Star Trek: The Exhibition at The Franklin

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by franklinphilly, Feb 23, 2009.

?

Are you interested in attending this exhibition in Philadelphia?

1. Yes, I can't wait!!!

68.8%
  2. No, I can't make it.

31.3%
  1. franklinphilly

franklinphilly Cadet Newbie

Hello!

I wanted to let you know that Star Trek: The Exhibition is coming soon to The Franklin! It will be in Philadelphia from May 16 – September 20. Let us know if your group is interested in getting involved with the exhibition and opening weekend events!

STAR TREK: The Exhibition transports visitors into parallel universes of the future and past. Featuring 200 authentic objects from the groundbreaking television and motion picture series, the Exhibition allows visitors to connect with iconic Star Trek moments and characters while celebrating the creative spirit of science fiction that gave rise to many of today's modern marvels.

This unprecedented exhibition features the world’s most comprehensive collection of authentic Star Trek ships, sets, costumes and props from all 5 series and 10 films over the last 40+ years.

It will give the public the opportunity to step inside the Star Trek world and become active participants in the legacy that has captured the imagination of generations.

From the chance to sit on a spaceship bridge from the original TV series to traveling through space on motion simulators, STAR TREK: The Exhibition offers the entire family the opportunity to be fully immersed in the action.

promotions@fi.edu

2. Astraea

Astraea Commander Red Shirt

I just saw this; it's at the Detroit Science Center right now! It was pretty nifty; I'd say it was well worth seeing.

Before the exhibit itself, there was a flight simulator of some sort. Unfortunately, due to medical restrictions, I couldn't do it, so I can't tell you anything. From there, it was a short ride in a cargo elevator to the DSC's special exhibit area (they had this lit up with blacklight and projected images of various ships onto the interior, but I'm not sure if this is going to be standard.)

The walkthrough tour: it started off with some uniforms from TOS and ENT, as well as some matte paintings. I t went from there into the TOS bridge re-creation, then to a corridor of the Enterprise-D and Picard's ready room (the ready room was cordoned off, so no sitting behind Picard's desk - there are also some uniforms on display here), then through a transporter room. There were some TNG costumes in the transporter room, along with some Trek tech. The transporter room led into a room with the Guardian of Forever, a big Borg ship model, and lots of DS9 and VOY costumes, along with random costumes and props. That then led into a room with a lot of ship models (a Constellation-class model, a Vor'cha cruiser, the Enterprise-D, the Xhosa, and a couple others) and a timeline of Trek chronologically (ENT-->TOS-->etc), except that the new Star Trek movie is displayed at the end, after NEM, and doesn't feature any stills from the movie - so no shots of Quinto, Pine, et al., just a black screen with a "to be continued..." sort of thing. There's a timeline (although the selection of events is a little odd - for example, okay, so the breaking of the Warp 10 barrier might be historically significant, but does anyone really want to be reminded of Threshold?)

Things that stuck in my head:

There are some neat props here. In Picard's ready room alone, they've got his Ressikan flute, a Troi-Riker wedding picture, a horga'hn, a bottle of Chateau Picard. They also had the TNG captain's chair, but that was also cordoned off.

Major Kira's combadge was stuck on her uniform upside down. Hopefully they'll fix that.

There have been some crazily skinny women on Star Trek. Seven of Nine and Kes's uniforms in particular were insanely small.

There were some random costumes: Guinan, Kai Opaka, a Dabo girl.

It was mildly strange to have a TOS Klingon uniform with a model Klingon head (modern-era) at the uniform's feet.

The Borg model is frackin' awesome. It's so detailed!

You can get your picture taken on the transporter or on the TOS bridge. I didn't, but I know they were selling the pictures at the end to buy.

The audio tour was all right, better for commentary on the technical aspects of things (like matte paintings, models, etc.) than for commentary on the characters; it's great for people you drag along with you who don't know as much about Trek.

3. phrog

phrog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Planning on making the trip out to Detroit in April to see it! Do you remember the pricing on the pictures, the audio tour, etc. Basically, trying to figure out what the "extras" are going to run me.

4. Astraea

Astraea Commander Red Shirt

I didn't get pricing on the pictures, because I'm not a TOS fan and getting my picture done on the TOS bridge didn't appeal. They don't allow outside photography within the exhibit, sadly.

But tickets were $18.95 apiece (for adults - $14.95 for kids), and the audio tour was $6 for a headset. The headsets are available just before they take your ticket, before you get into the area with the flight simulator (i.e. if you take the elevator up, you've already missed your chance to buy the audio tour.) I know a couple people in the exhibit were complaining about that.

There wasn't much in the gift shop to purchase, so that shouldn't be any additional cost. (Oddly enough, they had Destiny books 2 and 3, but not 1.)

Hope that helps.

5. aaon80

aaon80 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just got back from Detroit (I'll post a review later), just letting you know the photos are $11 each.

6. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

We attended the Exhibition in San Diego last summer. As a TOS fan, the chance to get a pic on the Enterprise bridge was sweet :)

(The folks running that part of the exhibit were also very cool about photography, just so long as it didn't hold up the next group waiting to come in, etc. I was able to get a close-up shot of me in the chair, and my friend and I working at different consoles, etc.)

We're going to be in Baltimore for a convention in July, and are seriously thinking of going to the Philly exhibit while we're there.

7. KirkPicard

KirkPicard Captain Captain

I plan on attending opening weekend! May 8th, Star Trek movie then the next weekend Trek exhibit in my hometown at the Franklin Institute! 2 more months to go...

8. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Oh this is news to me. I'm only 2 hours away. I will definately make the trip. Thanks

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I haven't been to the Franklin Institute in awhile, but this could be interesting.

10. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Woo! Yippy! :)

I thought for sure I'd have to wait a year or so until it came to Philly. :)