For the 50th anniversery

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Dale Sams, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    Hm. Never watched it, barely heard of it, know nothing about it, so normally I'd say go screw, but....well, I'm tired, & someone already invaded the Crimea again, which killed my plans for tonight, so....yeah, fuck it. We're in business.

2. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

...stay with me with here, please...

Cameron gets $1B to come up with a Trek that encompasses as many REASONABLE iterations of Trek as he can bring together in One Big Story Line...all of them from TOS to TAS (on the rec room TV screen, for example) to VOY to DS9 to the Movies and beyond...

Wait, wait, wait!!!...hear me out...

The Money comes from a combination of "Us" fans Crowdfunding, potential stars deferring salary for percentage, studio(s) same, and merchandising money down epic...

Of course we could not have main stars like "Bones" ("...dammit, Jim...I'm dead!...) as main characters for a lot of screen time, but combine what they did in DS 9 "Trial and Tribbles-ations" with what Cameron and the technology today is capable of, and just about all of the stars, dead, alive too old, or borderline, can have their moment...

...the best part, to me, is the Crowdfunding could give us some participation, if not an eeentsie bit of story control/direction, and the money would be there to carry it off...

...feasible?...I want it to be...
    ...doable?....I have no doubt
    ...visionary?...of course!
    ...delusional?

...ok, let me have it!!!!!...thanks for "listening"...!

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yup. Delusional. But your post -- maybe even the whole thread -- was worth reading for this:

:rommie::bolian:

4. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

If you're gonna do it, do it right, I always say:

[​IMG]

[LEFT]Long ago, I'd actually built a WAV file of him saying that. Alas.
    [/LEFT]

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's like a 21st century extension of the Trek fanzines that were huge in the 70's and 80's... although none of them had Kickstarter funding which is probably a whole can of iffy legal worms.

Anyway, while we're on this, I think Of Gods and Men counts as close to a TOS reunion movie as anyone's ever gonna get.
    [YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFqAME7dx58[/YT]
    It's no masterpiece, but I was grinning ear-to-ear to see Chekov and Uhura back in uniform.

6. HIjol

"Delusional" was kinda the reaction I was thinking I would get, but By Grabthar's Hammer, if we do not dream big...?!?!?!?!

...but a sincere thanks for the feedback, and nice choice on the Avatar...one of the, perhaps, lesser known characters in ALL of Trekdom, but certainly one of the most complex, troubled and unique...

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You're breaking my heart, you know that? (Say the guy who wrote half of the 4400 novels . . ..)

8. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

A) I pretty much stopped watching television 10 years ago. Anything I've seen since then has been downloaded, & most of that has been old things or movies. B) My research shows the subject to be something I find completely non-compelling or interesting. "OOOooOOO SPOOOKY!" FEH.

Now, if you'd said you wrote books based on Now And Again...WELL.

9. HIjol

10. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

I like the idea of a week long miniseries that crosses over the various eras. There was video game that did a pretty good job of this called ST: Legacy IIRC.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Were you planning on visiting the Crimea?

:)

12. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At worst it would be harmless. Nothing wrong with celebrating the past.

And yet the movie reimaginging is probably too big a deal to let anyone do small TV movies.

Realistically you could just about get away with an Excelsior TV movie. Perhaps Sulu's swansong. And maybe a Titan TV movie. Wouldn't need whole cast reunions then, or have to recreate too many established sets. I don't think you could capture DS9 in one special and keep it affordable, or get the Voyager gang together again. There was a 5th series?

13. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed, it could be like this giant sack full of awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJHANrzMSlk

14. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Aside from the inherent logistical and financial hurdles, I think that this is an idea that sounds and looks better in the mind's eye than in actual execution. Would the one-off special consideration anniversary tag leave these projects invulnerable to internecine combat regarding plot, technical excellence, and the inevitable inclusion/overload of the nostalgia/schmaltz tripe, er uh, trope(s)?

NO, NO, and NO. Writ large under the BIG 50 Banner and the incipient pressure that would imply, I would imagine that the baying, carping, and crying after the fact would make the consternation expressed before, during, and after production of any single stand alone theatrical feature, say Abrams I, look merely like the unpleasantness at the end of one of the Caretaker's hoedowns!

Besides which, how would whatever self-congratulatory huzzahs that might result, help in making any material progress towards the real brass ring, a new legitimate series, broadcast or otherwise??

15. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Huh?

:)

16. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How exactly may I be of service in translating my gibberish?

17. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

No, invading it. After annexing the Sudetenland, of course.