DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^Jump in with Aquaman, Demon Knights, Wonder Woman, Animal Man, & Swamp Thing, if you dont want to feel lost. These would be my top tier. Overall though with the exception of the Batman and Green Lantern titles which carry over stories to an extent most of the Nu52 are pretty "new" reader friendly.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm also currently reading Icemizer's list except for WW so I'll seconded that.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I would also say Action Comics as well. I think Morrison's run has been great fun. It's starts at a jumping on point as well. But I think pretty much that's true of all of them if you are basically familiar with the character.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Catwoman and Supergirl this week. Before pretty good, though I think I'm beginning to find Supergirl's costume more and more ridiculous as time goes on.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The article does point out that the work is in progress, so that's not the final depiction, just most likely a concept. I second Wonder Woman. Like "Aquaman" and possibly "Batman" it's been the most consistently great New 52 book out right now (at least that I'm reading).

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Action Comics
    Batman
    Wonder Woman

Basically these three books reintroduce the Big 3: Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman in the new universe.

7. Admiral_Young

Just finished Wonder Woman #12...I am running out of words to express just how awesome this book is. That ending...oh man. Azzy has hit a grand slam with this book. I think it's over taken "Action Comics" and "Batman" as my favourite New 52 book I'm still reading.

8. Professor Zoom

Yeah, I think Wonder Woman is the best of the nu52, makes the whole thing worth it. Like it's Vertigo good with a solid foot in the DCU. It's smart, creative, exciting, surprising. It's a great urban fantasy book.

9. Admiral_Young

^ I think you describe it perfectly. It has that Vertigo feel to it. I did not see that ending coming at all. I'm really looking forward to the zero issue next month. If I had one complaint about the book, and it's kind of a minor one for me, is that I'd like to see Diana interact back in Man's World again. We've not seen Steve and her together in the present time in her book (of course we have in Justice League and we know they're together but it'd be nice for her to return to New York (I even forget where she was at the start of the book now LOL). Otherwise this just is sensational.

10. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  11. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is anyone else reading the Batman Beyond Unlimited series? I happen to be really enjoying it, especially as it continues the storyline and character arcs from the DC Animated universe, not only Terry McGinnis but the JLU as well.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

JLU is alright in that it references not only DCAU, but also some of Nguyen's previous work like the Batman and Bekka story.

13. Admiral_Young

I just thought of something...if Azzarello is only just introducing the New Gods now in "Wonder Woman"...what does this mean regarding the opening arc of "Justice League" five years in the past where we saw the team confront and learn of Darkseid? Is this already a contradiction in continuity? Or is this something else entirely? Any thoughts? I can't be the only one who's thought about this since the big reveal.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just because they know a little about Apocalips, it doesn't mean that they know a lot about New Genesis.

15. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, as much as I love the new Wonder Woman, none of us saw the cliffhanger because it's completely unearned: you can fool everyone if you just don't set the swerve up at all. It is a great book, so steeped in WW lore.

Best line of the month, as always from Demon Knights; Vandal Savage: "Unacceptable! I will not die so a woman with no face can gain different genitalia!"

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  16. Professor Zoom

I hadn't thought about it, to be honest. Sort of forgotten the first Justice League arc.

17. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Learning about Darkseid in no way implys learning about the New Gods I mean they were a little busy to do research into the subject at the time.For all we know the New Gods may have been beaten by Darkseid and are only now returning, or they may have lost their boom tube tech and couldnt travel between dimensions to lend us a hand five years ago. Or they may have been busy doing something else, who knows.
    So, no, no contradiction in this whatsoever.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  18. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Or Final Crisis/Countdown to Final Crisis happened in some form after all.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

20. Admiral_Young

Yeah that was pretty much only my experience with him. "Shadowland" has been reviled by most fans. I like how Rich talks about the "origin" of this story though LOL. He could be interesting, but he could be also talking about something else...who knows at this point.