Alternate movie era starfleet uniforms

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ian Keldon, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I don't know if this is truly fan art, but I was playing around with a pic of a set of "monster maroons" and got these using the hue controls in PdN:

[​IMG]

They would have looked pretty good on-screen I think...

And yes, I know I didn't quite get every pixel fixed around the edges...I ran up on the limits of resolution and my patience as it was down to 1-2 pixels at a time at that point...

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

they look good to me :)

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe in darker hues.

4. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

They look pretty pastille coloured for uniforms. I think I prefer the on-screen versions.

5. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Dang it! I keep forgetting my monitor is a shade darker than most...I'll try to fix the image.

Try this:

[​IMG]

6. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Gonna have to tinker a bit...

7. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

I've thought about that too.
    Here's a simple recolor I did on Corel, back in 2004, when I first joined this site.
    [​IMG]
    Personally, I liked the TMP uniforms, because they were less military looking, plus the TWoK-pre TNG just looked uncomfortable.

What I wold have done for TMP/Phase 2 (though I think the uniforms looked fine as they did) would color code the uniforms like in TOS, and make variations like in TOS, like having both a skirt and a pants type uniform for the girls, as I played with the idea here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dunno if anyone else would agree with me on that, but that's my take on it. :)

8. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Ok, I think I'm as close to done as I care to get with this project...it was just an experiment anyways, so here:

[​IMG]

Oh, and nice work Castellan

9. Kaiser

Cool stuff in this thread :)

10. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

When you want to select a whole color area in PdN, use the Magic Wand tool and play with the Tolerance slider. When you get what you want, change Selection Mode to "Add" and click on multiple areas. Copy/paste to a new layer. Make your color adjustments and then apply a slight Feather effect - that will blur the edges of the selected area while keeping the rest of it intact. The blur will help it re-blend with the background a little better.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  11. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Glad ya like 'em, Ian.

12. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Thanks for the tips...I was already using the wand, but that's a new trick for me.

Part of the problem was relatively low resolution such that there was significant pixelization problems to overcome.

BTW: how do you "feather"?

Here's my applying as much of that tip as I could:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  13. Kaiser

Awesome :) :techman:

14. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I agree. I'd like to see what a Navy Blue would look like. I'd also like to see a Midnight Blue.

15. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Navy (or at least darker) and Midnight blue

[​IMG]
    if I went with the navy, then I'd go back to the darker maroon color for ops officers

[​IMG]

16. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Effects>Object or Effects>Selection. I don't remember if PdN has this native as I've installed a few of the free tools plug-ins developed by members of PdNs forums. Hit the Help menu, register/login and hit the Plugins - Publishing ONLY! forum. The most popular and useful ones are pinned to the top - look for the ones by pyrochild and BoltBait for the most useful tools. There's also a few CircleText ones available - those are good for making primary hull registries.

17. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I like art threads that offer mild revisionism of existing "prime Universe" concepts.

If I were to engage in such revisionism, I would go with the outer tunic being Navy Blue as standard-issue for Starfleet. Division colors would be shown through the color of the turtleneck and the rank boards on the tunic. Something would have to be done to change the look of the waist belt. It always looked cheesy to me; both the belt itself and the buckle. I would replace the buckle with the UFP seal and try something different for the belt.

That's just me.

18. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Great idea - maybe that's why they already did that in the films.

[​IMG]

19. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I liked the Jack Crusher variation from the episode "Family" [TNG], that was sans belt. It was also sans undershirt, which seems less comfortable to me, but maybe not. I've never worn a suit made of 24th Century fabric...

--Alex

20. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Someone in an old thread posted a "post-movie/pre-TNG" uniform that I thought looked really good, so I promptly did it up in the three colors :bolian:

[​IMG]