TOS fans - What is your second favorite show?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Nacluv, Sep 3, 2012.

?

Which show is the best or most acceptable after TOS?

1. The Animated Series

7.4%
  2. The Next Generation

32.4%
  3. Deep Space Nine

32.4%
  4. Voyager

4.4%
  5. Enterprise

14.7%
  6. Fanmade production(s)

1.5%
  7. They all suck!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. They are all great!

5.9%
  9. They are all ok.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I have not seen any of them.

1.5%
  1. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have no doubts that it doesn't matter whether your favorite show is TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT - some like TOS and some doesn't like it and that applies to all shows. An Enterprise fan might consider TOS his second favorite and another might consider TNG or DS9 his second favorite. It's bound to exist divergences among the fans considering how disparate the shows are and they might like different things in different shows.

However, one inquisition that I'm interested in and that I do not think that has been tried yet on the web is if there is any pattern among those of us who have always held TOS as our absolute favorite. While I have not discerned any common denominators among those who hold TOS as their second or third favorite, maybe there can be among those of us who venerates it the most?

Let the discussions begin!

PS. And remember that if you want to vote, there must be no doubt that TOS is your favorite. While the option "They are all great!" exists, it adheres to that you like all the other shows equally as second favorites.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Early seasons of TNG are the ones I go to when I want to watch Modern Trek. While the rest of the shows are watchable, I've got no real desire to revisit them at this point in time.

3. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Considering that most of the pro novels I read are from TOS and most of the fanfic I read is either TOS or Voyager... my answer should be obvious. ;)

I find TNG too preachy, and DS9 too much like a soap opera. Voyager is still "boldly going" where humans have never gone before, and with a cast and background that lends itself very well to fanfic. And whether she wants to admit it or not, Kathryn Janeway and James T. Kirk are both a couple of "cowboy diplomats" when they need to be.

4. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

A toss-up between Babylon 5 and Firefly.

Well, you didn't state it HAD to be a Trek show. :p

5. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wont vote since I can never decide whether I like TNG or TOS more. DS9 is awesome too. So I'm disqualified!

Enterprise is pretty mediocre to bad, and Voyager has seemed awful any time I've tried to sit down to watch it.

6. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The others are all really good, first rate shows, but TOS is not only great, but classic.

7. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

My favorites after TOS are TNG and some episodes of Enterprise. I can't watch DS9 or VOY (especially VOY).

8. Nacluv

Even if it's just 14 votes, I find it interesting that TNG has twice as much votes as DS9.

If we're to put any value on these few votes, it seems that TNG is more popular among TOS hardcores as myself even though DS9 generally seems to be the more popular show on this forum. Just see the TNG vs DS9 - The Showdown thread for examples-

So far, it seems that other TOS fans, just like me, find the format and/or the substance of TNG more appealing in comparison.

9. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Enterprise. IMO, it's the closest thing to the exploring TOS did. Strange new worlds and all of that. TNG was too human-centric.

10. Mr_Homn

now it's ds9 and TNG neck and neck, and enterprise close behind

Of course this is hardly scientific, but oh well!

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I voted, "they are all great". Because they are. Great and varied.

12. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TAS by a country mile. Gotta have Kirk.

13. Nacluv

Could someone please remind me why it was repudiated?

14. Mr_Homn

You're only supposed to vote if TOS is your absolute #1 favorite. Is it your favorite?

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

OOOoo I broke the rules. Now the voting will be contaminated!

I haven't got a favorite. TNG is my least favorite, that's as much preference as I can muster if you're talking series as a whole. I can't really count TAS because of canon issues but I like it just fine. It's quite a thrill hearing their voices again, people should watch TAS for that and some excellent stories.

16. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Something about licensing rights and money. No real reason.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It was a toss-up between TAS and TNG. But if I had a broader choice I'd say my second favorite show is Babylon 5.

Agreed.

18. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.

19. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I went with TNG by a hair, although I have a lot of love for DS9 as well. Both are as good of a followup to TOS as you could hope for.

20. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

TNG may have achieved a pop status, and I love it but I had to throw my vote in for DS9. The writing is just consistently better than TNG, and the use of modern TV storytelling with arcs and character growth and change is a nice bonus as well.