"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm serious. When talking about a movie where the main character has to rebuild himself from the ground up and rethink his priorities in order to defeat his enemy, a scene in which a technological gizmo gives him an advantage over the villain would make no sense. The movie is about people more than it is about technology. Does it make more sense now?

3. JarodRussell

"I can't beat him physically, I have to outsmart him and enhance my suit" wouldn't have worked?

The entire Dark Knight trilogy consists of technological gizmos that give him an advantage over the villain.

4. The Mirrorball Man

No, seriously, as it is, the movie is basically Rocky III: Bruce is defeated by the new champion, has to find the eye of the tiger again then comes back and win. What you're describing, whether it would have worked or not, is a completely different movie, one that doesn't sound quite as interesting to me, to be honest. It's more of an Iron Man plot, isn't it?

5. JarodRussell

It's Batman. He also didn't carry the nuke out of Gotham on his back, he used his Batplane. Beating a villain with gadgets is Batman. Having the humility to recognize that he can't physically beat that guy and has to rely on technology instead wouldn't have turned it into a different film.

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a bit weird that they 'forgot' about the knee brace. A 2 second shot in the prison of his stretching his knee out with a 'cool, that's better too' look on Bruce's face would have been all that was needed.

As for the suggestion that Bats should've upgraded his suit, I would have liked to see that the other way round where Batman uses all his toys against Bane but gets beat and then just uses his fists at the end. I thought they were going that way when he uses those little flash things in the sewer fight, but it didn't really go any further.

7. The Mirrorball Man

Yes, it would have, since Batman's whole arc in this movie is that he has to let go of his death wish in order to defeat Bane. Before that happens, he's brutally defeated, and after that, he wins the day, saves everyone and finally moves on with his life. That's what the movie's about.

"Batman defeats Bane using gadgets" is a different movie, one that I personally feel is considerably less interesting. You may have a different opinion about that, but when all is said and done it's still a different movie.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But the trilogy is about Bruce Wayne's journey, and she really wasn't a part of that story.

9. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

There were far to many characters in this story that didnt help Waynes journey. Blake and Foley among them.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

But did Batman even actually defeat Bane? It took Selena on the gimmicky Batpod shooting Bane with a cannon to finally put him down.

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He totally had him beat. It was only when Talia turned up that it went to shit.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  12. The Mirrorball Man

The difference is academic. In the end, there was a Batman and there was no Bane.

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Talia had not interfered Bane would have been toast. Batman had him beat.

14. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blake is integral to Bruce's choice to fake his own death at the end of the movie. From the start, Bruce has known that he can't be Batman for ever and with the appearance of Blake, Bruce now has the heir he needs to fully move on.

Without Blake, Bruce either dies at the end or survives and continues as Batman.

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Ah! Then it was okay to have defeated him with a gadget. Actually, for someone ELSE to have defeated him with a gadget, while Batman lay on the floor.

16. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Selina Kyle is as essential to Bruce Wayne's journey as Robin. Dropping whozis from Kyle's life without a thought is something like not bothering to explain why Blake was hanging around an orphanage.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

If Catwoman hadn't interfered there'd be no Bruce, no Bane, no Talia and no Gotham.

18. The Mirrorball Man

To be perfectly honest, every time I see Anne Hathaway in tight leather, my critical mind seems to disappear, so I must admit that it may not be as thematically sound as I pretended that it was.

19. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah.
    I was thinking more in terms of if Batman had Bane in a one on one combat at that point, disregarding everything else.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, it's easy to see the movie going your way when you ignore aspects of it.

If Bruce had beaten Bane in the sewer we would have had no problems with Bane, Bruice's back, or the bomb. Problem solved!