The racist legacy of Star Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Afrika Bambaata, Jun 4, 2014.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks all; this thread has been good for a few laughs during a slow morning at work.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do have a lot of respect for the real Afrika Bambaataa. Mostly because of all he's done for hip-hop and music in general and helping kids stay out of gangs...but also because "Planet Rock" sampled from at least two songs by Kraftwerk. :)

3. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

...Could not agree more with the desire of many here to want a spirited, informed, give-and-take discussion on this Board, and within this Thread...too bad we are doing such a good job with each other, and there is nary a sign of the OP... :(

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

The OP seems the racist one to me. One should learn to be colour blind when it comes to Star Trek.

To quote Kyle Broflovski in the s4 South Park episode Chef Goes Nanners "but the colour of a person's skin doesn't matter."

5. AustNerevar

AustNerevar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agreed. :borg:

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The OP wasn't being serious or earnest, hence it did not receive a serious response for the most part and why he or she didn't return to argue the premise of the thread. We've had countless serious discussions about race/gender/ethnicity/religion/sexuality and Star Trek on this board before, so just because one is dismissed as the obvious gag that it is doesn't mean people don't treat those issues seriously and with respect under the right circumstances.

I know this wasn't your intent, and that you meant it positively as in everyone should be treated equally (and we should strive for that), so forgive me for using your post as a starting point, but while it makes a nice soundbite, being "color blind" doesn't actually solve anything or address the very real problem of racial inequality we face in the world today. It sweeps uncomfortable issues under the rug by pretending that race (artificial construct though it is) is not a major or even the dominant factor in the continuing interpersonal and institutional inequality and injustice faced by minorities around the world.

7. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

You did a great job paraphrasing Hooper-X by putting it into a satirical Star Trek context ("skinhead" :rofl:), but I felt the urge to share Kevin Smith's little masterpiece with everyone who hasn't seen it yet.

The problem was that we had seen Andrew Probert’s original design for the Enterprise-C for four seasons as a golden sculpture in the conference lounge aboard the Enterprise-D but the different Rick Sternbach Enterprise-C as the actual VFX model in “Yesterday’s Enterprise”.

Being fed up with claims that only the Sternbach “C” is canon, I investigated the issue trying to prove that both are / can be canon, assuming that events in “Yesterday’s Enterprise” did not just take place in a changed timeline of our universe but instead a “parallel universe” (director David Carson!). Near the end of both threads, I was able to present Guinan’s and Sela’s statements from “Redemption II”, allowing indeed the conclusion of a parallel universe because their accounts did not match what had actually happened in “Yesterday’s Enterprise”.

Very early on it was obvious that my proposal had characteristics of a heresy, just by looking at the various comments of those who rejected the mere idea. It even got the point where the opposers actually had the audacity to ask the moderators to close the thread!

Why the TNG thread was closed is still beyond me. It had finally calmed down to the point where a decent and fair discussion had become possible.
    The Fan Art thread (because a CGI video of Probert’s “C” had just popped up at the same time) was probably closed because it got off-topic (discussing Star Trek time travel scenarios) and some of the opposers got themselves into a fight.

To cut a long story short: While I would think that Star Trek fans in general are tolerant and open-minded, I think it’s fair to say that what transpired in those two threads suggests rather differently.

Back to the original topic of this thread I’d like to add this: Just because someone thinks to be a fan of Star Trek doesn’t automatically make him or her a tolerant and open-minded person. :rolleyes:

Bob

8. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Regarding the failure of the OP to return to the thread, keep in mind that the thread is less than 24 hours old. That being said, it does have the appearance of a hit-and-run, simply because it's the only post from the member and it's phrased in such an antagonistic manner.

Everyone should remember, however, that this isn't TNZ, and we can't take potshots at other posters. I'm not calling anyone out, I'm just saying that "a word to the wise is sufficient". ;)

9. Locutus of Bored

That's fine. I just thought the roll-eyes after my name in your previous post meant that you didn't like that I used the parody in this instance. My apologies if that wasn't the case. :)

10. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Huh?? :wtf: C-3PO talked and acted like a fussy English butler. You must be thinking of a different robot.

11. AustNerevar

I don't think he meant it that way. He meant that you should be color-blind when dealing with anyone. You shouldn't factor in race at all when you speak to, do business with, or employ someone. I don't think he meant that you should ignore how races are treated in various parts of the world.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

That's harder than you think.

13. Locutus of Bored

Read my first sentence again.

14. AustNerevar

It's satire. OP wasn't serious. Or doesn't genuinely believe his claims.

I saw this, but thought you just meant that said that without thinking about it. I could say what he said meaning it the way you explained, but not have thought it fully through and noticing the racist slant.

I was implying that the poster had an entirely different meaning entirely.

I hope that makes some sense. My words are kind of convoluted, here.

15. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Nichelle's MLK story is like the prize fish someone claims they caught but you never see -- it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

16. AustNerevar

The first time I heard it, I thought the same thing. It very well could be false, but since I don't have any reason to believe that she's a serial liar, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, though I won't defend this story vehemently.

A shame we can't ask him ourselves :/

17. Mr. Laser Beam

And the bridge isn't even oriented directly forward anyway. It's rotated a bit off the center line.

As for Terrell's death: It's required for at least two reasons: 1) Terrell has a legitimate reason to die - he sacrifices his life (he had to have known that the Ceti eel would kill him) rather than be ordered to kill Kirk. And 2) he's a guest; of course the guest captain, regardless of race, is much more likely to die, because they're not going to kill off a regular. Terrell didn't die because he was black - he died because he wasn't Kirk. ;)

18. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

A fate shared by countless red shirts.

Of course most of them were White, which means.... I have no idea, but I am sure it means something and I am offended by that!

19. AustNerevar

The redshirt death thing just goes to further prove the racism, implying that only white people are worthy of dying for their cause.

20. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those threads really did blow up into giant crap storms. You'd think there would be room for a differing point of view.