Teaser a Slight to Kirk?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Franklin, Jan 18, 2008.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Bear in mind for the rest of the world it's "boston what?"

2. MicahBrack

MicahBrack Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's actually exactly what I thought when I first saw the teaser.

3. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

If Ambassador Spock is recanting the tales of the early days of Kirks command to Riker and Troi I'm gonna be seriously horked off...

AG

4. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I don't even know what Pine's voice sounds like! Can't wait to hear it, though!

But for the trailer, Nimoy was definitely the best choice for the voiceover.

We'll hear and see Pine as Kirk soon enough.

5. VOODOOXI

VOODOOXI Commander Red Shirt

The entire project to this point has been a slight to Kirk, Shatner + their fans.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a fan of both Kirk and Shatner and don't feel slighted, so please don't think you speak for us all.

7. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a bit melodramatic isn't it?

8. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

ditto.

9. CommanderRaytas

^^ I was about to say the same thing. I don't feel slighted at all.

10. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think it's a slight to Shatner or his fans but it does have me puzzled: why, in a trailer with other audio all at least 40 years old, couldn't they have used the original v.o. from the series? Instead, Nimoy comes on with this sepulchural version--hardly sounds optimistic to me. Sounds instead like drunk Uncle Lenny is about to croak.

(Since I see Shatner is fair game for how he has aged, I'm going to make a point of being as shallow and insulting about Nimoy from here on in, even though I'm fond of both of them. After all, if Will, who has fought a weight problem admirably for most of his career, can be mocked for being fat now that he's in his 70s, so too can Len for letting alcoholism ravage his looks to the point where he looks to be in his 80s rather than his 70s. Not fair? You're absolutely right: a person can live a long, happy, healthy life without ever touching a drink of alcohol. Try doing that with food.)

11. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The teaser is a slight to the entire human race! :devil:

Naw, I'm just kidding. Let's just keep our salami sticks in check. :borg:

12. monetteman

monetteman Lieutenant Junior Grade

The teaser is fine.
    Nimoy is fine
    This movie looks to be great.

13. CommanderRaytas

I don't get why just because people say stupid things about Shatner, it becomes necessary to insult Nimoy. Sorry, I just don't see the logic behind that (to use the magic word, but it's true).

And I agree with monetteman on all points. :)

And btw, I'd have alcohol over food any day. Must be a matter of perspective. :lol:

Cheers!

On a more serious note, I don't think that Shatner's being a bit chubby has anything to do with him not being in this movie.

14. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Actually, upon reading this thread, I wished they could've gotten a good ... really good ... impressionist (no, not an Impressionist!) to record those words in Kennedy's voice. I mean, if they insist on entwining the new film with our contemporary history and space program, what would be more appropriate than hearing JFK throwing down the challenge?

<outdoor speech>"And we commit the resources of this nation - of humanity - to the exploraton of space ... the final frontier ..."</outdoor speech>

15. Number One

Number One Commodore Commodore

Simple, Spock is the only familiar face from old Trek participating, they had to give fans something recognizable except for the picture.
    Not to mention Nimoy delivered the lines before as we know, and to my knowledge so far, his role in the movie is the most important.

It seems like this might be an event were he'd be the storyteller for the movie(not exactly the narrator since he actively participates)and the axis around which it revolves.

Let's not make it a Shatner vs Nimoy or Kirk vs Spock thing and spoil it before it begins. I think a lot of the magic in the movies is lost before they're actually seen cause as fans we tend to overspeculate on every little tidbit.

always wears me out when I see that.

16. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It'd be confusing in so many ways. For one thing, the uneducated would assume that Star Trek took its iconic phrase from a Kennedy speech, and the educated wouldn't really see the point in putting words in his mouth.

But you know what would have been cool? If they had Bruce Greenwood record Kennedy's line. :devil: ;)

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Over at www.trekmovie.com, Orci has responded to the question of Pine doing the "...final frontier" line by saying that it would have been presumptious to have done that before Pine has "proven himself" to the audience.

18. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^Fair enough. I'm personally pleased that it was Nimoy saying it.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

You think the rest of the world is ignorant of US legal shows? :confused:

20. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pointing out shallow hypocrisy on the part of the Shat bashers by illustrating a double standard is most logical. And, cute as your little aside regarding food and booze may seem, it obviously is not true since you have not died.