies wanting to make & sell Trek merchandise to decide which incarnation of it they want to go with. If they have big enough wallets, they can do all of them.

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I got all the six inch figures.

Yeah, sucks, too. It'd be nice to have the whole crew in matchin' uniforms, instead of mix & match of cadets & officers.

I have.

:bolian:

I don't like those things at all, too small and easy to lose.

10. Commishsleer

So its companies like Diamond Select who think that TOS is a better bet. Not CBS.

If everyone buys more DS9 then more should be made, if you believe in the capitalist system. Unless say the DS9 actors/directors/makers get a bigger cut of the toy profits than TOS. I'm not saying they are but you never know.

I buy minimates because my son likes them to battle his Star Wars lego.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Basically. CBS just wants to get paid their cut, so they don't care which version of Trek a licensee wants to pursue.