Help Me Build a Comprehensive Star Trek Experience

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by EATERoftheDEAD, May 5, 2013.

1. EATERoftheDEAD

EATERoftheDEAD Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Mirror Universe Saga

First Encounter
    TOS 2.04 Mirror, Mirror
    Terran Rebellion
    DS9 2.23 Crossover
    DS9 3.19 Through the Looking Glass
    DS9 4.20 Shattered Mirror
    Rise of the Empire
    ENT 4.18-4.19 In a Mirror, Darkly, Parts I&II
    Other Encounters
    DS9 6.08 Resurrection
    DS9 7.12 The Emperor’s New Cloak
    Additional Viewing
    TOS 3.09 The Tholian Web

This is really more like three arcs that all deal with the same setting but are a joy to watch anyway.

Mirror, Mirror is a great introduction to the barbarism of the setting and exactly how at odds the MU is to the prime universe. The Terran Rebellion as told on DS9 is an interesting arc that shows the repercussions of Kirk's actions and moves the timeline forward. In a Mirror, Darkly is a lot of fun and I greatly enjoy the writing and so many aspects of the approach and execution. The more I watch Enterprise the more I wonder why people disliked it so much.

The other episodes are entirely skippable. The two DS9 installments are kind of afterthoughts that reference or revisit the earlier episodes. Neither move along the story or characters. The Tholian Web is only peripherally related as it is heavily referenced in the ENT episodes but not directly related otherwise.

2. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

+2 here.

But if it isn't feasible to watch every episode, then what I would recommend is picking up the Star trek Fan Collectives and the Jean-Luc Picard Collection, along with the Star Trek movies. You get a pretty good cross section of some of the best episodes from the various series in the Collectives, except maybe for DS9. DS9 is so serialized (much more than any of the other Trek series), that it is impossible to get a good sense of the show in just a handful of episodes, and the DS9 mirror universe episodes are actually some of the worst DS9 episodes, in an otherwise great series. In fact, Eater, many of the episodes you have listed, are in those fan collectives.

But if you can't do all the Collectives, the "must see collections" IMHO are The Borg, Klingon, Q, Time Travel Fan Collectives, and the Jean-Luc Picard Collection. You can find many of those collections used in a second hand store, or online pretty cheap, now, as long as you don't care its not blu ray.

3. EATERoftheDEAD

EATERoftheDEAD Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yeah I gave up on the whole 'comprehensive experience' thing when it became clear very quickly that it was so subjective as to be an impossible task. I'm working my way through DS9 right now and will soon be watching Voyager as well before moving on to Enterprise.

With so much material out there and most of it quite good it really isn't possible to boil it down into some kind of essential list, as has been said. These lists now are more of a fan's guide to different episodes or story lines in the same vein as the Fan Collection sets.

I'm thinking I'm going to abandon this thread and move the viewing guide thing to its own thread to avoid confusion over the OP.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Yeah....

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

how would you like to try of helping me with my project of building a web page of a walk thru of a star ship?.

7. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

ok hello every one, well i know i have not being on here for a time but i have ben looking for a model star ship, my friend get me one of the thing i was looking for. it is a 32" star ship that kirk heal in his hands in one of the photo they took. i will be picking it up at my computer meet on the 26 of this month. but i will not be puting it together real fast. also my friend is talking a friend of his to get me the pemt lay out of the 10' model of the star ship for me so i can size it up to a 50' model size. this is what i have ben doing for some time. now do any one would like to help me now?.
    DON'T any one like this.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013