NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring.

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Now you're being ridiculous.

Yeah, a QB can fluke into a Super Bowl or even a ring on occasion, but that sort of consistent winning, especially in the play-offs is quite exceptional imo. Getting the job done matters.

eta: Flacco has already won as many postseason games in 5 years as Peyton fucking Manning in 15 years...
    (no, I'm not saying Flacco is better, but results count)

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think you're miss-interpreting my words. If you were watching, you probably noticed quite a few receivers miss very catchable throws as well. My point was that it took great physical talent to throw those completions. A QB with weaker arm strength would not have been able to complete them.

4. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Flacco's good, no doubt. I'd put him one rung down from the best of the best, but definitely top 10. He clearly outplayed Brady yesterday.

5. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Can't wait for 14 days of bloviating about Ray Lewis's leadership which pretty much consists of ranting and raving like a lunatic and doing a stupid dance. That man loves the spotlight. Would have much rather seen Tony Gonzalez go out with a ring. He is every bit the leader that Lewis is.

Going to be interesting watching the Ravens who are a little long in the tooth try to stop the read option. The AFC hasn't seen a whole lot of it this year while the NFC seems to be turning to it. The Ravens have faced the read option twice this year and lost. (Philadelphia and Washington) I think Kaepernick is going to be a nightmare for them.

6. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice comebacks by both the Niners and the Ravens. Should be a good Super Bowl. I'm not looking forward to either the Harbaugh hype or the Ray Lewis hype, but just about every recent Super Bowl has had some angle that's played up in the media.

I'll be rooting for Baltimore. I forgot that I had drawn the team on a bar board back in August. Now it's all about the money for me.

7. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, for the most part. One thing that should be added is that the Atlanta Falcons existed for many years prior to acquiring the great Tony Gonzalez (maybe the best TE ever to play in the NFL), whereas there has never been a Baltimore Ravens team without Ray Lewis. That does make a difference in terms of how much will be made of Lewis's impact as a team leader.

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Shannon Sharpe, Mike Ditka and possibly John Mackey (for how he revolutionized the position) have to be in this discussion, as well.

9. tighr

Tom Brady is such an epic piece of shit. He has declined his invitation to the Pro Bowl for the sixth consecutive nomination (he's been invited to eight, and only attended his first two). Each time he's declined, it's been because of "injury". I'm sure a few of those times were legit, I think I remember something about a foot a few years back, but six?

For once, it would be nice as a fan to see Peyton and Brady playing with the same arsenal. That is the whole point of the game, isn't it?

10. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Pro Bowl is a huge joke. I can't really blame him for not going... all it is is a free trip to Hawaii (fortunately, he probably has enough money to go on his own), and why risk getting seriously hurt on something stupid like that? While the risk may be relatively small, do you really want to risk an accidental bad hit or a freak injury on something like that? With the exception of veterans wanting to knock the occassional cocky rookie down a few pegs, nobody bothers actually playing. I wouldn't be heartbroken if none of the big names in the league decided to take a pass on the Pro Bowl - I'm sure we wouldn't be missing anything anyways.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Use of Time

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Patriots make it real easy to hate them. There isn't one situation that they can't somehow turn into a "we're too good for that" scenario. Its Bellicheck avoiding post game interviews or Brady skipping the pro bowl. I don't think those things are all that significant but they are typical of the Patriots.

13. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Key word was "maybe." ;) I would definitely include all three. Sharpe was a favorite of mine growing up.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Worth a read: Ray Lewis: Critics Who Bring up Controversial Past Need to Get Facts Straight

15. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The fines that came out of this weekend are amusing. Frank Gore didn't pull his socks up high enough and got a $10,500 fine. Meanwhile, Brady only got $10,000 for trying to bury his cleats in Ed Reed's leg/junk/whatever.

16. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, even if he was totally innocent of any wrongdoing in that incident he's still an insufferable tool . The endless "God is Great" crap is just too much. Between Jim Harbuagh and Ray Lewis, sadly one of those tantrum throwing babies is going to be a champion this year.

Depressing :(

17. tighr

At least Brady got fined. $10,000 is probably an acceptable amount for a first offense, especially from a league which has placed a tremendous amount of emphasis on player safety (including an NFL commercial featuring TOM BRADY specifically addressing player safety. Ironically for Tom, it's also one featuring little Ray Lewis).

I'm just going to ignore the sock thing, that just makes no sense.

18. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

10K is ok, but despite really disliking the Patriots I have to admit that I really don't think Brady meant to hurt Reed. It was just an awkward way of protecting himself.

19. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wasn't aware that God is crap. Perhaps you would have preferred Lewis to be a devil worshiper. :confused:

20. Use of Time

I'm aware of the story but none of that changes the fact that the other guy lost his life and Ray Lewis helped cover it up while at the same time ratting out his own friends in order to save his career.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.