Female Doctor Poll!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by bryce, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Would you be okay with a female Doctor?

1. I am okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's gender could be Wibbley-Wobbly!)

56.1%
  2. I would not be okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's maleness is a Fixed Point!)

32.5%
  3. I don't really have any strong feelings either way. (Fish-fingers and Custard!)

11.4%
  1. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So long as The Doctor is still British and can convince me that there's a 1000-year-old personality behind those eyes, I really don't care who plays the part. Man, woman, rabbit, makes very little difference.

2. Leonardo T. Dragon

Leonardo T. Dragon Commander Red Shirt

Yep, that sums it up exactly.

It would be a gimmick, plain and simple. Time Lords and Time Ladies have a fixed gender, period.

3. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

*cough* The Corsair *cough*

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I certainly wouldn't mind if the next Doctor was female, although I'd be more interested in seeing a black Doctor or some other ethnicity first.

In fact going in either of those directions would probably be the smartest move now, since it would be hard to find another young white actor who could possibly top what Matt Smith did.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

If it's a female doctor, she won't have a pole.

Sorry, just ran in when I saw the thread title. Hope the lame joke hasn't already been made.

6. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A female doctor would be a travesty. I don't know why there's always this big thing about a female doctor. It never happens.

I'm also shocked to see the vast majority of people would be okay with it. I think it would be awful. It would be cheap and tacky. If they had a female doctor, I'd strongly contemplate not watching the show. I'd probably make my own fan fiction canon where the Doctor regenerated into Idris Elba or Damien Molony as a way of coping.

7. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

A travesty?

Why would it be cheap?
    Why would it be tacky?

8. davejames

The Doctor's never been a particularly masculine or "manly" character to begin with, so I don't really see how giving him boobs would make much of a difference.

It would still be essentially the same personality and same character we'd be watching.

9. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It really doesn't matter how 'masculine' The Doctor is or isn't. There are no character traits that cannot be portrayed by a capable actor of either gender. Hell, Starbuck was way more 'manly' than Apollo and that didn't hurt the believability of her character one iota.

10. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I'd be eager to see how they would pull it off. But with the right story and actress, it could work out extremely well. It could also crash burn quicker than the Hindenburg.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not my preference but I'd be totally ok with it.

12. davejames

Practically speaking though, I have a feeling the BBC will want to keep the male/female balance the same between the Doctor and Companion.

As long as they've got Coleman in there, they probably won't see much need to make the Doctor female as well, since they've already got that demographic covered.

13. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, a travesty,

Because knowing the BBC, they'd do some pretty awful and tacky things. Just look at the Rani. Quite possibly the worst villain in all of doctor who history. I can only see the BBC doing something like that. And Janeway from Star Trek. Awful. I have a nasty feeling that if they had a female doctor, they'd gofor something similar to that.
    Well exactly. I don't want a female dominated cast. Now I wouldn't want a male dominated cast either, but I still want the doctor to stay male. The male doctor and a female companion is a successful formula that's lasted 50 years. Why ruin perfection? Besides, I can't think of any female that would pull it off right. And what would she wear? A long dress? Or would we get a tom boy in a olive green tank top with question marks on a jacket?

14. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Women are regular human beings, they have more than one or two personalities and more than two ways to dress. The male Doctors to date have covererd a wide range of personalities and fashion styles. The writers and the producer would have a range in terms of personality and costume to choose from as broad as with a male actor. Hell, as far as costumes go, they'd even have more choices because a female Doctor can wear skirts and dresses without looking funny to Western eyes. (Jon Pertwee doesn't count. ;))

15. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FANTASTIC!!! And THANKS!!!

16. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

The sexism is strong in this one.

There are a lot of women who would make a great Doctor, no matter what they'd wear (I'd prefer a Victorian dress).

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

The fact that DalekJim and Green Lantern actually agree on something has me worried.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I think we're OK as long as The River doesn't run red :eek:

19. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think I deserve to be really irritated or annoyed. While I won't stop watching the show if they make the Doctor a woman sometime in the future, I really wish they wouldn't. I think "Grandfather" should always remain, well, male.

I don't have a problem with the Doctor being of any ethnicity. That's all just pigment, after all. Just leave the gender bending to the Trills.

Not that this is a deal breaker or anything.

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

So she can trip and fall and die in her first adventure?

Come now, Riding gear at least. Something like This or That.