IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Where Marcus and April already with Section 31 at the time April deserted Starfleet?

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So do the Gorn issue and the Romulan/Klingon War issues have titles?

3. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

The Gorn issue doesn't seem to have a title anywhere in the issue...

4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So who is ready for the khan mini series?

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe whoever wrote the title had Gorn Orff before they had a chance to use it.

7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i am. can't wait to see what kind of story they tell.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

10. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But the ships on the left side of the cover - the side with the Klingon trefoil - look far more Klingon than Romulan. No, unless the cover is supposed to be "Klingon vs. Klingong", I'm pretty sure the ones on the right are supposed to be Romulan.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Didn't the "Vulcan's Vengeance" storyline in issues 7-8 show the Romulans getting hold of the Narada's specs?

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, if they did that in an earlier issue it's suddenly much less of a problem. I had this vision of all 23rd century Romulans being rewritten as bald, tattooed and flying black squid ships just because Nero did.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^No, "Vulcan's Vengeance" showed the 23rd-century Romulans with hair and no tattoos, and I believe we saw some BoP-style Romulan ships in it.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or maybe they did have would but it just would Klingon.

15. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well the gorn issue was incredibly lightweight with almost no plot at all. I think single issue stories only work well as character pieces and not always then. What was interesting was the amount of canon and backstory that was referenced, including, I assume, the plot of the game. I'd buy a comic version of the game plot actually.

I did like that they put some effort into the landing party so we had to male and two female secuirty guards - success! - and it was nice to see that the third tier regulars such as Zahra and the orion dude Kai making an appearance.

It felt very much like a filler issue to make up the numbers for the trade paperback but plot elements will be carried forward so lets see where it leads...

16. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I pretty much am in agreement with what you've said. I would have liked to have seen a comic book adaptation of the game as well, or a novelization.

I had been looking forward to this issue, but the story came off as nothing special and bit predictable. I was hoping to learn more about the new take on the Gorn, and while we get a rehash of the new Gorn origins and a little bit more, I didn't think it was enough. I was also hoping they would reconcile the new Gorn origin with a more traditional take on the Gorn, and I think there was a sliver of opportunity there but they didn't go that route.

I also thought Kirk sidelining Spock was odd, though it was nice that they referenced Into Darkness and the comics After Darkness as for Kirk's reasons why.

I also liked the security team and hope we see more minor characters get face time and development. I think they need a regular security officer. Even if it's just for the comics.

17. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sorry if I'm dragging the discussion back to the previous arc again, I've always struggled to wrap my head around the concept of Pon Farr and I thought the Ongoing take on it was quite interesting.

Spoilers ahead for those who haven't read the After Darkness arc.

My question is, why did tricking the Vulcans' bodies into thinking they were on Vulcan cure their Pon Farr effects? In Amok Time, Spock did not get cured of his blood fever simply by beaming onto Vulcan. If someone could clarify this, I'd really appreciate it.

18. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ Because... magic! :shifty:

It's just one of those strange affects that Nero's temporal incursion had, just like he somehow gave Vulcans in plak tow evil red glowy eyes! ;)

19. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Isn't it something to do with Vulcan having blown up accelerating their Pon Farr cycles so they come much earlier than they should? Apart from that, I really don't know what to say about this.

20. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hmm I don't recall them saying anything about that, but I could re-read it again. I know that it was mentioned that some Vulcans got so overcome by grief after the destruction of Vulcan that they descended into a Plak Tow kind of madness, but curing them shouldn't be the same as curing Spock, who was actually undergoing Pon Farr.