WIP - TMP Enterprise, deck by deck

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CTM, May 12, 2009.

1. wjaspers

wjaspers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

First the bridge interiors. These I made back in 2005. The TWOK bridge was made up to scale 1:1, I used the bleuprints they made for building the actual movie bridge, since it has been a few years, I'm not that sure, but I think I got them from Seanr.
    From that I used the circumference of the TWOK bridge to build the TUC bridge, and they do line up perfectly, distance to the ceiling, distance from the center to the turbolifts. And I had some nice bleuprints of the TUC stations.

So that would mean I did as much as I could do to have them up to scale.

The Ent I build in 2008, in AutoCad, no textures, all panels build. You will understand, building the Ent panel by panel, one must be sure that the measurements are correct. I used numerous of sources, provided to me by fellow modelers. And it was also build 1:1.

I can also say that the bridge module is a match to Dennis Bailey's bridge module. So I guess that would be OK.

So yesterday, to proove my statement that every bridge would fit, I thought, wat if I would merge the bridges into my Ent? and to my surprise those pics is what turned out.

Now, here is a pic so you can see there is no other possibility:

What you see here is the TWOK bridge, the green lines are the center of the dome, we know (at least I know) that the turbolifts are set 30 degree from the center, these are the red lines. I also know the distance of the center of the turbolifts to the center of the bridge ie dome. On the outside of the module I know the top of the turbolifts because I can see them. Put those together and done.
    Hope this makes sense. In other words, making the circumference of the bridge bigger, and the center will shift away from the center of the dome, or if you keep the center, the lifts will shift further away.

[​IMG]

Here is another one:

[​IMG]

2. wjaspers

Nice, however, like the bleuprints of the bridges at the LCARS database, your bleuprint is not long enough.
    Compare this: you have the airlock right behind the turbolifts, look at the outside of the bridge module, there is a lot of space between the turbolifts and the airlock.
    On this bleuprint and the ones on the LCARS database there is no room for that thingie on top with the navlight.

Now for your solution with the placement of the doors and the lifts in its original position, had not thought about that, creative:) but in the movie, you can see the turbolift.

You could also imagine that the turbolift comes up in its original position, and moves a few meters horizontal to get in the new position (think turbolifts can move vertical and horizontal).

3. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:)
    wjaspers I Drew that In 1999 All I had to go with were the Kimble blueprints and the Lawrence Miller Bridge drawings for the interior proportions, I figure that I did pretty good considering my source material. I would later get the Bridge Poster from ST 6. I used that poster as a basis for alot bridge varients. I wish I had some of the material that you fellows had to work with now. :) I just realised that that cad file is now 11 years old :) Back then when I watched the movies I thought I noticed that no stood
    waiting in the turbolift Like the old series they just walked
    in and out the door but its been a long time since I've watched some of those movies even though I own them.
    That Bridge became the main Bridge of the USS Malverne
    Fredrikstad Shuttle Carrier Blueprints which I drew up for that Starfleet Chapter back in the Nineties. :) It was a fantastic time to be drawing Trek.

Looking foward to seeing more of your outstanding work.
    Keep up the great work

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  4. ZStar

ZStar Ensign Red Shirt

wjaspers – It sounds like you should be working form solid interior dimensions if you were working from the actual set construction plans. I have never had access to those so all of my numbers are best guesses from other sources. Bernard’s plans are closer to the interior/exterior proportions I am familiar with. I agree that your interior lines up with your exterior “turbolift hatches” very well. But…if your interior is correct, I still think your exterior is too big. Let me run through some number and see what you and others think…

My best guess for the diameter of the handrail around the inner part of the bridge is 20’ (can you check that with the set plans? Can anyone else provide a better value?)

If the Polar Lights 1/350 bridge module is reasonably accurate (I assume it is accurate to +/-5%), I get a dome diameter of about 40’ where it hits the flatter housing over the floodlights.

If I use the 20’ handrail diameter to scale your exterior dome, I get a dome diameter of about 54’. That is about 35% larger than the PL bridge dome and implies an overall length for the Refit of somewhere between 1300’ and 1400’. That is much larger than the official length of 1000’

If anyone else has better numbers, please check my math.

5. CTM

CTM Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

FWIW I have the diameter of the docking ring on the rear of the bridge at approx 2m (I don't have the exact number handy, but IIRC it was 2.23 or something like that). Using that dimension, the interiors are a much tighter fit than wjasper's renders. While I would give my wisdom teeth to have the interior set plan details he has, as we already know the sets don't necessarily match up with the filming models. As I see it, the bridge interior dome fits with little room to spare inside the exterior dome. Furthermore, form follows function. The mini dome-tops seen on the bridge module are there for a reason they wouldn't just be there for decoration*. It is my position (and this ship will be built according to that position) that they are the tops of the turbo lifts at the bridge level. Others may see it differently, and in wjasper's case, he has clearly gone to the effort to model it so. I only wish I could render my models as effectively - perhaps in time, once I've completed actual model building I can start working on textures and rendering in a program suited for it.

*Yes, I am perfectly aware that in truth the extra bits on these models are actually there just for decoration, but that makes no sense "in universe", so I'm sticking with the premise. Certainly Mr. Probert put some thought into some of these sorts of things - even if he didn't narrow it down to the exact micrometer it would actually have to be (nor should he have - we're the sick obsessed fans who are complaining about the locations of rivets on ships that never really existed :lol: ).

6. wjaspers

OK, checked my references and my original TWOK bridge, seems I did scale it to fit the turbolifts. Sorry about that.
    The railing is as guessed 20' in diameter, as is the "pit" Chekow and Sulu are sitting in. The outher wall, that would be on the bottom, has a diameter of 35,5'. The ceiling height, that is where all those fancy lights are, is 7,65' heigh. The ceiling height of the bridge INTERIOR dome is 9,9'. The walls go up with a curve of 10,5'.

The dome of the Ent, with a lenght of 1000' has a diameter of 38.8'.

Now, if I put The correct TWOK bridge into the refit, then the bridge fits in very nice, but the turbolifts now are WAY OFF, and I'm afraid they might also fall outside the module. Don't have time right now, but if interested I will put up some pics of the result.

So I guess for CTM, it leaves him using only the TMP bridge in this case. Which is the toughest of them all. OR lower the TUC bridge into the C deck a bit so the turbolifts fall inside the dome. OR use the TUC bridge and put the center backwards toward the airlock.

Anyway, it seems the original builders did line up the center of dome and the center of the turbolifts, but then screwed the proportions. If you take the bridge with a diameter of 35,5' and then put the turbolifts where they are supposed to be from the outside seen, they fall well inside the bridge itself.

7. wjaspers

LOL, exactly :crazy:

8. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I forgot to mention that I also was working from Shane Johnsons Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise :techman:

Do you have access to Herman Zimmerman's Bridge Poster?
    it might help you:)

CTM Love what you are doing in AutoCad.

WJaspers What is the dia of the Turbolift shaft from the TMP Bridge Plans ?

Keep up the great work All.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  9. ZStar

ZStar Ensign Red Shirt

wjaspers - I'm glad this has been resolved. Your interior renders really do look fantastic.

CTM - I've been down the dark road of starting from some bad numbers in CAD-land and didn't want to see your hard work sidetracked. Keep up the good work!

Who is a "sick obsessed fan?" Oh... yeah, me! :lol: Maybe we just care enough to appear obsessive.

10. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

So whos wrong and whos right.
    Lets not be shy about our errors....I need a clear answer.

11. CTM

As always, I* am.

* for varying values of "I" :lol:

12. wjaspers

Varying values of "I", yes guess that's it.

Another interior which does not seem to fit.

Made two last pics for anyone interested:

First pic shows the TWOK bridge in the right scale, notice that now the turbolifts stick out the module, however with a little work and just a bit rescaling they could fit in I guess. But they will never correspond to the little domes on top of the module.

Second pic, a cilinder presenting where the turbolift would be if it would correspond to the outside.

Last pics I'm showing, showed too much allready in someone else his thread.

CTM, good luck with whatever you should decide how and which bridge to put in. Anyway you do it, you won't have any comments from me, difficult as it is. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Gagarin

Gagarin Commander Red Shirt

Mmm...while I can't put my finger on it...

say, could you like, start another thread and post your stuff there?

Between CLB being...gone, Shaw doing real work stuff or what not, there's not much else going on here!

14. CTM

I hate it when life gets in the way of love.

15. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

You can't have two loves...one is always jealous of the other.

16. CTM

Sometimes I do what I want to. The rest of the time I do what I HAVE to.
    It's not about two loves.

17. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Yes, sir.

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a pretty good look at this thread yesterday (although a lot of the tech speak is way above my head). This project is so cool!

We have the arboretum, gym, shuttle bay, cargo bay, main and impulse engineering, Rec-deck, transporter rooms, officer's lounge, galley/mess, sick bay, auxillary control, turbolifts, jeffries tubes, bridge, torpedeo room, airlocks, emergency bridge, emergency sick bay, and crew quarters.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what else that needs to be allocated? I can think of the computer room, auxillery computer room, computer core, back up computer core, communications, sensor analysis, astrometrics (although I suppose the latter two could be in two of the labs?), fresh water supply, and toilets. Anything else? Are there separate power control stations for shields and weapons located near the systems themselves?

It might be interesting to speculate on what the labs might be used for too. I noticed on the 430 crew thread that Enterprise has 14 labs. Perhaps we can postulate for what purpose they might be allocated? All I can think of is: Physics (x3), Botany, Astrobiology, Geology, Archaeology/Paleobiology, Zoology, Chemistry, & Medical Research. Any other suggestions?

Found these references on Memory Alpha - electromagnetic would be part of physics, biopsy would be part of medical, biochemistry could conceivably have it's own lab or might be part of astriobiology, electronics makes sense, although nuclear electronics is a bit too specific:

Geological lab ( TOS: "The Cage")
    Astrophysics lab
    Electromagnetic section (TOS: "The Apple")
    Bio and Medical labs (TOS: "Space Seed")
    Biopsy lab (TOS: "The Naked Time")
    Biochemistry lab (TOS: "This Side of Paradise")
    Chem lab (TOS: "Mirror, Mirror")
    Nuclear electronics lab (TOS: "Who Mourns for Adonais?")

Franz Joseph's Enterprise plans suggest these:

Deck 2: Science Laboratories – High Energy, Geology, Ion Study, Chemistry, Biology, Science Officer's Office, Physics [Upper Level]
    Deck 3: Science Laboratories – Botany, Communications, Special Studies, Cosmology, Physics [Lower Level]; Photon Torpedo Banks

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  19. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Should be stairs, and ladder areas, the more than half a dozen air lock hatches on the Saucer top side, Thruster clusters that are internal.

I'm always thinking utilities, like the Water reclamation and Sewage transport, Food Storage, The main Batteries should have a central location as well as cluster in each section of the ship..

20. Science Officer

Science Officer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt